Suggestion cards

I’m with you, Maggieroni. I mean, why would I seek and encourage suggestions from my guests on how I might improve the rental environment and their experience; I am offering what is there. Why would I prod them toward critiquing what I have or have not provided. The answer is, I wouldn’t…unless its because it feels so good when they stop.

Nope, sorry. I’m not interested in urging guests to find fault. I’m of the keep-it-to-yourself ilk. No input required.

My listing sets forth in detail and photos what I am providing. The decor and amenities evolve and improve…but they are according to my needs as an owner who vacations in the unit. The comments I get from guests expound on how I’ve “thought of everything” and that it is “so organized” and “beyond expectations”. So my M.O. must be working in my situation, at least.

My message to guests is, welcome, enjoy your stay, have a great vacation and I hope you take home some wonderful memories.

(oops, I got carried away and just fell off my soapbox.)

2 Likes

Ha ha ha ha ha well u get what i mean. U r soooo right! Expletive deleted lol

Hi @SandyToes,

So, you don’t care if your guests leave reviews? I suppose if you already have a lot of excellent reviews, you don’t really need more. Do you care about the Superhost thing?

Hi faheem,

To clarify, I do seek and want reviews…I don’t “need” them but I do want them; that is, provided they are 5-star ones. [grin]

I do have a lot of excellent reviews, nearly 70 five-star and 3(?) four-star; nothing lower. Many travelers mention in their inquiry that the reviews tipped the scale for them in choosing my rental, so for me I cannot discount the importance of reviews.

Having so many reviews is ridiculous because we all know travelers don’t read much and they may scan only the first few. But the number is impressive and the more recent the review, the more weight it carries.

After a guest departs, I snail mail a handwritten (handmade) thank-you card and include a short blurb requesting a review of their stay if they are so inclined. It’s a one-time only request and if they choose not to submit one, that’s okay by me. I am sure that if I sat on my hands, I wouldn’t have received but a handful of reviews.

l do share every review with the housecleaner because it keeps her on her toes (I must have a toe fetish) and she is really the backbone of the success of my rental.

What I was saying in this thread is that I am not a fan of asking guests for their opinions and suggestions on how I can improve my rental to give them an optimum experience. Phooey on that. I’m not a masochist and I’m much too sensitive to criticism. My policy is more towards, you don’t like what you see? Then get outta’ my store. (ha!)

To be fair, when I first started self-managing my rental, I did ask feedback from guests for improvements, etc., so I do understand when one is a newbie. But with time, one gains confidence and the fawning and bowing and scraping and wringing of hands are thrown to the side with vigor.

According to many owners, todays’ guests have changed. The polite and grateful guest is more of a rarity and current-day guests have taken on an air of entitlement and power. I call it the new breed of the “monster guest”. I am doing my part by not contributing to the proliferation of the monster guest and am not relinquishing any power or soliciting input on how I run my rental.

(Note to self: Do not check computer when getting up for a drink of water.)

3 Likes

Hi @SandyToes,

3 four star reviews (if you don’t know exactly how many, check your stats page) out of 70+ is impressive. What is your secret?

Heh. I send them a short email.

I too hope I shall soon be able to dispense with the bowing and scraping and wringing of hands.

I can’t remember if I have seen your rental. Would you care to share a link?

The reviews are on another site and I would have to sift through a lot of screens to locate the 4-star reviews…not interested.

I recall the first 4-star was a mark down because of street noise, specifically sirens. What did they expect from me?! (“Yes sir, I’ll get right on it and see what I can do…perhaps get them to re-route their emergency vehicles.”) sheesh! In the guest’s defense, they were on their honeymoon and probably preferred to hear ‘sweet nothings’ or bells and whistles, or even fireworks…certainly not sirens.

One of the reviews was actually a stellar review ~ never could figure out why the 4 stars. The other one or two slip my mind ~ obviously they were not justified. (ha!)

(I have only four reviews so far on Air but five more bookings on the horizon.)

I’ve been told the lower ratings give validation to the 5-stars ones. It knocked the wind out of my sails each time though. Actually, my numbers aren’t that impressive because it has taken me years to accumulate them. I see Airhosts who have garnered way over 100 reviews (5-star) in a couple of years! Wa-ay out of my league.

I don’t have a ‘secret’ other than trying to provide good value for the guest’s hard-earned vacation money. Their comfort is my top priority and I provide most of the necessities and conveniences that I like to have when on vacation. My relationship with the guest is solely via email so I kill them with kindness, friendliness and helpfulness from the get-go. Their reviews all make it seem like they have dealt with me in person!

The outcome would be different if I hosted guests under roof, trust me. The ratings would be in reverse order.