Signals that your upcoming guest may need some extra attention

@lililou1 -

Those of us who participate in the HomeAway forum have realized that it’s not worth doing a pre-approval. If I weren’t on IB, I’d just tell them that we’d be happy to accept their Reservation Request, if they decide to make one.

Yes of course you should always avoid a homeaway pre approval but sometimes if you’re on a different phone or computer you click by accident!
The way they have it set up as default you think you’re just messaging and BAM, pre-approval.

No I told her it would be at least 2 hours for de-planing, walking around the airport, getting luggage, taxi, drive to apartment ! And she responded Oh I didn’t realize the commute to your apartment was so long! :joy:
She knew I wasn’t OK with late arrival, was hoping it would go under the radar… We’ll see if her flight is late that’s gonna be the kicker.

I have year-round renters who are forever explaining to me that they are “really good renters” and all their friends think we are lucky as landlords to have such exceptional people renting our home.

They are so good that we have asked them to leave at the first possible opportunity!

2 Likes

LOL! Have you hosted your clueless family yet?
One of my best guests ever just checked out today. He booked for a month while he was looking to relocate here. His post-booking messages were very straightforward: no gushing, no false promises, no extraneous details. He stayed for three weeks, was a funny and likeable guy, clean and tidy, just great. Best of all, he left early and didn’t even hint at getting any refund. On the contrary, he was thankful and grateful for the small amount of help and advice I gave.
I wish they were all like that. Next guest is a gusher: I’m SO excited about my trip!!! I can’t wait to meet you!!!
I feel tired already.

3 Likes

FLASH NEWS, just happened today!
A guest has been bugging me for early check in (my normal check in is 3pm). I already told him I have a guest checking out at 11am and I need at least a couple hours to turn the apartment around. So the earliest he could access the unit is probably around 1pm-ish, if the previous guest leaves on time.
He messaged last night (twice!). He messaged again this morning, with a lot of exclamation marks. And then saying his flight lands at 12.50pm. Using taxi and on a VERY good day, it’d take a good 1 hour to get here! And now, past normal check in time he is still nowhere to be seen!!

5 Likes

Ha that’s a great one!
Like my guest with 3 kids under 5, pushchairs and luggage who tells me she’s landing at 7:00 so she’ll be at the apartment at 7:30 (airport is 1 hour drive away).

My property managers and I ALWAYS ask for their exact flight itinerary or details of their plans on arrival day in order to plan our day. It helps fend off these situations if most of your guests arrive by plane. Really helpful to follow up on delays as well.