Sneaking in extra guests

name and mfr of this cam? Sounds like what I need for my driveway…

Me too… @KIKC which one are you using? I think if you sell it as safety and convenience for the host there is no way an honest guest could object.

Caught a guest just last night with my webcam, she brought someone home from a bar. Promptly did a reservation alteration and got paid. I changed key codes for her immediately. Good thing is she came to me first instead of trying to sneak it by.

3 Likes

Did she come to you first then you did the alternation or did you do the alternation first and she got a surprise ?

She came to me first, I told her I was going to charge her. I also told her I already knew because I had looked at the webcam footage from 4 in the morning.

we had a guest who immediately let us know they had potentially 6 guests that they were traveling in but staying in a different area, and wanted to know if they could all stay together. we agreed upon an amount for the extra guests, they were amenable with the space we are providing. and it worked out perfectly for the arrangements. they are coming tomorrow so i will let you know if it goes off course.

if i had a yard cam the cows and horses would set it off and would be the only reason i would want one, is to keep them away from chewing on my trees. if they set off my yard cam at 4 in the morning i would chase them off with a stick.

Yes, I charged them through the resolution center and they paid $90 ($30/night for 3 nights). I will not mention it in a review though. Other than this they were decent guests.

N

1 Like

great - a good ending - and truly, some people just need to be educated. And more money for you!!

Right, it wouldn’t be fair after you have agreed on something in Resolution.

Does the client is paying air bnb fees in the resolution center?

It is Foscam F19831P. Check the ratings on Amazon (and make your own decision) but buy it directly from their website, the chat guy will give you a discount and free shipping and free tech support. It’s indoor but it works outside as long as it is under the eves, not directly exposed to the weather. You need to be there in person with a laptop for the initial setup. It does need to be plugged in for power and the WiFi settings are a bit difficult to configure but you get free tech help on team viewer, ie; they do it for you. My place is empty till tomorrow and yesterday I saw that my cleaner went in there for 15 minutes (unscheduled) and today my bug guy (monthly pest control) went in there twice, once for about 4 min and a few hours later for about 15 min. (twice?). It is mentioned on my listings and so far nobody has said a thing about it.

2 Likes

I take it a step further. I don’t allow unregistered guests at any time of day or night. My rules state in no uncertain terms:

• Additional unregistered guests are not allowed on the property.
3 Likes

I guess that we are more laid back in Florida :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I was renting out an entire place and it wasn’t a granny flat or on the same property as me I wouldn’t mind guests having friends over for a dinner, a cuppa etc. We rented out an entire place in Miami and a group of friends rented out another apartment the next block over. We had dinner and a few drinks at each other places all the time.

I would feel very uncomfortable if the host had a camera then messaged straight away asking about guests. Big brother type thing!

It’s all the vetting process of renting your place out, because at the end of the day when it comes to reviewing …

Jackulas’ policy of not allowing anyone else on property sounds a bit stringent at first, but when you think about why would one allow total strangers into your private property, just to accommodate some semi-strangers (your guests)? Makes total sense.

3 Likes

@Kirsty_Jane When I rented an apartment in Kracow we had friends who were bunking at a nearby hostel over for coffee in the mornings and beer in the afternoon before dinner. I simply wouldn’t stay somewhere where I couldn’t even have friends on the the property. But that’s why it’s called a free market. As long as jackulas is getting all the business they want they can do as they please. I had a young female guest who had a man with her when she checked in. She introduced him as her friend. They went out for the night and I didn’t see him again. But the morning after the second night I saw his car was still parked out front. So I sent a polite message and a request that she pay the second person fee which she did right away. I think she was just young, maybe embarrassed, maybe uncertain they would be sleeping together. Maybe she met him online. Anyway I don’t care about any of that. She left everything clean and good order, paid what I asked and left a nice review. I don’t require IDs once they arrive just the verified ID of the person booking. I’ve had lots of couples where one person booked and I don’t know who the other person is other than a first name. No issues so far.

3 Likes

And I think Jackulas rents out a room in his house. So yes, I would not want someone renting a room to bring over people into the house I live in.

My rule is a max of 6 guests/visitors at all times. So one couple is welcome to invite another couple for drinks/dinner, etc. But a family of 6 is not allowed to have their local family members come by.

Now I do make exceptions. For example in July a family is renting my place for a large family reunion in the area. She assured me that our place is not the “gathering” place but for one of the nights she was hoping to invite her parents and her brother/sister-in law over for dinner - but they will not be staying the night as they have their own place. Because she asked for permission and was forthcoming I said that was fine to have a few more than the max over for several hours. Plus she wrote me a check as payment so she knows I can withhold her deposit.

I asked one recent inquirer how many visitors there would be and her reply was that she was hoping to invite 23-26 family members over for a late afternoon get together. I had to decline as that means people dragging furniture around inside and out - trying to make room for everyone to sit together. Then they will scratch up the hardwood floors…ugh!

2 Likes

Oh yes me too! And plus we don’t have the space

I love the term granny flat…lol! Never heard of it. So everyone do all these have the same meaning (as far as being one giant room for kitchenette, living area, and bedroom, with a separate room for a bathroom) or are they different. I understand some may be in a basement, while others may be in top of a garage, or in the backyard…but are they all mostly the same?

Granny Flat
Studio Apartment
Efficiency
Garden Apartment
Basement apartment
Mother - in - law suite