Staying past checkout

I send a message the night before but I also have a sign on the kitchen table (holding pens and wifi passwords) that reminds them that checkout is 10 am and I say that the cleaners will be arriving shortly after. (They really don’t due to COVID but if figure why not write that still) I used to include the cost for late check outs but right now I’m not offering late checkouts with covid.

So you’re saying it’s a compliment.:wink:

Yes. I think the idea of a sign that includes Wi-Fi info (so that it doesn’t seem you’re emphasizing departure), is a good one. I’m going to do that.

1 Like

I write the guests the evening before and let them know late checkout to a specific time (usually 1pm) is ok, if they have time to enjoy Tiny Tiki more. We have an empty night between guests so it is not a problem. If I need them to leave I send text about 40 minutes before 11 am checkout . “lmk when you are packing, and I can come say bye, if you like:)”

1 Like

I’ve recently had this issue with 2 guests (my business is slow right now) and I remind them the night before, it’s in the checkout page I leave on the desk in their room (guests don’t read),.

Like others I say “check in 4pm, checkout 11am” in my messages, reiterate it during the house tour “Do you drink coffee or tea? I’m up at 0630 and I want to make sure there’s a fresh pot for you before your checkout at 11.”

This. I just make it polite and conversational.

I recently knocked on the hallway door for a couple that decided to sleep in, go for a swim, and then a leisurely set of showers - showers started at 11 (check out time)!! Once the water turned off, I waited 5 minutes and then knocked and said “Do you need any help getting your things to the car? Coffee in go-cups?” They really seemed like they wanted to spend the day at the pool!

I don’t fib and say “Getting ready for next guests,” I ask if they need anything for the road (great diner up the street for brekkie) and if they’re loitering, started grabbing towels and setting out cleaning supplies on the hall table.

Oh, that’s nice! I’m an in-home/home share host, but I do like to say “See you before you leave at 11.”

1 Like

If I see the guests on the day before checkout day, I’ll simply say ‘what are your plans for tomorrow?’ that invariably leads to a conversation about what time they need to be at the airport of whatever.

When I hosted in-home, ,many years ago, I’d waylay them when I heard them coming in. These days I have to ambush them as they park their car. :wink:

1 Like

“What are your plans for tomorrow” is something I cover, too. It makes the “Get your butt out by 11” conversation much nicer! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks everyone. You’ve offered some great ideas. I’m going to put it on a sign in the room. Some thing I thought about doing in the past but never got around to. I’m also going to mention it the night before, which I have done. I tell them I want to be up before they are with everything ready so they can be sure to get coffee and breakfast before they leave at 11. All true. You’d think that would be enough, wouldn’t you?

3 Likes

I’d venture to say that (maybe?) one in 20 guests read the listing info…

My worst review 3 stars was from a couple with a child who overstayed their welcome. I sent them an email they would see first thing in the morning explaining they had to be out by 11am (pretty generous) as I had guests arriving early afternoon and needed the time to clean properly. At 11.15am they were still there so I knocked and opened the door and after announcing myself came down the stairs. The kid was in front of the tv, the mum was making a desultory effort to pack and I could hear the husband in the shower. I told her they needed to be out in 10 minutes as per my email. 15 mins later they still hadn’t gone so I went down and said “when I said you had to be out straight away I meant immediately not at your convenience”. Ten minutes later, 45 mins past the checkout time, I saw them drive out. They left me a nasty review saying I had barged into their private space (past checkout time it is all my private space honey) and scared their child. The child had been crying all weekend so I doubt it was due to me. They had also brought their cat and at one stage I could seen a rope from the front door to the tree in the front yard to which I assume was attached said cat. Anyway I have plenty of great reviews and as we point out here often a poor or unfair review is soon buried. In some ways I am glad it is there because should any prospective guests choose to read my worst review they will be alerted to the fact that staying more than 10 minutes past the agreed checkout time will just poke the beast.

2 Likes

This is a key reason we set checkout to 10am. If a guest is running late, it doesn’t screw us.
It’s best to set an early checkout so you have buffer room for same day checkins

A sense of entitlement is definitely one of my buttons.

1 Like

Putting aside the fact that these particular guests were entittled jerks, I think a reminder the afternoon or evening before is much better than early the morning of.

While I personally would always be aware and respectful of check-out time, I’m not an early riser. On vacation, I could easily sleep until 9 or 10 and turn my phone ringer off when I go to sleep and sometimes forget to turn it back on until after I’ve made my coffee. So for late sleepers, early morning reminders could be useless.

And people with kids need more time to pack up and get out. When my kids were young, even if I was on time being ready to get out the door, I’d always leave extra time, because all too often, the two year old, all dressed up in their snowsuit and boots, would say “I have to poo”, or some other thing that meant it was going to take another 10 or 15 minutes.

And hosts have also had guests mistakenly think they had another day left on their booking, be lounging around drinking coffee and reading a book, and be shocked when the host pointed out that it was past check-out time.

2 Likes

Before check out day arrives, I’ve stated four times in written form the (non-flexible) check in and check out times.

• It is one of the House Rules

• The initial, ‘thanks for renting my place, see you in six weeks’

• The text I send a few days prior in which I provide their smart lock code, directions, etc.

• The night before ‘thank you for staying, etc.’ message.

This approach evolved over time and has been successful.

EDIT: I forgot, my physical ‘house manual’ covers it as well. lol

1 Like

Haha. Some guests must think “Okay, okay, I get it, I’ll check out on time, jeesh”.

But hey, whatever works.

Mine is a home share that includes a private bathroom, living area and bedroom. I nudge people out of the bedroom and tell them they can hang in the living area with their luggage. That sounds hospitable but usually gets them on their way. One thing that I have offered when I have no guest on check-out night is to let athletes here for races, etc. come back to use the shower. They are delighted if they have a long ride ahead of them. I can go ahead and turn the bedroom over and they use the living area for changing. The living room and bathroom are quick cleans compared to the bedroom so this works.

2 Likes

I find that these kinds of kindnesses make lasting impressions on guests. Well, they make lasting impressions on anyone. That’s really nice of you.

@muddy
There ya go- that’s the one! I also send a standard “easy checkout instructions (by 11 a.m.)” message the night before. Only had one couple stay on another 1/2 hour, or so hubby told me. He’s much nicer than I am :wink:

I had sent it the evening before but assumed that at worst they would get it the next morning. In any event a reminder of the already agreed checkout time is not the same as expecting them to checkout early with only a few hours notice. I also waited 10 minutes after checkout time before reminding them to leave which they weren’t even attempting to do. I am not a monster.

Expecting guests to check out on time doesn’t fit any definition of monster I’m aware of :slight_smile:

I was just giving some reasons why check-out reminders are best given the afternoon before, rather than morning-of.

1 Like