Smart locks: August vs Schlage

I’m thinking about installing a smart lock. Lockboxes / key safe boxes aren’t that secure. I’ve narrowed it down to Schlage Connect (http://www.schlage.com/en/home/products/BE469NXCENFFF.html) and August Smart Lock + August Connect (https://www.amazon.com/August-Smart-Lock-2nd-Generation/dp/B0168IXNZQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498798405&sr=8-2&keywords=august+smart+lock).

What do you guys think? Can you recommend one over the other?

Never heard of August; Schlage has a huge reputation in the world of locks; IIWM, I’d go with the company that’s been around and has the rep.

August… It’s advertised right on the airbnb website under host tools. I think they’re new, but many people use it.

Always have used Schlage. Very reliable company. Amazon reviews are better than other brands.

1 Like

It all depends on your needs!

I use August & August Connect in addition to physical keys in a lock box because my guests need a physical fob to get into the condo building, and it’s great. Whenever someone books my place they get an automated email with access details, and I often use the August Connect to lock and unlock the door remotely for guests and cleaners. Most guests don’t actually use the August at all, they just use the physical key. I also can’t change the exterior lock appearance which makes August the perfect option since it attaches to the existing deadbolt.

The Schlage keypad looks like a better option if you want your guests to use it instead of physical keys and don’t care about having on-demand remote access for yourself.

The Schlage can also be remotely accessed. I think I just need a z-wave hub for it, and that’s one area I know nothing about. Considering getting the wink hub over smartthings, whatever those are :laughing:

1 Like

Hm… I still say it depends on the primary purpose of the lock. If it’s to allow guests to access the place themselves then a keypad is by far the best method. I know August sells a keypad too but I hear it’s unreliable, I’d go for one that’s built right into the lock. If you don’t care that much about the keypad then August might be better or just as good.

1 Like

I debated between the August and Schlage as well. Decided on the Schlage, because with the August you need a smart phone (if I remember correctly, you hold your phone up to the lock to unlock it), whereas with the Schlage all you need is the code. I can also remotely lock/unlock it (which is nice) and I can program multiple codes at a time, so each guest has their own unique code. I do use it with a Wink Hub (which also works with my security cameras) so it may end up being a bit more expensive in the long run. I justified the added Wink expense because it works with other “smart” items in my flat, so it wasn’t just for the lock.

I know that you didn’t mention this lock but I thought I would add to this post for anyone who is also researching-I have Vivint Smart Home which is under AirBnb tools for hosts and I would NOT recommend them. I’ve had so much difficulty with syncing my monitoring system with my keyless entry, and I am not happy with my service whatsoever.

We have Schlage and Kwikset on our doors. They are not internet connected. I wish they were and will be upgrading. I like the Kwikset because it automatically locks after 30 seconds. Schlage Does not offer this feature, but is easier to reprogram because you don’t have to remove the cover.

I almost have the same question since I am new to airbnb host world…

Welcome to the forum @daisy233 this thread is 3 years old some of the posters are not active anymore. I am closing the thread but feel free to start a new one.

RR