Sneaking pets in

I dont know what kind of property youre hosting and in which country, but 70$ for two dog seems to be abusive to me.

Y’all can argue all you want about the extra cleaning etc. (while at the same time charging ridiculous cleaning fees + check-out demands), but this will not change the fact that this kind of abuse will eventually make airbnb hosts run out of business (people are already starting to prioritise hotels and aparthotels over abusive Airbnb hosts again).

I don’t sympathise with you on this one.

Abusive? Being abused means one has been victimized. Airbnb guests aren’t victims- no one is forcing them to book a place that has charges they think are unfair.

And no, most hosts do not charge “ridiculous” cleaning fees, nor have a long list of check-out chores, although to read some online guest posts these days, you’d think it was the norm, which it isn’t, rather than the exception.

4 Likes

Abusive??? :roll_eyes:
He paid and left me a 5 :star: Review

8 Likes

No way is this abusive. If you don’t want to pay the fee book a different place. If $70 for two is per stay, not per day that’s a perfectly reasonable fee.

My fee is $10 per dog per night though I rarely have more than a one night stay. I get more bookings because I allow pets. With pet boarders and kennels getting $25-$65 a night depending on the region of the country, $35 for a weekend is quite reasonable.

4 Likes

Maybe the OP would rather not host dogs, but figures if they pay its ok.
It is not abusive, the guests are not forced to book with them.

RR

2 Likes

By the way I was on the rover site. There are some dog boarders asking $150 per night in my area.

I don’t know that $70 even covers the cost when you consider the extra cleaning, which can be considerable. How do you get all those hairs out?

More than that, if the dog does create damage either the Host is a skillful DIY-er to make repairs (after which it is still not ‘the same’) but if insurance/damage protection is invoked only the depreciated value at most is recovered.

Hosts who host pets do enjoy benefits of supporting dog and cat lovers, which is a real if intangible benefit. They likely get more bookings because they host pets. But, in my view, $70 is not approaching ‘excessive’.

Nor is it abusive for the reasons that many here have very well articulated.

1 Like

Keep in mind that just because some are listed at that price doesn’t mean they are getting bookings. But I can imagine in a place like NYC and a home only taking one family at a time that they could get that. I’ve just been helping a former client look for Rover hosts in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia). If you drive 45 minutes out of town there are multiple well reviewed hosts asking $40 a night. Then Rover gets their big fees from both host and guest.

For my rental it’s not hard because I no carpets and no upholstered furniture. It’s definitely extra cleaning though.

My daughter has a dog walking business and some of the walkers also do sitting. The last time we discussed pricing, which was about three years ago or more, she was getting $85 a night in Chicago (not the suburbs). So I wasn’t surprised by the $150 fee – I didn’t look for the location but guessed it was Boston. There were a couple in the $35-$40 range as well.

Just like Airbnb hosting, location matters. Also the lowest prices will get booked first but when they are gone and you need a sitter, you pay what you have too.

1 Like