Sneaking in a guest

Kkc, I think it depends somewhat on what area of the country you live in. I’ve owned and managed rentals for over 30 years with few problems. In the last 6 months I’ve honored the bookings that I’ve had knowing airbnbs verification process is a joke…I’m a host but i was verfied despite my cat having a facebook page and registering a burn phone under an alias name. Anyway, some of my guests had rave reviews but I gave them a 1 star rating and said I wouldn’t book with them again. There are many problems with the platform. List at your own risk.

So since you quit Airbnb what have you replaced it with?

1 Like

So you broke the rules & are surprised others do too?

2 Likes

So you’ve " I’ve owned and managed rentals for over 30 years with few problems." & didn’t see the warning signs? I helped my parents with their rentals for 30+ years & have my own tri-plex as well, I can spot a bad situation from a mile away generally, but I would never have opened the door for the guest & het 2 companions to begin with.
In your situation I would have said just a second, I’ll be back. Locked the door, called AIRBNB, get my full payment because she broke the house rules & made me feel uncomfortable/unsafe. Granted I live in a smaller town but have lived overseas in several 3rd world countries & traveled a great deal & been in some hairy situations, but you think letting them in to stay with you in your home is safer than “challenging” them while they’re outside my residence?

1 Like

Anyone who has owned and managed rentals for thirty years - in the days before Airbnb - is accustomed to dealing with things themselves and not running off to Airbnb whenever there’s a problem.

Also, to say that Airbnb is more dangerous than the old days, when guests just used to turn up on the doorstep with their suitcase, is a little weird to say the least.

I have “no visitors or unregistered guests on the property” in my house rules and posted inside and even on the kepad lock. They still try and I’m a live in host! I would include it in any house rules, giving extra leverage if and when they need to be evicted.

1 Like

What “danger” were you in? Did they assault you? If you think hosting is dangerous, you should do something else.

She already said she isn’t hosting anymore.

We had a booking over Thanksgiving for 8 - 5 adults and 3 children. We charge $20 per night per extra guest over 8 and they stayed 5 nights. We still haven’t figured out how we missed this one, they were very good. We can usually see all the guests coming and going. Her review let us know we got taken. This was on VRBO. It started out:

We had seven adults and four children ages 7, 5, 4, 2.

1 Like