Summer Air Conditioner Thermostat set at 60

To be fair, you try living in a climate that ranges from -20 to +100 Fahrenheit, with 90%+ humidity in the summer. I live in Toronto and there are basically two months of the year (if we’re lucky) where one can keep the inside temperature around 70 degrees without resorting to heating or cooling. Plus we have birds that wake us up at 5AM every morning in the spring and summer if we leave the windows open overnight. Eventually you just give up.

That being said, some people have pretty bizarre habits when it comes to thermostats. You have to lock them down.

1 Like

I did live in Toronto. But mostly in BC. It’s one reason I don’t live in Canada anymore- there just isn’t enough comfortable weather for me, anywhere. In the summer, where I live now in Mexico, the temps are about 90 degrees with 90% humidity. I honestly don’t mind it- if I get too hot, I just stand in a cool shower. What I can’t handle is being cold.

Most foreigners who live here say they couldn’t survive without AC, but I don’t have it and don’t want it.

There are birds here that wake me up. You haven’t heard anything until you’ve heard what they call a chachalaca- sort of a cross between a wild turkey and a pheasant. They sound like some insane person screaming. Not around all the time. I often use earplugs.

I’m already sweating. :sweat_smile: I’m definitely in the 68 - 70 degrees Fahrenheit club.

1 Like

I’ve no AC issued to worry about, very few places in Scotland have it for the 10 days a year it might be useful.

We instead had the opposite issue the last two weeks. It was 18-20 degrees Celsius outside (64-68F), which is regarded as warm for this time of year, and the guest put the heating on. Further to that, the windows were left open. Maddening.

2 Likes

I would put the heat on if the indoor temperature was 64 degrees, definitely. “Regarded as warm for this time of year” is irrelevant. What is regarded as warm in one place is regarded as cold in another. And the outside temperature, which people are accustomed to having to dress accordingly for, has nothing to do with at what temperature people feel comfortable when indoors, relaxing and not being physically active.

However, I would’t blast the heat and I certainly would’t have the heat on with the windows open.

Not me. Not a chance! But I run hot it would appear.

I quoted outside temperatures. It’s a modern build with good insulation and a big south western facing window. At that time in the afternoon, it would easily be 4-5 degrees celsius hotter. The guest also lives nearby and was returning from abroad and decided to self-isolate. So, she’d be well acclimatised to Scottish summers.

Ah… I can emphasis a little bit with the guest. Every time I go back to Scotland I find it absolutely freezing, even in summer. When I was over in March I rarely ventured out without several layers and a scarf, which amused my cousin as I met him in the pub and he’d walked to it in a pullover, no jacket.

I wouldn’t have been an arse about it though, and put heating on with windows open, it’s one or the other.

JF

I recently installed a lockbox from Amazon on my smart thermostat. They have learned to unplug the WiFi if they want to go below or above my set limits. My limit is 75. Not above or below.

Then I would never be able to stay with you. I could never be comfortable in 75 degrees, year-round.

3 Likes

And…that’s ok. My information on the site says to bring appropriate clothes for the season. We have people come here in the winter with their summer clothes and then expect the heat to take care of their needs. Also in the summer they come here without checking what the temp is here and crank the air down to 62. Then don’t come to Arizona during the summer! I’m going into my 7th year. Don’t need EVERYONE to stay at my place.

1 Like

If that is clear in your listing, I probably wouldn’t book you either. It isn’t the temperature that’s the main issue, it’s the level of control you’d be imposing and it’d make me wonder what other (undisclosed) controls you’d impose on amenities, or simply the stay in general.

JF

5 Likes

I agree with you. A lid for every pot as they say. It doesn’t matter if hosts here wouldn’t stay with you as long as you have all the business you want or need.

It’s the people who come here looking for advice on improving their listing or getting more bookings and then won’t listen to any of the advice that I don’t understand.

5 Likes

The Sensi app now has a governor. I love it.

It works until the super cranky ones come. They unplug the WiFi and do whatever they want.

I agree. People have many reasons to use Airbnb. The friends I talk to always mention that the cost is always less than the hotels. I don’t see why we should let them run up the electric bill when they are paying less money and have access to kitchens and 2nd baths and more space in general.

I have noticed since Covid hit that they tend to leave the windows open more. It is what they find when they first enter the home and must appreciate it.

Everyone likes to complain about the weather, lol. My internal thermostat says “You are cold” at 68 degrees when I’m up and about. I’m with the British on the cool room and lots of blankets at night. I also wonder how accurate our thermostats are. Mine is probably 30 years old.

1 Like

Hi, I’ve encountered a similar problem, it’s not very pleasant.

Hi, I’ve encountered a similar problem, it’s not very pleasant. But it doesn’t lead to a breakdown, and it just leads to discomfort. Well, I’ve had it that way. It just makes me uncomfortable. However, low temperatures don’t hurt our air conditioner. I have a smart thermostat, and I can remotely adjust the temperature/variable current and set high and low settings. The only thing to worry about is health, and it definitely won’t break down. I recently bought myself a new generation air conditioner. It has one very cool function, it takes care of your health and selects the optimal temperature. Together with the air conditioner, a clock reads your data and determines the optimum temperature for you. I hope my information was helpful. airconservicing.