SOLVED! Guest blackmails me

Thank you very much for your fast replies! I really appreciate in this stressful time!

1. They did NOT notify me at all when they check out and did NOT return the keys for 5 days until I contacted Airbnb for the safety threat to our property.
  2. They left the apartment after 8 days into their stay and 20 days were left.
  3. Yes, I have written how and when to return the key on the house rules and sent them when they booked first. And told them when I gave the keys. (So I reminded them 3-4 times)
  4. They never tell us anything about issue with air pollution and then suddenly airbnb contacted me and said guest have already left and the apartment was unattended for 2 days. Airbnb said that guests have contacted airbnb asking for a refund for the air pollution in the city and maybe notified them that they left 2 days earlier

Thank you for your response! I will do as you advised

Sorry, still confused - they key they did not return was for the lock on your apt door? If so, I suggest having spare lock tumblers so that it can be simply exchanged in the lock itself when this happens.

sorry for confusion again kkk, There were two keys one for the unit door and one for the apartment entrance door at the first floor. So even though I install smart lock for my unit, I will still have to give the apartment entrance door chip to the guests every single time

1 Like

So your concern is the blackmailing and the eventual bad review that they have threatened you with. If these comments by the guest were on the platform all you need to do is write Airbnb on the platform, direct Airbnb to these comments and ask Airbnb that when the guest review is ultimately posted you will ask that it be removed based on Airbnb’s policy against retaliatory reviews.

If the threats were not on the platform you can still provide the documentation to Airbnb, though if Airbnb can’t easily authenticate them it’s possible that Airbnb will be forced to disregard them.

If so, come back to us as other comments on the platform (copy and paste them here then) might provide a basis for removing the eventual review.

We have many experienced and knowledgeable Hosts here who will candidly tell you whether you have a case or not for removing a guest review. Just give them the facts by copying and pasting the actual back/forth with the guest if Airbnb says it cannot remove the review based on what you say.

You do need to think about this key issue, whether there is anything you can do to prevent its recurrence.

Don’t feel a need to respond to the questions and comments below if you feel that your question has been answered and don’t want a further back/forth.

I suggest that the procedure for returning the key be a house rule stated in your listing. Further, your house rule, stated in the listing, should say something like “If the key is not returned per the house rule the property will need to be re-keyed and the expense charged to the guest (cost is easily in the ballpark of $X or more).”

I think your key should also state on it ‘do not duplicate’ although I think that is not a sufficient security procedure these days where at least where I live I can go to a kiosk and duplicate a key myself. You might want to explore keys that cannot be duplicated or some way to avoid needing to re-key the property when the guest violates your return key policy.

Does this mean you don’t have a copy of the key?

If every guest can copy the key during the course of the rental, isn’t that a security issue? Or maybe not because you say:

So, is the reason you re-keyed the property not a security issue (since a ‘chip’ is also needed) but because you didn’t have a spare key?

If the need to re-key is not due to negligence on your part you might also want to try to cover the expenses of re-keying with the guest, and then Airbnb. What do you have to lose?\

What if they lose that chip? If there is a cost associated with that, that should be stated in your House Rules on the listing. I am assuming that the chip is not easily duplicated but I wonder what the consequences are of the chip not being returned/lost.

Please consider mattress protectors and pillow protectors and other ‘guest proofing’ measures you can take to prevent damages or mitigate them. These protectors also make your property more healthful for your guests.

Thank you for your answer! Yes the problem is with the blackmailing by a guest and they still want me to refund where airbnb clearly stated that their reasoning about air pollution is not eligible for refund according to the policy. I have told the guest about the airbnb final decision that their eligibility for refund but they insisted that If I want I can still refund them. That is the main demand of their blackmailing.

Thank you for you advise on the re-keying and mentioning the key and chip duplicating on the house rules. I also appreciate your advice on mattress protection! I will definitely try it next time!

HostAirbnbVRBO would you please advise me on the matter of refund?

Don’t worry about a bad review. If it comes, immediately ask Airbnb to remove it based on it being a retaliatory review.

I don’t think you need to engage further with these guests. I might say nothing more than you have or if you feel that you feel compelled to reply I might say “I am honoring the terms of the reservation that you and I agreed to.”

quote=“Delgermaa, post:52, topic:43755”]
I live in this area and everywhere in Ulaanbaatar is air polluted that it has been known globally for years now. I believe people do at least simple research about the country they’re traveling to and people are not that superficial to believe in this scam where people blame the housing for the pollution in the air surrounding it.
[/quote]

I agree that people ought to research the area. You might choose to say nothing about this in your listing but to look out for the unprepared guest your listing might say something like: “Travelers to Ulaanbaatar should be aware of air pollution in the area. Its Air Quality Index (AQI) is often unhealthy.”

I wonder whether your property is such that windows can be closed and the comfort still good inside. You might also consider air purifiers inside if you don’t already have. You are. not of course ‘required’ to do this. Evaluate whether doing so might make your property more appealing in the marketplace, boost bookings or increase the daily rate.

I’m not sure what you are looking for.

Airbnb has said that you are not required to refund.

The guests have said to you that even so you can give a refund if you want to do so. They are correct that you can authorize a refund if you wished.

If I were you I would not do so and either not respond or say, as I say below: “I am honoring the terms of the reservation that you and I agreed to.”

I wouldn’t get into a back/forth with them because: 1) it is a time waster, 2) the guests will just dig in their heels/harden their position, 3) the guests might feel that they can say ‘the right thing’ and you will give a refund when you are not open to giving a refund, and 4) you might say something that will cause Airbnb to reconsider its favorable determination that the guests are not entitled to a refund.

So, it’s over with this guest. You ‘won.’ If they give you a retaliatory review contact Airbnb to remove it.

Now it is time for you to review all this and make any changes to your listing and procedures that will decrease the chance that this will happen again.

1 Like

Thank very much for helping me and giving me invaluable advises as a host, I really appreciate your time and effort!

I will follow your advice and will not further contact the guest anymore and state that I will honor the policy.

Yes the windows close perfectly and apartment is new. In fact, my apartment was listed recently but successfully maintained 5 star and only very good reviews from all other guests.

I just read your last message, and it clears all my concerns as it was my first time facing such issues and was nervous about their blackmailing. Thank you very very much again for all the advises and recommendations. I will definitely make them into work!

Have a wonderful day and I wish all the best for you!

1 Like

Time to close this old thread.