Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

Something about me is attracting very undesirable guests

The town where I host is not a resort town and guests usually book because they are traveling through or have some sort of business here. There are several colleges of varying size in the town. I had to turn off Instant Book because the local people that booked had my address and invited visitors despite clear rules against it in my listing. I have had several young people with large groups trying to book. I had most of December and January blocked because I had personal visitors. So guess what? I opened up January calendar and a young person who lives 30 minutes from here tried to book. She did not tell me why she was coming only asked if I had a stove. Is very clear in my listing that I do not. The photo that she uses on Airbnb is 95% of her chest in an extremely low cut top and 5% face. She did have a few positive reviews. I have 2 bedrooms and she wanted to book for an entire week for one guest. She looked very young. So I made some of the dates she wanted unavailable and didn’t decline it so that Airbnb can’t count it as a decline. My point is this - since Airbnb has these new policies that try to help hosts avoid people who obviously want to have parties, I think the decline percentage that they accept should be lowered considerably. If hosts are in a resort or nice area where people come to stay to sightsee that is a different situation than mine. I just started hosting in September and have already had people try to have parties on more than one occasion and have had to remove someone. (She was local of course, so she and all of her carloads of friends know where I live and how to get into the space.) A question that I would like to see if anyone can help with - How can I stop attracting these people? I do have a large living room area with a big TV. I was thinking maybe I could remove the TV but I have had some good guests who liked the TV. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Like

Raise your price. Turn instant book on and require positive reviews. And then ask questions of the guests who book like what is the purpose of your stay? Use your penalty free cancellations on guests that make you feel uncomfortable.

Also have cameras at all entrance and exits and disclose them in the listing. Make a house rule about strict enforcement of guest limits. Check in all guests in person. And when the cameras show multiple people arriving who didn’t pay, go collect money or cancel their reservation.

4 Likes

What KKC said. Don’t be the cheapest. Some people set a 2-night minimum also, but that might kill some of your “traveling through - just need one night” market.

An outdoor camera that covers the exterior door(s) is invaluable.

Air’s new anti-party house policies are also now effective (as of Jan 1) and they’re supposed to be zero tolerance about things like extra guests. It sounds like you already have a house rule about “Only registered guests are allowed on the property”? That and a camera should do the trick.

You could also add a requirement that they give you a first and last name for all guests in the group. Basically, anything that makes you sound like a no-nonsense rules person. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for the excellent suggestions and quick response.

Thanks for quick response. I like all of the ideas. I am sure I will get less bookings but I am about ready to quit hosting anyway, because of such a high percentage of undesirables in this town.

@Allison_H, I know that Airbnb has been talking about party houses, but I don’t think I knew that they have new policies as of Jan 1. I just searched Airbnb help for “party policy” and found nothing. Can you provide a link? I’d be interested to read the new policy.

Thanks.

They sent an e-mail with links to a few related articles about changes that were prompted after the shooting in CA.

This article is the most relevant and talks about Guest Standards! Noise, guests, mess, parking, and smoking…

1 Like

Thanks. I remember thinking that the article didn’t sound like it had any real “force” behind it. Hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

Price them out.

RR

I don’t quite understand why undesirables from your town are staying with you? I wonder if you’re advertising your place all wrong. Or pricing it wrongly? Or maybe you see them as bad guests when they’re just normal people? Everyone talks a lot about guest expectations but it is the case that sometimes host expectations are too high.

For example, you chose not to host someone who looked young, lived 30 minutes away and had big boobs - I don’t see why?

2 Likes

It’s all BS PR rhetoric. Only the naive would believe it. There are reports daily over on the CC about Airbnb trying to get a host to accept guests who’ve been declined somewhere else because it was obvious he wanted to have a party. Hosts homes still being trashed. One host had her home destroyed and the so-called guests left a note on her fridge- “We hella f**cked your house. Hahaha”" Airbnb does nothing, even after this announcement.

1 Like

Why would someone within 30 minute drive spend $400 to stay in an Airbnb for a week? Like I indicated in the post I have had many people try to have parties and ignore the No Visitor Policy. These are all young people. Her town is an easy drive from here. I think I know the difference between “normal” people and and “bad guests”. Also I have a 2 bedroom space and she booked for only 1 guest. There are MANY Airbnb around here that are less expensive than mine for only one guest.

There are so many reasons that are perfectly legitimate so you’ll have to tell me why that is so suspicious. I had had many local guests with very good reasons for staying. Also, I’ve stayed in Airbnb accommodation myself several times within thirty miles of my home, also for good reasons so I do think that your explanation would be helpful.

I also have single guests in apartments that sleep more people. So If you can explain your logic, I’m sure others would be interested.

1 Like

What’s “the CC”? Another forum somewhere?

1 Like

The Airbnb Community Center.

1 Like

Do you appear to be about 22 years old and don’t explain why you are needing a place to stay?

Why should a guest of any age have to explain to anyone why they need a place to stay?
You have received some good advice here from @KKC and you acknowledged that so why don’t you take the advice you like and let the rest go. Take the best and leave the rest.

Now go turn on IB and make some changes, raise your prices and stop attracting the guests you do not want.

RR

What type of listing (house, apartment, etc.) and what is the max guests, min and max length of stay, advance notice, etc. Do you do in-person check-in?

1 Like

Can you post a link to your listing? Or PM it to interested parties? We might be able to make more useful suggestions if we can learn a little more about your listing.

I usually ask a few boiler plate type questions, up front, to ascertain the nature of the visit. The questions are very straightforward. The response, or lack thereof, tells me if my initial gut feeling about the inquiry was right or not. Nine times out of ten, just asking the questions weeds out those who would be a bad fit. If it is a very young local that intends to have a party, and I tell them that I will be happy to host them if they are under 21 but they must give me more information about their visit and fill in their profile, as stated in the listing, I usually don’t hear back. If I do hear back, then they usually turn out to be fine!

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!