Specialty Tax Preparers?

Good Morning Everyone!

Gee, would you look at the time? Yes, we are just beginning to work on our taxes.

We have a local pro to that we have been in touch with and like very well - but since we are late he is tacking on a premium to his price. Or, we can file an extension.

We’ve put all the numbers together, but the depreciation methods baffle me and I want someone who knows what they are doing to handle that. Also would love to have a professional eye look at our whole tax situation.

Has anyone here used to various professionals that participate in this forum, such as sharedeconomycpa or Levee, Inc? Any comments or referrals? You can pm if you prefer.

Thanks, everyone!!

The high-end form of TurboTax this year has a section for short-term rentals.

yes, but the depreciation calculations are a mystery to me, and I’m not sure I’m going to catch everything. And, by the time we pay for the higher-end program, we can almost pay for the pro!

Did you find turbo tax to be detailed enough that you felt confident? Was there a deprecation calculator that we missed? I think we can use it next year, after we have a little guidance. The local person is charging us less than $300 and he has a lot of glowing reviews on Thumbtack.

Thanks!

That’s true. :slight_smile:

I pay the pro. I don’t know what she does or how she does it, and I don’t want to know. I “finance” her fee with deductible donations to Salvation Army, Goodwill and Habitat for humanity. Also, if she is too busy, which she is, she files an extension and takes care of it later. My friend used Turbo Tax and got hacked and went through Hell when someone filed and got a huge refund in his name.

1 Like

Wow, that’s horrible for your friend!!

thanks for the info

When he tried to file the system rejected his return because somebody had already filed using his social security number. It was a mess but he still uses turbo tax anyway.

It probably isn’t the fault of TurboTax (Intuit) if someone filed a return in his name.

That being said, the likelihood of an audit in such a rental situation is much higher, so a pro can be useful.

2 Likes