Stove Upgrade- electric or propane?

I get your point but OP is in the US and said propane is already available in the home so it really should not be a big issue. Sounds a bit more complicated where you are in Spain. And in 30 years of cooking on both natural gas and propane, I’ve never ruined a pan. Given the fact that it’s a rental, and we all know how guests are, they can probably do just as much damage to gas or electric. OP just needs to decide what she prefers.

It was a joke… I just ruin pans, period :grinning:

JF

2 Likes

As it turns out this stove is demanding to replaced sooner rather than later- the currents guests just contacted me because the oven bake element is turning itself on and off. So, I’m actually going to go ahead and replace it this weekend as soon as they leave. The decision has been made for me- electric it is! (Because I can do that install myself on the weekend, unlike running the propane to the kitchen from downstairs).
Thanks for the (lively) discussion on the topic.
Now, I just need to appease the current guests until Sat.

2 Likes

As do many people. And that’s why I don’t allow guests to cook. I’ve had them try but have never given in. I came out of my bedroom one morning and a young couple were unloading their cooler with eggs, bacon, potatoes, the whole nine yards. The look on my face must have said it all because he just turned around and put it all back and said “sorry.” Heck, I don’t even allow family to cook when they’re here.

In the current environment In the USA with restaurants open Limited hours with reduced menus and restricted seating, I need a kitchen. I don’t go out to eat very often—this year.

Most of my guests this summer Commented they appreciated the well equipped kitchen because they prepared most of their meals

1 Like

Pot. Kettle. Black.

To both of you.

3 Likes

Yuck. Give me a well seasoned cast iron pan any day. My kitchen has cast iron skillets & griddle, enameled cast iron casseroles (Le Creuset), and many Revere Ware pots (stainless with a bonded copper bottom layer).

Food doesn’t stick if you are cooking it properly.

I have NO teflon. The non-stick skillet in the B&B kitchen has a ceramic coating (and silicone and bamboo non-scratch spatulas!).

2 Likes

Yes. But you do full home/condo rental where a kitchen is expected. I do shared home 4 day max. And given the current environment, I do everything I can to limit the areas guests and I share which means no kitchen, living room, hallways, etc. they have free roam of the outside spaces and I have a separate entrance to my areas. But I’ve never allowed use of my kitchen and it has not impacted my ability to rent my space. With a 4 day max, they’re here for the beach, not my kitchen.

Ok. As I’ve said many time before each host can manage their property as they see fit.

You are correct.

I use cast iron on mine but I must be careful to lift up/down because sliding will scratch the cook top. Dropping it can break the cooktop.

I have glass top stoves in my home & rentals.

Yes overall easy cleaning. A couple times a year I give them a good cleaning with a scraper blade & polishing/cleaning cream.

Then I guess it’s safe you won’t be staying at my home when yours are just 40 minutes down 17. Lol. We all do what works for us and it’s different for each of us. That’s the beauty of Airbnb.

1 Like

I do much of my own maintenance. Gas anything, I will not touch:

I paid $100 for a tech to inspect gas fire logs & light pilot light that had never been used in the 8 years since the home was built

I didn’t want to blow myself up…

All was fine and it took him only about 15 minutes to inspect it, light the logs and give me a tutorial. Expensive yes but money well spent.

Here are some listings in Maine for used propane cooktops and stoves. In theory, the listings are supposed to be for propane but it won’t work that way, so you may need to view listing details or sometimes msg the seller for clarification. Other apps that can be worth looking at include letgo and offerup.

We have gotten good deals on some really nice appliances, where people were doing kitchen renovations. A nice feature of better modern cooktops and stoves is they run a tiny electric current through the gas. If the flame goes out or has not yet lit, the autolight keeps trying.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/105923419438391/search?query=propane%20cooktop
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/105923419438391/search?query=propane%20stove

1 Like

My guests have been known to burn rice. They are enthusiastic but inexperienced!

1 Like

Yes, I am also getting people who inquire about the kitchen before they arrive, use it while here, and compliment it when they leave. It is not fancy but it is fully stocked to do all the basics, from heating up a frozen pizza to making a cake. I have a coffee grinder, stick blender, potato masher, and lots of little extras like that. Plus I provide Maine-made maple syrup and maple sugar, yum!

1 Like

No fire source in my listing. Electric glass heating plates or induction plates may not be as confortable to use as gas plates for some, but the ratio « added customer happiness if I had gas plates » to « risk of the guest blowing up my neighborhood » is way too low.

I have simply seen too many stupid or childish guests to put dangerous appliances in their hands.

I have an inherited cottage colony on Cape Cod built in the 50’s. All use propane stoves (apartment size so slightly different options) and only one is set up to have pilots for the top burners, as rest use matches/lighter. They have pilots for oven and i haven’t had any customer issues in the 18 years that I have run it.

The advantage of these is that they thus don’t require any power so work even in power outages.
The main difference in cooking is that it’s instant heat and instant off vs electric has to warm up and cool down.

Converting last one from natural to LP involved adjusting a regulator nut and swapping out orifices (free from manufacturer).

I am looking for a gas stove update if anyone can guide me on upgradeing then it will much appreciatable.

Can you provide more info: your country, make & model of unit?

Are you looking to go from gas to LP or LP to gas?