Statistics Canada?

My guest just told me at a Statistics Canada officer asked them when the owners would be home as they’ve been stopping in each month to find out whether our apartment is used as an airbnb.

Does this sound familiar or normal to anyone? Or should I be concerned that it is some kind of scam?

Is there a registration/ approval process in your area and have you followed it?

1 Like

My guess is that Statistics Canada would gather information electronically - no one has a budget to send out people to go door to door for something as minor as renting out a room/space. Maybe a neighbour trying to confirm whether you are doing Airbnb. Best of luck in finding out what is truly going on with this odd inquiry.

Have you contacted Statistics Canada and asked them?

Did they give the guest any documentation?

I don’t agree with the comment that local government doesn’t enforce these things face to face. They do in lots of areas.

The best way to resolve this is to call them (if you have appropriate licensing/permits for your area you will be fine).

1 Like

Helsi - I would agree that local governement could potentially do face to face but Statistics Canada is a federal.

Statistics Canada produces statistics that help Canadians better understand their country—its population, resources, economy, society and culture.

In addition to conducting a Census every five years, there are about 350 active surveys on virtually all aspects of Canadian life.

In Canada, providing statistics is a federal responsibility. As Canada’s central statistical office, Statistics Canada is legislated to serve this function for the whole of Canada and each of the provinces and territories.

Objective statistical information is vital to an open and democratic society. It provides a solid foundation for informed decisions by elected representatives, businesses, unions and non-profit organizations, as well as individual Canadians. As a member of the United Nations Statistical Commission, Statistics Canada endorses the Fundamental principles of official statistics.

We at Statistics Canada are committed to protecting the confidentiality of all information entrusted to us and to ensuring that the information we deliver is timely and relevant to Canadians.
Cheers