So discouraged with too high expectations

Less of a phobia, and more of an interest in staying in as clean a place as possible. As validated in this topic, it’s just not possible to be as sanitary with carpet.

When I was traveling a lot, I’d seek those out “allergy free” rooms, that used wood looking porcelain floors rather than carpet and Sohji Screen Shutters in lieu of drapes. It did bring me some peace, knowing that things were able to be cleaned thoroughly between guests.

But for those who love their carpet there’s always …

2 Likes

A phobia is an irrational fear or aversion to something, like being terrified to get on a airplane even though you drive a car daily and your odds of having a car crash are 1 in 114, compared to 1 in 9,821 for a plane crash. Or being terrified of insects, even totally harmless ones.

Those here who said they dislike carpeting do so because it is objectively dirty, it’s a rational objection, not some baseless personal aversion. And that’s different from rugs which can be washed. If a floor covering can only be vacuumed and only gets shampooed or taken somewhere to be cleaned a few times a year, it’s quite far from clean.

Would you simply vacuum a kitchen or bathroom floor and consider it clean?

Hyperbole is an exaggeration for the sake of emphasis, humor, or effect, often set off with quotation marks. But haven’t we discussed this a million times? :wink:

1 Like

Pedantry is…

oh, never mind.

:wink:

3 Likes

If you want cleaners to do more than clean i.e. check for damages/audit then you need to pay them a proper rate for doing some and allow time for this.

I am rather confused - why would you send your cleaner an invoice for cleaning the rug your guest damaged rather than raising a claim with the guest. And why did you tell her if another guest damaged your place you would be forced to sell. If I was your cleaner I would be upset and no longer want to work for you as I would feel you are blaming me for damage caused by your guests.

2 Likes

I live 400 miles away, and even if I lived closer, there are some things that are almost impossible for me to manage in a wheelchair.

I pay her well, and offered to pay her more to check for damages- IF she felt that she had the time to to it.
I had multiple discussions with her about whether she felt that she could do this; would she like additional money; what i could provide to help her, etc.
I didn’t ever ask her to pay for the rug cleaning nor did I ever threaten her about losing her job based on not reporting damages.
I told my cleaner and prep lady that I was getting everything cleaned, and talked to Helen, cleaner, about the urine and carpet stains. I asked her if she would snell the rug for urine because I could easily file a claim if I knew which guest it was. I have insurance through Ownerrez- don’t involve Airbnb.
I mentioned the cost as part of a conversation.
So, Helen and I are on friendly terms and she works with me because, in her words, I am fair, kind and
Treat her as an equal. I’ve always treated her as more of a partner, and accommodate her when it comes to days that fit best in her cleaning schedule.
** I was asking for ideas.

2 Likes

Hi, that was what my co-host saw when the old carpets were removed. The stains on the back were intense. When the new rugs were put in, I was new to STR and thought that the “deluxe” backing, etc would be guest-proof. I live and learn.
Btw- i was joking about ppl who don’t like carpets. :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for clearing that up @cmpipe. That wasn’t what you said in your initial comment.

What you said was

We increased our rate and have found we have much more respecful and knowledgeable guests. We also made sure that with our increased rates, we added in a few features Which don’t cost a lot, but add value: extra fluffy towels (like 3 per person!), u limited keurig cups, snacks, etc

1 Like

I pay my cleaner AUD60 per hour plus 30 minutes travel from her home 15km away. She normally makes AUD150 for a 2 hour clean and linen change. At current exchange rates that is USD45 per hour. Given she is flexible and a great problem solver as well as doing an amazing job (I know because I used to do it myself) I consider that to be reasonable.

My last guest was a HOST who didn’t bother to read the listing at all for our cottage and marked us down to 3 stars because we didn’t have things that the listing says we don’t have. :confused: Super annoying after mostly 5 star reviews from guests, and I expected better from a fellow host - at least read the listing before booking! Our price reflects what we do have (hot tub, ocean views, free parking onsite, washer & dryer, etc) and what we don’t have (more than 1 bathroom, room in the small living room for giant parties with uncleared guests). This is the second problem we’ve had with a fellow host not reading the listing (or pretending not to read it). Super disappointing and feels very back-stabby.

Many hosts find that having hosts as guests to be very disappointing.
You think they would understand the issues, but some come across as entitled jerks.
My worst review was from another host who booked my tiny house for 1 but informed me she was bringing 5. She moaned about the extra guest costs. I upgraded her at the same price to my 3 bed 2 bath house for her groups comfort.
I somehow deserved my only 3 star review that was full of complaints including that I appeared to distrust her! Booking for 1 and bringing 5 is a great way to build trust!
I note that she no longer hosts

1 Like

If their review states issues with “amenities that are not part of the listing” then you can get the review removed on the basis of NOT RELEVANT.

2 Likes