STR discrimination

For as long as I can remember there have been various rules and regulations in our city because it’s almost always been a popular tourist destination.

In most cases that I’ve come across, these regulations have been for pretty good reasons concerning the health and safety of guests.

Another effect though, is that these measures deter the amateur ‘let’s have a go under the radar’ hosts. That’s also a good thing.

The only requirement that I had an issue with was that each rental should have a landline.

I was prepared to do battle at city hall if necessary but it turned out that this was a hangover from pre-cellphone days anyway and annual inspectors have never even mentioned it.

1 Like

In the UK long term rentals are governed by their own legislation and regulations and have been for many years @Peaches

I’m surprised you don’t have tenancy rights or other regulations such as building codes that relate to LTR.

As an LTR I have to abide by a range of regulations that STR owners don’t such as annual boiler checks, fire regs, EPC ratings, tenancy deposit deposit schemes etc

3 Likes

This is not adversarial. It is about public safety. I went through public hearings and inspections from every agency. The ordinances are important, they protect me and the community, as well as the paying guests. And yes, you should definitely get business insurance.
Airbnb terms of service state that we are obligated to comply with all local regulations and laws.

6 Likes