So Guys, the first guest stay is not going well :(

Well in her defense, she meant to still give 5 stars. Unfortunately she didn’t understand that I don’t get to fix the reviews lol. Wouldn’t that be nice!

Oh dear, no stars from me if there’s no corkscrew - we’d rather have no bed! No, actually, I have to admit we travel with an emergency corkscrew … and of course many countries now have screwtops for wine.

2 Likes

Ha Malaga yes we also apparently forgot a plunger…so 2 very important items! But we brought them over within 15 minutes or so so hopefully she can forgive us!

A plunger??? My first thought was what on earth are they doing to need a plunger. Facewipes?

The corkscrew I understand.

I know I am a little worried about it.

Ummm, why not go and ask them? You can offer to help out of concern but it is your property after all.

This thread has reminded me that tt’s advisable for new hosts to stay in their property before listing it.

2 Likes

I am worried about that also. Our mare is 38 yrs, old and looks it. I put a blanket on her whenever guests arrive…

Guys we did stay in it a couple nights. Well, a bit before it was fully ready but I guess we never had wine or toilet troubles. Probably should do it again sometime. And I did offer to go use the plunger for them, but they refused. Which was fine since my kids were waiting and restless. Anyway they checked out today and no sign of troubles, house was super clean.

1 Like

Given that you have wee ones you can’t really try it out like tourists: get totally drunk on wine and use the toilet a commensurate number of times.

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: actually laughed out loud at this. Yes i agree.

1 Like

We had our ram die when guests were there. They helped dig a big hole to bury him

1 Like

Sounds like you’re doing a great job! We do a test stay a few times a year to make sure everything works properly, check noise, instructions, bed comfort, etc… Also, staying at other rentals several times a year helps me to remember what guests go through in unfamiliar surroundings.

1 Like

What a shame - but you have handled it brilliantly. I might give them a little present of local produce when they go - just to end things on a high note.

I would guess baby wipes as the toiler clogger. A lot of adults use them and flush them instead of putting them in the trash.

OP, you are lucky you got a 5 star review! I didn’t get a chance to reply in time, but I was going to suggest waiting to review them on the last day of the review window, so you could get a few positive reviews in before one that was potentially bad showed up on your listing. But luckily you made them happy and got a good review.

Crap. Need a new rule: We are on a septic. Please do not flush anything but toilet paper.

1 Like

Unfortunately, you have to spell out common sense for guests!

2 Likes

Another thing not to read!

1 Like

@Bunny - we’re on a septic system too. Our house rule reads: “Do not flush anything but toilet paper and human waste”

Its how we handle situations that shows who we are. You are doing great. In just a few short weeks you will laugh about this and have moved on.

Refunding the money is the right thing to do. Hopefully, you will have the water on and this will never happen again. Chin up you are handling the situation perfectly.