Since when does a Host lose out on their earnings when a Guest cancels 3 days before with MODERATE?

This just happened to me and I never even got notified. My app still showed booked the night before check-in until I clicked out of it and went back. Then it showed canceled and with a full guest refund and $0 payout for me!

When the guests calls airbnb, and the airbnb rep that cancels it goofs it up.
I had one last week. Strict cancellation policy. The guest cancelled 14 days in advance, and was refunded 100% This was after the 48 hour grace period. The airbnb rep I called said that the airbnb rep that did the cancel didn’t follow the proper cancellation policy & refunded them.

Did u ever manage to get any of your earnings back?

No - unfortunately airbnb always has the final say in everything, all the time. But I would suggest you call to see what happened. Then at least you are not wondering anymore.

1 Like

I have called and was told that a case manager decided to refund. I wanted to know why I was (and still not) informed by email or a notification of the cancellation that occured 2 days agonaccordihg to the CSR. He said the case manager would call me back when done with the current guest she is helping. I said I’d wait but I got hung up on. Did u ever get an email about it being canceled?

Lodge a complaint. Further, contact the guest (politely as it could be a death etc) and ask them why they did not contact you themselves. That’s actually so rude and disrespectful to you by all parties. Even if it was a terrible circumstance, if they can call Airbnb, they can sure find 10 seconds to message you. You might want to block them from future reservations too!

1 Like

Hello @jumoe, the same with me, with a third party booking, I advised immediately to the guest that the reservation was against the TOS and she had 48 hours penalty free for cancellation. She didn’t cancel, and continued making pressure on me. I have to call Airbnb, they took 4 more days for respond, then canceled the reservation and refunded 100% with strict policy. Their explanation was absurd " Hello Mirta, in this case the strict policy will not be upheld as the guest is not allowed to stay under our terms of service regarding third party bookings. The strict policy is only upheld in cases where it is possible for the guest to stay if they wanted to. Since the reservation cannot be completed due to this, we cannot uphold the strict policy and it is a full refund with us educating the guest as to why."

Sorry you were subjected to this. So the guest can just do this over and over again with other hosts? Or do we think Air keeps track if the guest tries it on again? Does Air still keep their fee, or do they also refund that? I vaguely recall something about a policy change there, but not sure what.

Yes @dpfromva , potential guests can do this again and again, until they succeed, because after arguing a lot with the CM, his final answer was: “Third party booking are against our terms of service, but we allow them if the host is okay with it.” So will be always a win win situation for guests trying to make third party bookings. I can’t see if Air refunded their own fees of the reservation too.

Interesting approach and very dubious given other hosts in recent threads have been strongly encouraged by ABB to accept third party bookings??? The mind boggles

Actually they wanted me to cancel them and refund them and I told them I wouldn’t and they said they were going to call Airbnb. I never heard anything back from anyone.

UPDATE: the CSR screwed up royally and I luckily got another CSR when I called back for another follow up. Turns out I ended up getting a “Resolution Payout” for the CSR instead and actually got $0.85 more (they rounded up from $92.15 to $93). The Guest still got refunded fully so Airbnb paid me out of their own coffers the CSR admitted.

3 Likes