South Florida Section

s*ting?our/ *liIf I wasn’t quite far away in Fort Lauderdale, I’d love to help you out. But I don’t have the car during the day, sadly.

Oh, I just remembered - on my site I have a yet unpublished article about Key West. As you’re on the way to the Keys, would you like me to feature your listing?

That strange typo at the beginning of my post is the cat messing with the keyboard :slight_smile:
Yes, I know I could edit but I’m allowing him a little free expression :smile_cat:

1 Like

One of our cats has been learning Spreadsheets.

1 Like

Do you have a listing in the Tampa area or roughly in that area? Or Daytona? If so, please can you let me have your listing as I’m writing an article about a Florida road trip from Fort Lauderdale to Jacksonville. Thank you!

1 Like

Yoiu folks on the East Coast take it easy for the next couple of days. Duck & cover! I’m already booked for the weekend, so can’t help in that respect. As they used to say on Hill Street Blues – be careful out there!

1 Like

Stay safe guys!!! Already thought/been invited to fly in for a few Hurricane parties :joy:

We don’t get ‘earthquake parties’ out in these parts.

2 Likes

Thanks for thinking of us!
I am in Mexico. Had my maintenance guy working all day putting shutters on and brining all things inside. Hope it will miss us. I have guests in both houses

1 Like

Hoping for the best for you Yana!!!

I heard today that there is a meeting on October 16th in Fort Lauderdale because the city is going to require a) all rentals have a landline and b) that no host should live more than 100 miles from their rental.

Comments please!

I have two.

I actually think that this idea is not stupid. Will a Chinese phone dialing 911 get anything useful on the other end? And if they can’t speak English, how would they begin to tell the person on the other end of the phone where they are and that the fire is spreading? Of my 31 groups, 8 have not had phones that work in this country. And three had no electronic devices at all.

My former neighbor, who not only looks like Mr Magoo, but has the same eyesight as him, loved to chainsaw things. Well he got up and cut all the crhristmasberry in front our houses. And by accident cut the phone lines. When they came out to fix it, I didn’t fess. What? The lines were cut? How mysterious!

PS! I still have a landline because service out here by cell is not reliable enough yet to cut the cord.

We don’t have landlines any more. None of our “foreign phone” guests have ever had a problem getting bars and calling us when needed. In fact the “problem” is the other way around. Because we have “America only” SIM cards in our phones, our French and Spanish and Canadian friends can call us, but we can’t call them with their long phone number strings.

Frankly the 100 mile limitation suggested, is for me, 95 miles too far. IMHO hosts should not live more than 5 miles from their listings. A 100 mile limit means I can live in East Fort Myers and have a rental in west Ft Lauderdale. Coast to coast!!! Sorry, but IMHO that’s just not right!

2 Likes

I have a “land line” though it’s on my Verizon account. It’s a back up, it’s a number I’ve had since 1986 that people from my past have used to reach me, it’s the number that I give out to people I don’t really want to hear from, it’s a phone number associated with many long held accounts. It’s a cell phone locator device when I’m at home. LOL. For a long time I had it because my older sister would always call it and because she was having some memory problems I didn’t want to turn it off. She passed away this year and I consider getting rid of it. But for $20 a month it still have some value.

When I give a political or charitable donation or in any situation where I don’t really want to give my main number I give my home number. It rings, goes to message, that’s it. Sometimes it’s the Dr.'s office reminding me of my appointment. Once every 10 years an old friend I haven’t heard from in ages will call. I’m getting a lot of freedom for $240 a year, I also look on the bright side.

$20 * 12 = $240.00

My landline is now down to $11/month. The calls are forwarded to my cell phone including those nasty ROBO calls. Now, if you can figure out how to get the cable bill into a manageable level, I am all ears. :wink:

@Robert_Dudley means in 10 years, because he only read the part of my post that mentioned hearing from old friends.

Then an additional 0 would be appropriate.

We don’t have one but apparently we have the service because it’s all in the package that is provided by the company that supplies our internet (and cable before we ditched it a few years ago). Evidently - and this is crazy - we pay them about $10 per month less because we have the package than includes the landline. WE have a phone jack (in the back of the router) and would only need to plug in a phone (if they are still available!)

Awe… so sorry… …

1 Like

Mine is still $35 base with no other services but local service. In Hawaii, the entire island–400 square miles–is considered a local calling area. I use it to make sure the sub teaching line can reach me for jobs so I can’t take a chance relying on dodgy cell coverage. Hawaii Hellcom will sometimes add plans I didn’t ask for and then pretend ignorance when I call and ask what’s this. If they want to keep customers, they should develop a basic calling plan. I also have a handset from the 90s that plugs in the wall. My sons, age 21, cannot understand–simply cannot understand-- how it works without electricity. Also how does it light up just plugged in the telephone jack??? Cue “Stranger Things” music.

1 Like