Storing bags for guests pre check-in and and post check-out?

I like my 4 hrs of no guest freedom. Plus I wake up anywhere between 10am and 2pm everyday so if they want to check in before 3pm it interrupts my precious sleep. Haha

1 Like

Rightā€¦ But usually I just tell them they can only leave it in the carport (perfectly safe) but I canā€™t guarantee that I will be here to watch it. Iā€™m like Faheem. I donā€™t want that responsibility and I donā€™t want to be tied down to having to be home to dispense their luggage to them whenever they feel like picking it up.

This is my experience too. And why I donā€™t go out of my way to allow them to leave bags.

I wouldnā€™t do it.
Iā€™ve never been asked, probably because we are out of the City so once people arrive they want to stay, not drop bags off and then come back to check in.
I think once bags are here so are the guests. I will be flexible with my check in/out times if it suits me, but Iā€™m not going to drive to the house for a bag drop off (whole house listing here) and then go back to check in and repeat it again on check out.

1 Like

So if nobody follows the rules, what exactly is the point of making such a long list?? Honestly, I find them very off-putting. Also, theyā€™re so long itā€™s not surprising that few people read them. The ones that do actually read them probably move swiftly on to another listing! I know I would. They make you seem a grumpy and jaded host in my opinion, sorry. So it seems to me that you will continue to get bad guests who donā€™t read the rules. Do you do a thorough house tour and explain everything directly to the guest(s)? That seems to work much better than having written rules.

3 Likes

I allow luggage drop-off and collect because itā€™s not a big deal for me. I do resent it being expected, though. Plus Iā€™ve also learned to be clear and firm that luggage is packed up and stored by the front door and that no, you donā€™t get to come back in, have a shower, make coffee, hang out for a few hours until your flight, no no no.

2 Likes

ME TOO !!! That is the absolute truth.

1 Like

There are many self storage services do check out for online info

For the first time, Iā€™ve been asked to store something by a guest. I live in a very rural area, so there are no self storage type places. Anyway, she is driving up from NYC, spending a few days at a very remote cabin on a pond a bit more north than my place (she has to walk in about 1/2 mile), she went there yesterday.
She is arriving at my home on Saturday, spending the night, then leaving at approx 6am on Sunday for this really unique bike tour with about 200 other cyclists. My town does set up a ā€˜tent cityā€™ for the bicyclists, but she prefers to sleep in a bed.
Anyway, she asked me to store her bike and two saddlebags that go on her bike for the few days before she arrives here while she is visiting the cabin on the pond.
Her plan is to get a ride from where she is with some other cyclists to my town on Saturday, leaving her car at the cabin on the pond.
Then, instead of coming back here like many of the other cyclists are doing, she is going to bike back to the cabin on the pond.
Iā€™ve never stored items before for a guest. But I have to say, when we made arrangements for her to drop off the bike, it made more sense for her to meet me at my office as coming to my house would have taken her a bit off course to get the cabin, whereas, she was going to be driving right by my office.
She was extremely considerate, I told her I work 8-4, and she did leave the city a bit earlier just to make sure she would be able to meet me at my convenience, and there she was, right at 4pm as I was departing the building :slight_smile:
Iā€™ve locked her bike and bags in my shed.
Will see if she leaves a decent review or not, or leaves one at all (Iā€™m cool with guests not leaving reviews), but I will ask her to not mention that I did this for her if she does leave a review.
Basically though, this woman will be out at the ā€˜tent cityā€™ until bedtime, as they are going to have a bbq dinner there and some live music early in the evening as they all need to get to bed early, she is going to basically just sleep here.
I think the whole bike tour is super cool and itā€™s awesome to go look at tent city and see the people from all over milling around the town (this is a VERY small town), so I really didnā€™t mind doing this for her.
But it did get me to thinkingā€¦hmmā€¦wonder how much those bike peeps would be willing to pay to take a full shower hahaā€¦the ā€˜tent cityā€™ is in place starting 2 days before the event and 1 day after.
There is a local campground that charges a $10 day pass fee that will allow them to take showers.
But heck, Iā€™d be willing to take their $10 and provide them a clean towel :slight_smile:

Maybe you could mention it to your guest and she could put the word out with folks she chats with and maybe youā€™d get one or two takers.

1 Like

Iā€™m definitely going to do that! Good idea!

1 Like

Or contact the bike tour people directly. They might love to have something like that to offer guests, and may even want to work with you directly on it.

Ahhā€¦good thinkingā€¦I do know the person who is organizing it!
Iā€™m taking over some of the other volunteer duties this weekend in town, as this event requires so many volunteers.

1 Like

If I am at home, I donā€™t have any issue with storing bags. Mostly it is Americans who have just flown into Dublin very early and want to head into the city to explore. I often put the kettle on and have a cup of tea with guests. We donā€™t do storage facilities where I live and I try to treat guests as I would like to be treated and would hate having to drag big bag around. If I go back to work then I wonā€™t be able to provide this for guests but at the moment its not an issue for me

1 Like

Which cycling event is this? Sounds like something Iā€™d like to do :bicyclist:!! Cyclists (of the touring variety) are the best of the best travellers. Perhaps itā€™s the desire to explore a new place in a way that many will never get to experience. The camaraderie, sense of adventure, and curiosity about the world makes cyclists very present in the moment. And of course the endorphin high after a ride makes them very friendly too lol! On behalf of cyclists all over the world @brook2adks thank you for accommodating her - she will no doubt be a very good guest. Tell her on the day of the ride that you wish her tailwinds :relaxed:.

1 Like

@SuiteRetreat, OMGOSH, so I was just over at the area where the Event starts. WOW. Ok, itā€™s not all set up yet, but this is a luxury event! They are going to have vans that carry your bags for you, and itā€™s actually one week long! You start here in Lake Luzerne, but then branch off to different towns spending the nights! And they have mobile port a potties and showers. Iā€™ll take photos of everything tomorrow. There is going to be a BEER GARDEN. Iā€™m soooo there lol. Here is the Facebook page link.
https://www.facebook.com/cycleadirondacks/

1 Like

Awwā€¦thanks :slight_smile:
August is prime season considering the Saratoga Racetrack is open during this one month of the year, many places rake in the bucks, thereā€™s always listings that are just for August up here, people literally go pile up in their families houses to rent out their houses! So, it may seem crazy for me to rent just that one night to someone rather than the 2 night minimum I like to have in August, but this is just a great event! I may take up cycling! I do have a bike that looks really nice stored out there in the shed :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are several bike companies that do turnkey tours of the Big Island. I always thought Bike the Volcano would be great to takeā€¦ and I live here!

1 Like

You should do it sometime! You may meet other people that need an ABB the next time they do it!
Edited to Add:
My son was stationed in Hawaii for a few years, he did some amazing marathon, Iā€™m not sure what island it was on. He said it was one of the highlights of his life! When he gets stateside Iā€™ll ask him which island.

I actually can do all these activities comped because I write for a major guidebook ā€“ just never can seem to find the time!

Probably Honolulu Marathon? That is the big one. Most of the military are stationed on Oahu. We donā€™t have but just bare bones military activity here.