Should she leave? Massive breach of house rule that scared me!

I’ve posted before about being a gun owner and how naked men in my home who won’t listen to reasonable requests are in grave, grave danger.

4 Likes

I think calling Airbnb the best solution. I, in all these years, have had only one problematic guest. I called my local Airbnb rep and all was solved immediately. The woman was kicked out and I was paid in full. Here, at least, Airbnb does not put up with BS.

2 Likes

You go, mama!! :grinning:

All I have is a mean, nasty temper and a baseball bat. :grimacing:

Sigh, the guest this thread is about just wrote to me requesting further refunds based on her ‘feeling stressed about being asked to leave the next day and having to find other costly accommodation at short notice’. I haven’t had a full calendar since she left but thankfully the 50% I kept from her booking has covered that. I don’t really want to get into any discussion with her, and I’m dreading calling Air who now only seem to side with guests and how they ‘experience’ things rather than sticking to rules and facts.

It just shows how wishy-washy the rules and consequences are, that we as hosts have a big fight on our hands every time something goes wrong. I will now update my house rules to include what causes immediate cancellation without refund, so that there can be no discussion should this situation arise again. Gah…

All comments and advice are very welcome, as always xx

Definitely say no to any refunds, she was lucky to get what she did considering the awful experience she put you through due to her drinking. Sadly when we are sympathetic and generous people take advantage. Block her from contacting you.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t reply. And I’d use the report button and see if it gives me the option to block her. She is in the category of give and inch and she took a mile. She was wrong and she has a lot of nerve to ask for a full refund.

4 Likes

Also, no matter what is in your rules, Airbnb may not back you up. Hopefully the situation won’t repeat.

1 Like

We discussed no drinking rules in listings before. If it’s moderate drinking we can ignore it, if drunkenness leads to dangerous consequences then we can cancel the reservation due to explicit rule breaking.

1 Like

Yep, I want to include severe drunkenness in my rules too, I just wasn’t sure if it was ok to include it. I live in London where everyone gets drunk all the time… a lot of my guests go out partying until the early hours.

She has sent me a refund request rather than a normal message. I did think I should have blocked her, but I guess that wouldn’t have stopped her from going this route via the booking info. I have a few days to respond to it, so I thought I’d get some input from you lovely people first.

“Your guest is requesting additional payment for an issue related to their Greater London trip. You have until Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 5:51 PM BST to respond to this request. Hosts with multiple unresolved requests like this one may be subject to review”

I’d decline and put in your reason for doing so. Again! The nerve of her claiming she was stressed when she is the one who brought a stranger into your home who then barged into your room! She should be paying you. In the US he’d get shot at.

6 Likes

I know! Do you think I should call Air about this before I do anything? I’d rather not deal with her at all, just let them do the talking. I need to outsource my battles… Now there’s a business idea, “We fight Your AirBnb Battles For You - No Win No Fee” haha!

3 Likes

Yeah paying your therapist’s bills for the next two years for trauma. Horrible experience in your own home. I had a friend who was burgled and she couldn’t sleep properly for months.

2 Likes

You can have the rule and just enforce it when necessary. People will still go with the idea that everyone likes a drink but no-one likes a drunk.

1 Like

In this case I think it would be worthwhile to call them. Make it clear that you were distraught, you think you were more than fair/generous and that this could have been much, much worse. Even if you aren’t highly traumatized, you could have been. If nothing else your pain and suffering should be worth any refund coming from Airbnb’s pocket, not yours.

3 Likes

Yeah put in a counterclaim for stress caused and loss of earnings due to lack of sleep.

4 Likes

I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has commented on this, it has helped me so much, even just to feel heard and supported, but the advice has been great too and stopped me from being a pushover. I don’t think I could be a host without this forum.

6 Likes