Should we accept a guest who has no previous record/feedback on the Airbnb website?

I’ve long said that I expect Airbnb to go to IB for all at some point. However, I hope they don’t because having IB gives me a competitive advantage as a host. Anything they do to level the playing field for hosts or guests is a disadvantage to me.

7 Likes

This is a great point. I often check my competition after I get a booking and see that so many good places are still available. I keep thinking why would a guest book my place instead of all these great places at lower price.

My guess is they are busy discriminating, while I’m happily taking money. I’m on IB with no identity verification, no photo requirement, no review requirement. I have even hosted people with 1 or two star ratings.

So I would like other hosts to keep rejecting more people and canceling more guests. I will take them in, and they are so happy to be accepted and leave great reviews.

5 Likes

Just because a host doesn’t use IB doesn’t mean they are busily declining bookings. I started hosting in 2016 and had never declined a booking at all (nor cancelled any), I just feel more comfortable, since I have a homeshare listing, having a bit of conversation with a guest before hitting the accept button.

I still haven’t declined any bookings, but since Covid, I do require guests to confirm that they have been vaxed. The few who told me they weren’t when I asked (I shouldn’t have to ask- my listing says in CAPITAL LETTERS to please confirm that when sending an inquiry or request), I ask to withdraw their request, or they do it without being asked. And I’ve only had a few of those- the majority of guests reply in the affirmative.

I also don’t leave guests who’ve sent a request hanging- I answer right away, unless the request comes through in the middle of the night, or I’m doing something noisy and don’t hear the alert ping. (And check my phone after doing something noisy to make sure I haven’t missed an alert)

I was not specifically saying anything about you. Home share hosts are not my competition.

We all know how common racism is in the developed countries.

2 Likes

I realize you weren’t specifically saying anything about me.
I just think it’s strange to presume that the reason your competition has unbooked dates is because they are discriminating. Although I can believe that would be more prevalent in your state, currently run by an authoritarian dictator wanna-be.

FYI discrimination is not any more prevelant in developed countries than it is anywhere else. There are prejudiced people everywhere.

2 Likes

What is IB? Not familiar with that acronym.

IB stands for Instant Book as opposed to Request to Book abbreviated as RTB (I don’t think it’s official or anything but it is used commonly on the forum).

Airbnb is different for everyone. People purposely turn off IB to safeguard their home from bad guests, in order to screen WHO COMES IN AND OUT OF YOUR HOME. Which is just plain common sense to want to protect your property . If that was a joke it wasn’t very funny.

" :rofl: " signals: JOKE

But I agree there should be trigger warnings on the site.

1 Like

Or perhaps a "this joke is as funny as a corpse " warning…

I do not have IB (instant book) on any of the OTAs (online travel agency). I use OwnerRez for my PMS (property management system). I primarily book directly via my own website. Note as a property owner with an API connection to OwnerRez, I’m allowed to have rental agreement and security hold on their credit card. It is made clear in the top part of Airbnb listing.

For guests who inquire of my property they receive the response below (whether they are 5star guests or newbies). If they choose to select another property for all of this…I’m perfectly ok with it!

There’s true value in self sorting and canceling…whether newbies or someone with a thousand 5 star guest reviews.
#######

Hi {Guest},

Thanks for your inquiry about Sea Ranch Abalone Bay. The dates you are inquiring about are available. I want to confirm right away that it would be a pleasure :hugs: to host you for your upcoming stay at Sea Ranch Abalone Bay! Your inquiry is noted for booking into our main booking system.

I am honored you selected our home for your holiday. However, first I want to assure we meet your expectations and you are a good fit for our home. We do offer an amazing, clean, comfortable, and safe home. I also absolutely expect our guests to abide by the rules in our contract that will be sent to you in a separate email.

:point_right:Please note your booking will be finalized once you sign the contract.

I’m pretty easy-going actually and readily available to answer any question or concern you have about the booking process or your stay in Sea Ranch. That said, I do want to make sure I clearly state my expectations to my guests at the start. I sincerely hope you can understand my need to communicate this first to our guests.

If any of these could be an issue feel free to contact me. As your host, I am always available to answer any questions you may have about our property and location prior to finalizing your booking. In turn, I hope you will be kind enough to answer mine and take special note of our requirements.

~ What attracted you to my listing?
~ Have you stayed in a short-term rental before?
~ Will this be your first time staying in our uniquely beautiful and quiet coastal community?
~ What is the purpose of your visit. Is your visit a celebratory one - such as a birthday, anniversary, honeymoon, retirement?
~ Will you be meeting up with others who plan to join you there? We will require you to fill out a registration form with their names and their contact details later.
~ Will you be bringing a pet?
~ What can I do to make your stay better?

Much like hotels do, we also need you to provide us a copy of your Driver’s License or Passport Biography page. We will collect that information within our Rental Agreement. Without this identification, your contract may be canceled. The information you provide us is only kept on file for this booking and then deleted once you complete your stay.

We also request you to fill out a Registration Form that provides us added information about you and your guests, including your preferred beverage for our Welcome :hugs: Basket.

I look forward to your responses and hope you can come out!

Please see below specific and important information about renting our ocean front home:
[this is made clear also in our Rental Contract]

• Abalone Bay is a private vacation home, rented out by owners (not a management company or an agent).

• NO smoking | NO house parties | ALL HOA rules and regulations must be followed by all guests

• Must be at least 25 years of age to rent, and be present during the entire stay; No third-party rentals. Minors under 18 can only stay with a parent, legal guardian, or responsible adult, and must never be left at the property unsupervised.

• No occupancy above 6 persons (of any age 1 day and up). Our quoted rate is per stay and it is the same whether one guest is staying or 6, but we do not permit over-limit occupancy.

• Property is not reserved in your name until the full balance is paid AND booking is accepted. Availability is real-time and may change after this email is sent.

• Rental Agreement signed by the primary Guest and a Valid Photo ID is required if you decide to book. If the required is not returned to the Owner within 48 hours of booking acceptance, we reserve the right to cancel your booking and issue a refund of any amounts paid.

• Upon booking you are required to pay full price plus the booking site fee (if applicable) and all taxes (12%) and HOA fees (3.5%).

• Cancellation policy (Link provided)

• No refunds for unforeseen or unfortunate Events outside of the Cancellation policy cutoff, under any circumstances, including but not limited to: weather, storms, fear of travel, work/life events, change of plans, change of travel party composition, evacuation, or hospitalization. We strongly recommend obtaining Travel insurance if your stay is during rain or fire seasons, or if you are concerned about possible Cancellation for any reason.

• The exact address, driving directions, and check-in instructions will be provided after the balance is paid and a few days before check-in.

• Security Deposit will be released or refunded within 2 weeks after check-out provided there are no damages, Agreement violations, and no excessive cleaning required. It may released be sooner depending on satisfactory post-departure inspection.

• Check-in is (date) and check-out is {date) unless pre-arranged otherwise with the Owner IN ADVANCE. Late check-outs may be subject to docking of the deposit.

• We have installed and operate security/image capture devices on the property outside of the house for the express purpose of securing the property, driveway, entryway, parking, dwelling, and its contents and ensuring adherence to occupancy limits and our policies.

• Complimentary Hi-speed WIFI is available (Connection speed and availability are not guaranteed).

• Our house is on septic. Understand that you will be charged above and beyond the damage Deposit amount if prohibited items are flushed & clog or damage plumbing or the septic system.

• Our house has an enclosed courtyard with a hot tub, gas barbecue and picnic table with chairs. The yard surrounded by nature with the ocean bluff trail steps away. Be aware the trail is unfenced with a 30 foot drop to the rocks and ocean below. For that reason small children must be always supervised by a capable adult.

• A folding ping pong table with cover is stored in the garage. All play must be done in the garage. If play occurs in the evening, the garage door must be lowered to prevent light pollution and noise as stipulated in our HOA. At check out the ping pong table must be returned to the side of the garage with cover replaced on it.

NOTE: When booking via an online agency, you will see at least TWO separate credit card transactions on your statement - one charged by (OTA) for their “service fee” and the other by " (my company)". THIS IS EXPECTED. The “service fee” is NOT payable to (my company).

Feel free to get in touch again via email (Donna@SeaRanchAbaloneBay.com), or give us a direct call at (phone number)

We look forward to having you stay at Abalone Bay and give you the time of your life!

2 Likes

Holy cow! Waaaaay too long for a message. You should be able to shorten that by half to two-thirds and still get your message across

3 Likes

That’s what I was gonna’ say.

Maybe @dmartin336, like the ChatGPT I was using, have been corrupted by me. Yikes!

Can you imagine how long my responses might be to her seven questions.

You ask what attracted me to your listing. I suppose it can be as validly asked what attracted your listing to me. . . .

Usually I get guests who answer the above questions within their original inquiry. When that happens the message is edited accordingly.

What is posted above is the kitchen sink version.
For those individuals who just send are these dates available with nothing about them. Yes that message is sent.

It avoids all the “I didn’t know” whining about requirements for staying at my place.

Note our home is in a very strict HOA. The rules listed are the short version of my contract.

If the guest, like you is put off by it then they may self select to cancel their request. I’m quite ok with that. I’ve not had anyone “put off” by that message yet. In fact those who are familiar with our location note they realize/understand the need to be as explicit with the rules.

2 Likes

The question what attracted you to my listing- seeks to learn what were they looking for, what do they want to do at my location. What did they like especially. It helps me as a >host< to be sure that I fulfill their expectations. It also gives me clues as to what else they may wish to do …that I may provide them leads things that would make their stay more pleasant.

1 Like

If you had read my post carefully, I wasn’t suggesting you tell them less information. I was suggesting you be more concise.

1 Like

Must say as someone that has stayed in a lot of Airbnb’s I’ve never seen anything this long and complex. When you’re checking out a lot of places to stay when traveling, having something like this would send most people packing, me included.

1 Like

There a lot of ways to get the ideal guests for a place. I’ve talked more than once about how I have messages and pictures in my listing to let guests “self-select” out of choosing my place. I don’t know anyone here who doesn’t do it to some extent. It may be only use request to book, no children, no smoking on the property, vetting, being picky about the profile picture, requiring ID and names of all guests at check in, no this, no that.

2 Likes

Make sure at the bare minimum, they are ID verified.
Before accepting asks questions that you might get some sense of safety: for example:
*If they haven’t already sent you a bit of info about why they’d like to book your airbnb, ask them?
*Is this booking only for you?

Some people inquire or book for 1 but really it’s for 2nd guests or are booking for someone else.
You can get a feel for the person by their response. Pay attention to your gut feeling. If you feel like it’s going to be a problem booking, decline the request.

I learned this the hard way. I ignored my gut feeling & stuff was stolen, damaged, crack was smoked & there were unregistered guests.

I no longer ignore the instinct of something’s not right. I decline.
I have had many new guests who have been wonderful.

2 Likes

Very long but understandable. Definitely weeds out potential problematic guests.