Snacks. Guests LOVE Them

Haha…jaquo. I was just having this conversation with someone yesterday. I was talking about how some people in whole home rentals will leave a gigantic meat/cheese/bread/fruit platter for guests to make sandwiches to have something to eat when they arrive. I believe this house slept at least 16 people. And this was somewhere near me. My guests should not be starving when they arrive…lol.

The only time I stocked the fridge with a few breakfast items was when one guest had to change plans and arrive after midnight. The grocery store closes at 11 so I did it as a nice gesture. She didn’t eat much but at least she left the items behind and I could consume them.

1 Like

@Cabinhost - that’s what I do. I buy foods that we’ll eat or drink if the guests don’t - it’s a nice little perk :slight_smile:

For breakfast we leave two croissants, two mini packs of cereal, two yogurts, a pint of milk and a few catering-style tiny tubs of butter and jam. I leave one large bottle of water in the fridge too. Arrival snacks are apples, crackers, a wedge of cheese, two posh wrapped chocolates and if I have some, some of those individual small bags of snacks. Also a bottle of wine. But our base price is $125 a night. So although it seems like a lot, it’s worth it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

12 dollor thats a lot, not sure how much is your room price

Is a certain brand of crackers in a small pack…and a certain type of wedge cheese?

What kind of cereal and yogurt?

When the efficiency is ready I will be providing all kinds of things as a competitive advantage. I have access to a discount grocery store and some of the items are half the price you would find at Sam’s Club. Only problem is many items are close to expiration date…but oh welll - some people prefer the taste of FREE…lol. For example, last time I went they had the 30 count Nature Valley fruit and nut trail bars for 50% of the price you could get at Sam’s. Often times items cost 25 -30% of the regular price. It’s insane.

sound like that just have poor guests who appreciate such cheap things. My guests who spend 50 per person per night don’t touch such things at all. I think they are afraid that i put some drug in it like in some horror film, rich people understand " There is no free lunch". Some buguet guests use them who pay 30-35 per night. But they don’t write it in review… the worst things is, the poorest guests want more with out paying. Such gifts you want to use them to make them give you a good review i don’t think it works.

I get Ritz crackers that are in small packs - about ten to each pack. Even though I buy the wedges so often, I forget the brand! I use cereal from the Kelloggs variety packs and Yoplait yogurt.

If anything goes past its sell by date I’m happy to eat it myself :wink:

1 Like

My rates are $30 and $50 for the weekend. I always leave bottle water in the rooms one per guest and on the weekends I put out a basket of snacks in the kitchen for them since I charge a bit more

We do have cases of bottled water over at the rental house. The house is usually set up for family or friends that are in town and need to stay somewhere. So we have water and even beer and wine there. The guests can have at it.

I disagree. Almost all of our reviews comment on how well stocked the cottage is and how well taken care of they felt. What’s interesting is how few actually dig in…they like the look and idea, but don’t take advantage! We’ve only had one couple that went through like locusts…eating and drinking everything they could get their hands on…but most don’t. We only take couples and most are weekend stays. Maybe that’s the difference.

2 Likes

They ask for bottled water when they arrive, via text or in person when they check in. It has been folks from other countries so they may not be used to clean tap water. I rent a one bedroom apartment in my basement with a separate entry. No kitchen, but I have a mini-fridge, microwave, and electric kettle. I provide mugs and stainless steel wine glasses (so guests don’t break them).

1 Like

I used to travel a lot and know never to drink tap water away from home. That includes people from other countries coming here and using our supposed “clean” water.

Our place is in Sweden and everyone drink tape water.

I put a Brita water filter pitcher in the fridge for my guests as the plastic waste is aggravating. Brita pitchers actually filter the water which is more than I can say for most bottled water…

I charge 110-145/night and I really try not to spend more than $3 in extras (cream, coffee, Pellegrino soda) unless the booking exceeds $700. I will spend up to $10 if the booking exceeds a week.

As Lucy stated, most Trade Joe’s will have a deal if you purchase 12 bottles you will get the bottle for $2. We call it $2 buck chuck. It makes a great gift which I only give to multiple day guests and those who rent out the entire condo

I don’t know if all areas has something similar, but several of our local LA supermarkets (e.g., Von’s (Safeway) and Ralph’s) have a similar promo where, if you buy 10 bottles, you get 20% off all 10 bottles. No “greater or equal value” thing either - so you could throw in a bottle of liquor for yourself at a discount too. And, no joke, the wines at the dollar store aren’t great but some have nice looking bottles and corks, which is 9/10s of the experience for most people who drink wine.

Really? That might be true of American guests, I guess.

4 Likes

It’s sadly true in many cases.

I have to reluctantly admit that when I first came to the States I bought only French and Italian wine. What a snob I was! Now I love Californian wines. But it’s a lovely treat to have a great Chianti or Barolo :slight_smile:

Just stayed in an Airbnb where the host made us an entire box of vegan banana nut muffins. That alone would 100% get me to go back.

2 Likes

I’m beginning to love my Amazon Prime membership for the extras. I order individual packs of coffee for the coffee maker, I order snack sizes, individual creamers, sugars etc. It may be a little more per ounce, but I can then reuse from guest to guest if unopened. I too though bring leftovers into my home for my family.