Summer Intern wants to arrive with family to "move in"?

Yes but you posted it here for the edification of all - that’s the main thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have helicopter parents & their son as guests right now. He has them wrapped around his little finger. The parents are nice enough, but the twenty something guy is too much. He had to inspect the entire place while his parents held their breath that he would find it acceptable. Ha! They both breathed a sigh of relief when he said, “It’s fine.” Things are so different today than when I was growing up.

1 Like

No lots of women used the term, just a little sexism at play :frowning: I’ve heard lots of women in the south use it.

1 Like

Thank you - I was beginning to wonder if it was just me!

I just wanted to inject a note of caution in this very entertaining thread re helicopter parents …

We know a young guy who we have befriended since he came to Spain as a Language Assistant in a school for his University year abroad, so 20-21 years old. We were very surprised that his parents had both come here with him and stayed for several days to help him settle in (separate apartment, where he was staying for 6 months) and we made the usual noises about over-protective parents to each other. We learnt from him later that he had Asperger’s/high-functioning autism, and that coming to a new country, and living away from home for the first time (necessary for his degree) was initially a hugely stressful experience.

I’m not saying that katnhat’s guest is in the same position, but it did just show us that maybe we shouldn’t rush to judgement on these things.

7 Likes

That’s complete bollocks! I have used the term(s) since being brought up by an Irish father, a very literate and colourful one, since my early teens. Oh, and I’m female, and past 60.

My husband bought me a Barbour jacket after seeing me, wistfully, trying it on. He said it was “the cat’s pyjamas”, I said “the dog’s bollocks”, with a huge thank you. It still comes out, with holes and tears, but still referred to as both.

2 Likes

The impulse for the older generation to criticize the younger ones is apparently very strong as it’s existed as long as I can remember. “Over protective” parents have also always existed we just have new ways (cell phones) to over protect and new words (helicopter) to describe them.

I prefer the bee’s bollocks, it’s more alliterative and the furry appendages sound more cute that way.

Never heard of that one ! @Jess1

I have summer homestay students mostly from overseas for about 10 years. The helicopter thing has slowly crept up. As they are paying they want to have some say in the transaction. Fine, but the last one came with his parents (he was 23) and brought a massive TV, bedside table, a bookcase and a large fancy floor rug. I was so flabbergasted that I just sat in the kitchen thinking what to do. I had said no additional items as the room was fully furnished (I dont mind the odd cushion or small rug) The floor is wooden and has a good size rug which he rolled up and put under the bed. They then went off to IKEA to buy more stuff to make his room look “bright”. Then when they finally left quite late in the evening, his mother was in tears and begged me to “look after him”. Once they left he practically jumped in the air and clicked his heels. On leaving he had sold the TV, dumped the rug and bookcase and went to live in a Houseshare with similar aged friends two blocks away!

I also had one from Chile who asked if his parents could STAY in his room for TWO weeks during the summer homestay. He just couldnt understand why I said no, no and again no. I found the leaflets of local Hotels I had given him in the bin. lol :rofl:

Another girl said her brother was coming from France to help her carry her luggage back, could he stay in her room for five nights. Her face when I said yes and that will be xxx£s per night, was worth it! She hadn’t expected an additional charge. I said the nearest hostel was double what I was asking. She was furious.

1 Like

It’s amazing how many women are driving cars and using gadgets these days @Chris :wink:

My son’s great aunt (or possibly great-great aunt - complicated family history) raced a Bugatti in the 1936 South African Grand Prix :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes