Super host questions

I see two different requirements for stars. One place on Airbnb says minimum of 4.7 and another says 4.8. Which is it?
And do I have to have 10 stays every quarter for the past 365 days?
It’s a little confusing.

4.7 is the base target Airbnb gives. 4.8 is what you need for Superhost.
10 stays over the previous 365 days. Superhost stats are assessed every quarter, but based on the previous 365 days activity.

You can easily see the requirements and your current stats by going to the Superhost page from your dashboard or the hosting menu.

3 Likes

What is a base target?

It just means it’s some arbitrary bar that Airbnb sets that hosts are supposed to strive for and and stress about maintaining. They apparently send “warnings” when hosts fall below a certain star rating, in spite of them allowing obviously retaliatory, revengeful, or just plain off-the-wall star ratings by objectionable guests to stand.

3 Likes

Have you come across the Airbnb Help website? If not have a look it has FAQs around most of the basics around how their platform works @Cyndyrr327

For example

1 Like

Uuugggghhh I’ll have a 4.77 by October 1 :cry:

Sadly a short negative stay gets as much weight as a long positively rated stay. If you have a high number of minimum nights, you might consider allowing some shorter stays for a couple months and figuring out what makes guests happy or less happy about their stays. Many hosts here will tell you not to worry about Superhost status. I think it only matters in highly competitive Airbnb markets.

2 Likes

Don’t become obsessed by becoming a superhost, there are hardly any benefits associated with being one any more. @Cyndyrr327

3 Likes

I look at it the other way: a short positive stay counts just as much as a long negative stay. I don’t like hosting short stays but I host them primarily to increase the number of reviews.

SuperHost status may not be helpful but it certainly doesn’t hurt. It used to be quite common for hosts in my area to cancel on guests, and they would ask me whether I will cancel on them. I would send them my SuperHost stats and assure them that I don’t cancel on guests and that’s why I’m a SuperHost. SuperHost is definitely helpful if you are are trying to maximize your revenue.

2 Likes

On the other hand I have read many posts over the years from hosts who had Superhost status and lost it for various reasons and said it made no difference in terms of their bookings.

I think the main thing for hosts to keep in mind is not to stress over it, and to realize that it’s basically a carrot Airbnb dangles to stress hosts out. Which often leads to hosts being afraid to curtail bad guest behavior in fear of getting a bad retaliation review.

If you are a responsible host, vet guests well, and have some skills in knowing how to deal with guests breaking rules in a diplomatic way, so as not to elicit animosity, you will likely have high ratings and Superhost without giving it much thought. I wasn’t even aware of the Superhost designation when I started hosting and was taken by surprise when I got my first “Congratulations, you’re a Superhost!” email.

And there’s nothing you can do about fusspot, demanding, complaining guests who give undeserved low ratings anyway, so no point losing sleep over it.

9 Likes

This is a skill I need to learn.

2 Likes

Ok, so I know most of you say it doesn’t matter, but I still want to understand. So when it is evaluated in January 2023 are they only looking at the last quarter (Oct. - Dec 2022) or the last 365 days?

Would someone need 10 stays from Oct - Dec or could it be any time in the last 365?

1 Like

The Superhost stats are based on the previous 365 days activity as of each 3 month assessment date, as I said in my original answer to your post. Not sure what is confusing about that.

So at the Oct.1st 2022 assessment, your stats from Oct 1st, 2021- Sept. 30 2022 are factored in. You can easily see the date range each assessment period is using by looking at the assessment periods at the top of the stats on the Superhost page.

1 Like

@muddy dang! No need to be condescending. If it bothers you to answer questions u can just keep scrolling

2 Likes

I wasn’t being condescending, I was trying to understand why how I explained it wasn’t clear. And I just told you how to access the date range, because that gives you the exact dates that the assessment is based on, so no guessing involved.

2 Likes

I lost superhost early last winter because I was sick and didn’t know what I had so cancelled a guest.

What’s bad is that the “cancellation rate” keeps going up with fewer bookings. Haven’t had nearly as many this summer as last and at the rate I’m going, I’ll never see “super” again.

Oh well.

I think that cancellation drops off after a year

4 Likes

But not being a superhost doesn’t necessarily mean the converse. Because someone isn’t a superhost doesn’t mean that they do cancel on guests. That is what your statement would seem to infer to guests and this isn’t true.

1 Like

Good point. I lost the Superhost status I’d had for over 3 years because I closed my homeshare to bookings for 2 years due to Covid. Airbnb determined that despite solid 5 star ratings, I was apparently no longer Superhost material because I considered the health of myself and guests to take priority over putting service fees in their coffers.

I have never cancelled a booking.

Some hosts have lost Superhost because of a 1* undeserved rating that Airbnb refused to remove.

Etc.

3 Likes

Some hosts have lost Superhost because of a 1* undeserved rating that Airbnb refused to remove

Blockquote

Exactly. This is how I lost mine… But it hasnt hurt bookings, presumably as my other reviews are stellar…So I now realize that kvetching over SH was useless.