Sneaking dogs in

You don’t have to write a bad review just dob them in for future hosts: “A, B and their two pitties were guests at my place…”. If my guests have a dog I try and mention it in the review as being well behaved which is 95% of the time.

2 Likes

Update: the guests had the dogs removed to stay with a babysitter tonight, and asked for the fee to be adjusted to reflect this.

The review will all depend at this point on getting the pet deposit paid and the state of my suite tomorrow morning.

Agree with this so much! We have traveled with our 3 so often and always inform while booking!

2 Likes

I can’t imagine bringing my dog (who is house trained and well behaved) into a rental without mentioning it! I’m not sure where you’re located, but in the US it’s very common for home insurance to exclude certain breeds. So, had those dogs bitten the mailman or a neighbor, you could have been liable for damages. Given these people own pitties (my dog is half pitt, so I have nothing but love for them), but it would be incredibly irresponsible of them to assume their dogs are allowed everywhere. I’m sure they likely struggled with their own homeowners’ insurance (again, assuming you’re in the US).

IMO, I still feel like it’s fair to include the “misunderstanding” in the review – that’s definitely something I’d want to know as a host in case they make a habit of ‘misunderstandings’. “There was initially a mixup with our house rules and their dogs, but they promptly took care of it”. Depending on the state of the house after checkout :wink:

2 Likes

I suspect that accommodating two large pit bulls is very difficult indeed. Sneaking them in is wrong. But I would be curious to see how they leave your space. What if it is tidy and the dogs were great?

I interpret this gesture, as they never intended to pay the additional fee, and that not reading the listing “deep enough” to see there was a pet fee was just BS, once they were caught.

It’s not clear if your pet fee is one time charge (per dog) or a daily rate. That should be determining factor of whether an adjustment is warranted.

2 Likes

I would not include their breeds due to many people being prejudiced. You could say large dogs since you allow only small dogs.

1 Like

To be honest I would have called Airbnb at that point. There is no misunderstanding. There was only negligence and laziness on their part.
I’d say something like “guests did not read the house rules, sneaked in 2 pitbulls and pretended they didn’t know anything about the pet fee.”

The suite was clean, and the couple left on time.

I agree there wasn’t misunderstanding, they were trying to get away with something. I can’t be sure of their reasoning, but I will include it in my review.

My thought was to be factual and include at the end
Following of house rules 3/5
Communication 4/5
Cleanliness 5/5

I am waiting to review closer to the end of the review period to hopefully mitigate receiving a retaliation review.

3 Likes

Did they pay the fee prior to checking out?

Yes, fee is paid, adjusted to reflect only one night (our dog fee is daily) because they were somehow able to make the dogs magically disappear to a babysitter the second night.

4 Likes

Final review states:

While friendly to correspond with, this couple brought two large dogs into my listing without informing me. Though my listing is pet friendly, it’s only with advance notice — for small dogs and with payment of fee. They stated it was a misunderstanding, and did not read this in the house rules that they agree to when booking.

I would recommend this couple in the future only if they were to confirm and agree to all the house rules.

Following of house rules 3/5

Communication 4/5

Cleanliness 5/5

6 Likes

I’m making up a story in my head where the dogs are stolen and they simply took them to the shelter and turned them in after you charged for them. In my story the heroine, you, will go on to discover they are part of a nationwide dog theft and dogfighting ring which you break up. And also the child trafficking some members leveraged the same crime group for.

1 Like