Someone in my neighborhood just booked for 1 night

I got a booking request from a woman for tonight who says they are moving across the country and she wanted to know (post booking) if I had a gated driveway/would her car be safe with their belongings packed in it. She assured me they would be quiet and respectful of house rules, etc. So I check her reviews and those she has left for hosts and she had written a bad review for a host and then that host, after initially leaving an ok but vague review, slammed her in her response to the bad review. But sheā€™s also left great reviews. I wrote her back detailing why I think my driveway is safe even though itā€™s not gated and I expect things will be fine. But there is that tiny little wondering.

I also accepted a third party booking by a mom for her daughter. The mom had 4 good reviews and the daughter was perfect. She was just having spotty cell service so asked her mom to do the booking. Itā€™s slow here, after tonight I have no reservations at all so Iā€™m taking chances.

2 Likes

In Los Angeles many people have an hour and a half or longer commute to and from work.

I would be wary of that. Iā€™d be inclined to decline.

1 Like

How do you see reviews guests left for other hosts? I did not know there was an option

I know. But as I said, itā€™s slow here. Iā€™m glad I accepted. The 22 year old daughter (lots of people would have declined that) is traveling across country by herself visiting friends and relatives and camping. She had camped in Guadalupe National Park the night before and wanted to get a good rest and a shower. Broken record: travellers, not tourists. I did tell her mom privately that it was a violation of TOS and that some hosts would have declined on that basis. She left a review same day her daughter checked out. All 5 stars.

1 Like

Open the profile of the guest and you will see the reviews left by prior hosts for that guest. Click on the profile of the host who left the review. Scroll down until you find the review left by the guest for the host. This can take some time as hosts receive more reviews than guests do.

2 Likes

No I meant the other one, the one who left bad reviews for the previous host.
I hear you on the slowdownā€¦ Hawaii is so dead even the Hilton is giving away rooms!

It only works if the host left them a review as well. Click on the guest profile and go to their reviews. Then click on the host name and go read the review they left that host. Sometimes you have to scroll a long way down as most hosts have far more reviews than the guests do. Sometimes the review is years ago. Itā€™s not super easy as was recently posted on another thread but itā€™s possible.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an important observation.

As was discussed on another thread recently, public stuff people wrote in Airbnb really should be linked to their profiles. Thereā€™s no reason not to do so.

As @KKC observes, if the host doesnā€™t leave a review, thereā€™s basically no link to any potential review for that host. So the guest may have left hosts a review, but we have no way of knowing, short of trawling through a zillion listings. Or unless someone has access to some fancy Airbnb API that can automate the job.

1 Like

Ah! Yes. Well 4 out of 5 reviews she left hosts were glowing and the one that wasnā€™t, well, there are two sides to every story. If there is a problem, donā€™t worry Iā€™ll be on here crying about it.

2 Likes

Other than it putting a damper on honesty. If I know hosts are going to be reading my reviews then maybe Iā€™m not really honest about that host for fear that it will be used against me.

(Shrug.) Yes, @felixcat said something similar in the other thread. I donā€™t get it. Public is public. Why post something publicly online if you arenā€™t prepared to have the whole world read it? The basic rule of online posting is to never post anything online which you would not want to see on the front page of the New York Times. Or Slashdot/Reddit/Ichan/your favorite media outlet, if you prefer.

1 Like

Obviously a lot of people donā€™t think about or know that. Yana didnā€™t know.

What do you mean his race is a factor and that this has been an issue with BnB - do you mean you and BnB only welcome visitors of certain races. I certainly donā€™t want to be part of a hosting service that only welcome certain races :frowning:

1 Like

No, I think DC meant that air is looking at discrimination and even if she turned him down for a different reason it might be misconstrued. At least thatā€™s how I understand it.

2 Likes

I believe DC may have been referring to the recent cases which got national attentionā€¦ When a black guy was repeatedly declined until he made a fake white profile, then he was accepted. That story made the national news.

3 Likes

I have had two individuals try to schedule a one night stay. They both tried to book after 8 p.m. and wanted to come right away. Both lived within 20 min. of our cottage. Both young and looked like someone I didnā€™t want to have. I checked their facebook profiles and both had criminal records, one posting her first day out of jail. I donā€™t know what they wanted with my cottage, but I didnā€™t want to find out.

2 Likes

I have had same-day guests in Hawaiiā€¦ which is unusual. Whatā€™s up if you are here and suddenly have no place to stay? I really want to know. Place was not clean so I had to turn down. The other who booked one night paid top dollar during Christmas week, only because literally no other place on the island had availabilityā€¦ They were among my most charming guests ever and left an awesome review for only one night.

I can think of a ton of good, legit reasons for someone local to stay. Itā€™s only suspicious if they ask to violate policy or donā€™t communicate the reason for their stay. For example, I have a refrigerated air unit in my guest room. Iā€™m surprised no one has ever booked because their air went out.