Skatteverket and airbnb

I would soon start to have “fun” with this plus moms declaration. I am really looking for this…

Oi Moniek, if you have been doing airbnb this year over 112 days and/or 50000 SEK, then you pay moms from day one. As for next year, jack up your prices or read on the airbnb website on how to collect taxes from the guests. Don’t know if that works in Sweden - I am still trying to figure all this out.Just trying to get the news out there. Everything I say came from Mr Skatteman, either by phone, email, and FORMAL OFFICIAL LETTERS.

No, I started this year and I have 101 days this year. Most of those in the second half, so next year will be more (I hope). Good to know about the moms, I will talk with Skatteverket today!

I just talked with airbnb, we have to take care of the moms ourselves. You have to raise your price or collect moms in cash (after disclosing in your listing !)

I think the best is to raise the price as I am not sure clients will like that they have to pay extra in cash (people are not reading listing information) or what do you think?

Yes, that’s also what I had in mind. The good thing about airbnb is that you don’t have to ask the guests for money…

There are two sides to the moms question. If you raise the price - say from 600 SEK to 700 SEK then you will be paying moms on the new price. If you collect from the guests, then you will pay moms on the base price. I totally agree with you and Sylvain, that will not be popular. In the US, airbnb is collecting moms (hotel tax) in advance from the guest, but according to my skattesman, that will not work here, at least not yet. I also agree that the guests do not read the fine print, which could lead to some nasty surprises for them when they arrive.

Another thing i forgot to mention, you are paying taxes on the gross earnings, not what you personally receive from airbnb. So you are paying taxes on the 3% airbnb gets, and so are they. yes I know- YUK, but as my skattesman said, airbnb are not paying the tax in Sweden, and you need to count it into the 40000 discount!

Maybe all this will change, but right now we have to be vigilant so y’all don’t get fined like I did.

Is it a big risk to declared the amount received from air bnb and not on the gross (before air bnb take fees).?

It’s so much easier…

edit: can t we also think that the price pay by client included the moms so I am declaring the corresponding moms?

It sounds that it makes a big differance who you speak with at Skatteverket. The person I spoke with today said that you need to both rent out more then 112 days and earn more then 50.000 before you have to pay moms. I do not think that I will make more than 50.000, so I don’t have to pay moms. She said also you can change during the year with no fine, but that you had to pay for the whole year, off course.

You are right, airbnb sends a ‘‘pay out’’ for the year and everything is there. I had an argument with my skatteman about this as there is no ‘‘gross income’’ summary, and I was adding up all the visits individually and coming up with different numbers every time.

In my case this was for back taxes for 2015 so I had to send in all relevant documentation. I don’t know how to do a declaration in Sweden - which is why I got into trouble with this. Also this is ‘‘all very new’’ as my skattesman keeps saying. Moniek is right - it can depend on who you get at SV. As for your last question, SV will want 12% moms on the gross earnings from day one if the conditions apply to you, unless you collect from the guest…

Don’t forget the room deduction if you are only renting out a room, like me.If you are renting out a cabin or flat, check out that too. I have a feeling SV is making this up as they go along.

Merry Christmas! I am visiting friends who have 7 airbnb listings. No one has gone after them for tax, just me, a little old lady with one room-

As we drove to Waxholms hotell last night for Julbord my husband brought up this question and I promptly sent him this thread. Thanks everyone for the info!!

Hi,
thank you for all this information. Taxes declaration are approaching for 2016. I visited Skattverket and as you all mention there are no clear indications.I read that if you rent for more than 6 weeks then your listing is considered a business, ie different taxation. Also I understand that we can not include costs we have (in my listing since there is a sauna, nordic hot tub, some breakfast, wood logs…) and I did go over the 40.000kr roof… I am a bit frustrated right now, it seems it is not worth after 30% taxation, no exemption for extras or costs according to the number of guests… the earnings in my case are a 30% of the price guests pay! this including my 3 hours cleaning the cottage and furniture to be maintained, updated and so on,
Does some kind soul have updated news on where we stand exactly? Thank you for your help and time.

Nothing to do with 6 weeks, if you earn more then 40000SEK it is considered business. After the 40000SEK you take 20% off the amount and you have to pay 30% skatt over what is left. If you rent out more then 112 days and you make more then 50000SEK you also have to pay 12% moms (and get a moms registreringsnummer).

Hej Moniek, thank you for the explanation. I will check but surely I rented more than 112 days. Do you know if in this case the costs I had can be deducted ? Thanks a lot

No, that is the 20%!

Yes it’s a fix 20% not more.

Thanks for an interesting thread, now I’ve learnt a lot. Does anyone know how the Skatteverket gets their info when they randomly check ppl? And also who is supposed to pay the tax if one person has the airbnb profile but the income /pay pal money gets put into another persons Account? (In my opinion of course the person who actually gets the income, but what’s Skatteverkets view?)

Has anyone ask a moms number?
Do you know what is the procedure to have one?

I am the person who started this thread. Dagensnyheter has tried to ask SV
several times why they are targeting certain people but they get no
answers. 10000 people have listings in Sweden. When i asked my very nice
skatteman he just said, in English, we have ‘‘open channels’’, and the next
time i asked - we have ‘‘open sources’’ He also said they were hitting on
only 200 listings so far. I am a little old lady and never thought tax
would apply to me for one room, as i am present all the time according to
the rules of my building. Renting out a whole flat would be different I
presume. Even the skatteman didn’t seem to know what he was talking about
and actually told me ‘‘this is all so new’’. He would always respond to my
emails with a phone call, but eventually I got a ton of stuff via regular
mail - in Swedish - which I don’t understand, and he knows this.
Airbnb is relatively new to Sweden and it appears SV is making it up as
they go along. Other posters are getting different stories from different SV
agencies. If I could afford it, i would hire a tax lawyer, but most likely
he or she wouldn’t know either.

As for moms, according to my skattman, you have to physically go to a SV
office, and register there. You can deduct certain things from the moms -
like a new duvet - but again the info was in Swedish. If you are Swedish,
it is time to nag SV, as tax time is approaching, yet they have not set up
a proper site. Also they are doing the taxes retroactively, which is
against the EU law. i just paid for 2015, plus a 40% fine!! And it wasn’t
my fault - I called them in 2014, and was brushed off. They had never heard
of Airbnb.

So don’t take this lying down - if i could read and understand all the info
i could respond, but even my educated Swedish friends don’t understand it,
and one of them has a Master’s degree in Economics and she said SV were
contradicting themselves.

Maybe it is time for Swedish hosts to revolt!!!

I will keep you updated as we will try to have a moms number in april. (we are almost full time renting our place)