Summer 2021 travel bookings surge

It’s been widely reported in the UK that as a result of the goverments “roadmap out of lockdown” being published, several of the budget airlines and some of the tour operators have seen a massive increase in bookings from July onwards, the majority for August and September.

Despite question marks over the return of international travel, the UK’s biggest holiday operator, Tui, said bookings jumped 500% overnight.

EasyJet also reported a 337% surge in flight bookings and a 630% jump in holiday bookings for locations such as Alicante, Malaga, Palmo, Faro and Crete.

All good news for European based hosts, especially those of us here in Spain. We’ve already got a few bookings for July/August, so here’s hoping for a better second half of 2021 than the first!

JF

5 Likes

We just had our best January and February ever in 20 years at one property and 14 at the other. This is our low season. We filled half the month and that’s with leaving 2 nts beteeen bookings. We are going to stop that in June.

1 Like

@JohnF

Thank you for sharing the article. I saw a similar article for the USA. I’m a mostly drive to destination but some fly-ins, I think it all depends on getting the vaccine distributed.

Are you in the UK?

JF

We’re actually both.

A lot of our business is folks touring Andalucía by car, but we do have a lot that head here via Sevilla or Jerez airports, coming mainly for the sherry and the flamenco.

Our normal summer season is almost entirely made up of guests from Northern Europe, with the odd one from elsewhere. Allowing European travel will be a big boost for us.

Incidentally, our Jan was best ever, but this month is dire in comparison to previous years. We’d normally be full right now, but the flamenco festival has been pushed back to May.

JF

No- we are in the U.S. --Colorado, on the edge of the national park.

I’m a bit anxious about my summer. Not because of Covid19 but the increased competition.

Real estate sales here are & have been crazy good. It seems every condo sold in my area is also listed on VRBO or Airbnb or property management company.
Micro comparison: my neighborhood of 200 condos had approximately 8-10 listed for STR 2019&2020. This year it is easily >17.

I’m confident that as owners find out the work & maintenance involved, the newbies will weed themselves out. In the meantime lots of competition, many at ridiculously low prices.

1 Like

I guess I am just lucky, I have never been competitive with pricing and I am still booked all the time. I am in a destination area, lots of STR’s and like you said, it seems they all are becoming STR’s.

RR

1 Like

It’s like that for us with Airbnb right now. Around sixty new listings over the past month or so, some pretty reasonable looking places, but at prices that’ll hardly cover the bills.

Fortunately, with BDC it’s the inverse, only two thirds or so of the listings that were available a year ago, which is probably why we’re getting almost exclusively BDC guests as opposed to Airbnb. VRBO been very quiet for us this year, but once travel bans start getting lifted I’m hoping we’ll see them pick up.

No, it isn’t down to luck. It’s having a decent product, coupled with good reviews. Do you really want the bargain hunters that head for the cheapest listings?

JF

2 Likes