Super Host! why do I not feel Super!

This morning I received an email from AIRBnB saying I’m a x4 Super Host!

They say ‘Congrats’. You would think using the whole word would be better for a start.

They then list all the benefits I’m going to get from them such as a ‘free photographer’ but only if its available in my area! there is not one! I can have 86 Euros’ to book a holiday via, Yes, AirBnB so they can have some of the 86 Euros’ back!! There is also a long list of other ‘benefits’ which are not so much benefits for Hosts as ways to get more customers for yes Airbnb.

The whole thing is insulting considering how much money they make out of us.

What about, 'your a Super Host we will give you back some of your own money. They take none of the risk as its only a website! and bank our money, their daily balance, on the stock market making billions from what we are providing; not them.

Yes, I was doing this work before the even existed, so we did not need them.

Like Taxis with Uber, they cream off our profits from our work and investments.

I never use the FANGs - Facebook, AIrbnb/Amazon, Netflix, Google, they have their teeth in everything.

I’m feeling a little more Super now!!!.

3 Likes

Oh dear @AndrewAndrews - seems like their marketing email hasn’t got you off to a great start this weekend.

I like having Superhost status for a) ease of access in contacting them b) I use the voucher for a weekend break to explore a new area locally and c) the boost I get in the listings making it more likely that I get booked.

I guess what I am saying is recognise it’s a marketing initiative and don’t sweat the small stuff :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Americans seem to have recently taken up regularly using the word “congrats” for “congratulations”. I am not sure why just now because it has been in common use in Australia like that for decades. Then again we shorten words whenev poss. Probably some celebrity used it on Twitter while congratulating another celebrity for wearing a dress or something.

6 Likes

We have just regained our superhost status (we lost it for a year after I misunderstood the consequences of cancelling an “instant booking” we couldn’t accommodate).

We also are a bit underwhelmed with the supposed “benefits” of being a superhost. We have tracked our bookings for 4 years now, and we saw no upturn in bookings when we got it the first time, and no downturn in bookings when we lost it - our bookings have been increasing steadily over the last 4 years - gaining/losing superhost status seemed to make no difference at all.

Of course, this may not be the case in more competitive markets than ours. But I do remember reading (on here?) that others had found the same thing - i.e. superhost status does little to boost your bookings. This reassured me when we lost it a year ago.

So my advice is that you should be happy to have achieved superhost status, but don’t fret if you subsequently lose it. It isn’t that big a deal.

2 Likes

Newbies to Australia struggle with: let’s meet at Maccas

3 Likes

SH 7th time in a row, 100 percent ego here. Nothing to do with business. Just a challenge offered and met.

2 Likes

Yesterday morning I received an email from AirBnb saying I’m a x6 Superhost! Yay!

Then, under “Extra Perks,” the email provided a hyperlink to a web page with a $100 travel coupon, explaining, “Your travel coupon must be used for a single reservation and expires on Jun [sic] 30, 2019.” Yay!

Then, when I tried to use the coupon, I got a pop-up informing me that the coupon was in fact invalid and expired! Boo!

I called Airbnb and was informed that a) I already used my once-every-12-months Superhost travel coupon late last year, b) similar incorrect emails have just gone out to many Superhosts, c) their IT team is working on correcting the glitch, and d) they apologize for their misleading email. Boo!

When I complained that the email wasn’t “misleading” but was in fact COMPLETELY INCORRECT, the rep spoke to her supervisor and gave me a new code for a new once-every-12-months $100 travel coupon, even though it’s only been six months since I got the last one. Yay!

6 Likes

I, and several others here got two coupons/codes last year. Nice for me but their inability to track these things doesn’t inspire confidence.

3 Likes

When do the NEW vouchers expire where the system lets us pick between photography or a voucher?
It says we have until 12/31/2019 to decide.
Does that mean if we decide for the voucher on 12/31/2019 that we have 1 day to use it, or will it be another 6 (or 12) months from there on out?

They used to send the vouchers out automatically, and it would expire 12 months after issuing (just like any other of their vouchers).

Thank you

Logic dictates you need to use it by the end of the voucher date you have been given.

If you know you want to use it photography book it for the best time of year for your listing.

I haven’t been given a voucher end date, that’s what I’m trying to figure out.

Sorry I thought from your initial post

That you had been sent a notification from Airbnb that you had received a voucher for being a superhost at the end of last year, that said you had until the end of ‘12/31/2019 to decide’.

All I can tell you is that I receive a notification annually that I have my superhost status with the voucher code and when I go into:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/hosting/rewards

I have a notification which says

Redeem your travel coupon

Treat yourself to an adventure! To use your $100 travel coupon, just add the code below as your payment method when you book a listing.

And a code for example 12345678910 is shown that you can add on check out when making a booking.

The voucher end date, is a year from when you receive the email notification from Airbnb that you have been granted superhost status with the voucher code.

Apparently the only country where this has happened: McDonald’s Australian Rebrand: “Macca’s”, a Local Slang Name
https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2013/01/28/mcdonalds-australian-rebrand-maccas-a-local-slang-name/id=33908/

Right I have until 12/31/2019 to decide whether I want the $100 travel voucher OR free photography. What happens in regards to the expiration date if I pick the voucher as my superhost gift on 12/31/2019?

I would assume that the voucher will be generated once I make the decision, and expire 1 year from that date.

This would be good to know because it could potentially mean we have close to 2 years to redeem the voucher, as long as we wait until December to request the voucher.

1 Like

Just a warning to all Superhosts. I received a reward on 08 October of either a discount on my next Airbnb booking or a free photography session. I clearly indicated that I choose the free photography session and followed the online prompts. A photographer got in touch, took great pictures and upload to Airbnb. I was delighted and thought this was a great incentive from Airbnb. Till I got my next payout a week or two later and saw R1362 deducted from my payout for the photography. It has now been more than two weeks and I am still no closer to Airbnb recognizing the mistake and paying my money due. What was suppose to be a reward has now just left a bitter taste in my mouth. Be warned, don’t trust anything from Airbnb!!

What country is this in? Wondering about how much it cost you in US $.

My guess would be Rand, so about $90?

That’s about right since the SH award is $100.

Hi, I am in South Africa. Aprox 100$. Not so much the money but the principle that is upsetting.

2 Likes

Have you been contacting them via email or calling them up by phone? On the one occasion I have emailed about an issue, I was completely ignored for several weeks, but phone calls have always had positive results.