Should I reply to negative review, comment my potential response

Seriously, you didn’t recognize the first photo I posted as the white see-through curtain being a mosquito net? (There’s nothing I’d consider " frilly" about it- it’s just a net curtain)

It seems that we have a situation where some of the complaints were justified and so it’s really best not to respond to the review.

3 Likes

As balivilla hasn’t responded here as far as the check-in complaint goes, except to say the guests insisted on their luggage being taken up first, it seems to me that there aren’t any “justified” complaints that we’re aware of, just other hosts’ assumptions that the guests followed the check-in procedures they were given, and that the host was somehow remiss.

We don’t know if the guests were told to phone ahead 15 minutes before arrival so someone would be there to meet them without delay and didn’t, if they sprang the decline of a ride to the villa and insistence that their luggage be taken first (sounds like they were paranoid about it being stolen if it was brought up after them?) on staff or the host at the last minute, etc.

1 Like

That’s always the case, we only get one side of the story. But if there are any justified complaints, I wouldn’t respond. You never know when a disgruntled guest might become more trouble than they were worth and in the end a response is going to serve little purpose other than pissing him off even more.

1 Like

That’s true, but I wonder how many guests are even aware that a host has left a response, since it appears on the host’s profile, not the guest’s.

I think many guests check to see if their review has appeared yet, especially if it was critical, but if it’s several days after the review appears before the host submits a response, most guests, I’d imagine, would never think to look at the host’s profile again.

Which might make it a good practice to wait awhile to leave a response, if the host feels a response is necessary. I think we have 30 days to respond? (Of course the tendency would be to want to counter a bad review ASAP, but that may up the likelihood of the guest being aware of it and retaliating somehow)

Well I do now, but the first time I saw one on my first trip to the tropics I had no idea. I spent my first 20 summers at a backwoods cottage in the Canadian shield – famous for its mosquitoes and black flies – and never once saw mosquito netting on a bed before I went to the tropics. I just though it was decorative until it was explained.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve never understood why people in black fly country (I also used to live in rural Ontario black fly area), have never caught on to using mosquito netting. They understand the concept of protecting oneself, as a lot of people use those portable screen houses for outdoors, and slather themselves with Deet, but for some reason never think of mosquito nets.

They are also useful for bug phobes. My 18 year old granddaughter spent 3 weeks with me in November and even though there are no mosquitoes here that time of year, she had a major meltdown the very first evening when she saw a spider on the bathroom wall. They are harmless house spiders, very shy, never crawl on people, but explaining that doesn’t matter to those who are terrified. She slept every night with the mosquito net all tucked in tight under the mattress, which made her feel safe and quelled her anxiety.

I give guest instruction to inform us 10-15 minutes before arrival, he just showed up at the location and texted when he arrived, I answered his message within 1 minute, my staff came in 5 minutes, and then he and girlfriend who had 6 big pieces of luggage wanted to wait till all of them are delivered to villa first, this never happened before, its always guest first, luggage later.

I don’t know if I should reply to the review or not, I have 2 new reviews above him already, but maybe best would be to clarify everything for future guests.

3 Likes

You routinely pick up 2 guests and their luggage with a scooter?

If 2 guests are coming I have 2 staff with scooters take guests, if 4 guests, then 4 staff come to pick up, if its huge luggage they have to take them separately yes. Villa is 1 km in the jungle without car accesss, its pretty normal in Bali, many rice field villas don’t have car access.

3 Likes

Pretty much as I expected, which is why other hosts shouldn’t be so quick to pass judgement on another host needing to change their procedures when we don’t know all the details. That these guests arrived for a stay in the jungle in Bali with 6 huge pieces of luggage says a lot about them. Unless they are planning to move there, a couple pairs of shorts and tee-shirts, a bathing suit and a pair of flip-flops seems more in order.

They sound like the kind of people who have totally unrealistic, entitled expectations, thinking a villa in the jungle in the rice paddies is going to come with limousine service, servants at their beck and call, the jungle having been fumigated before their arrival so they don’t have to encounter an insect. Fantasies gleaned from the movies.

1 Like

Or maybe they are world travelers and Bali is just one of many stops and the luggage is their scientific equipment they are using etc etc.

No judgement please… travel is very personal…

1 Like

Sure, whatever. I suspect “world travelers” would leave 5 of the huge pieces of luggage in a storage facility if they knew the transportation to their digs were only reached by scooter or walking. And scientists are pragmatic people who are aware that the tropics are full of insects, and wouldn’t refer to them as “bugs”.
Now maybe these folks are international drug dealers and that’s why they have 6 large bags and wanted the luggage not left behind to be delivered later. Maybe it’s filled with wads of $1000 bills, guns, and cocaine. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

No, still there, fell from 4.96 to 4.88

1 Like

I was looking at a different listing of yours.

If the review is inaccurate, I hope they remove it.

they won’t , this is their reply

2 Likes

yes, we would say ‘bench’ as shorthand for “kitchen benchtops”. we don’t use “countertops” as frequently.
Also we say “splashback”, not ‘backsplash’ for the tiles you have behind the stove, or working bench space.

@balivilla guests who go to bail and complain about bugs are idiots, I hope they weren’t aussies, and if so, I assume from colder southern Australia. still seems stupid. yesterday I had a guest tell me she saw a redback (spider) in the wood pile, and I said “yikes! well lucky we aussies know better than to put our hands into any unseen crevices”, and she agreed.

4 Likes

same, except for me it was the first time i went to a true winter climate, japan, from tropical Qld, Australia. I had NO idea about layers, my Canadian friend taught me how to wear a scarf (I’d never owned any real winter clothes before).

But these guests are being entitled brats. there’s a difference. Bali is lovely but it’s still an emerging economy, the roads aren’t great, it’s rustic… and you know, “island time” is a thing. guests should chill, and I reckon the review is awesome to warn away some types who get huffy over a 15min wait.

3 Likes

Too bad we can’t write that (wouldn’t it be fun to write reviews we’d like to write?! A new thread.)

"Too inaccurate to respond to except to say that these guests are the kind to come to Bali and get huffy after waiting just 15 minutes because they chose to have their bags delivered first. Whatever. Connect the dots. "

3 Likes

@balivilla I’ve found and had a look at your (fantastically gorgeous!) listing with this review on it. I also dug around on the guest and if it makes you feel any better this is not the worst review that this guest has written for a host. I think you can safely say that was him and not you.

As far as the response, I think you do need to respond and at least address the AC information. It should be clarified for other guests that there are two ACs, not one as he not only mentioned but highlighted in his review. It being on a single line alone really sticks out and is the only thing out of the entire review that might cause me to pause as a guest reading your reviews.

The rest of his review sounds like he’s not a good traveler and that he’s bratty and demanding. His review says much more about him than it does about your listing. Also, the raving review from the guest N that you received after his negates his BS anyway. So I don’t think you need to worry much about the review. You should respond and address the air conditioners. If you say more than that then I suggest you address the air conditioners first before the other complaints.

Here is a rewrite of your potential response with the ACs addressed first and primary:

We were thrilled to read your positive comments about the stunning views and beautiful setting of our villa. We regret to hear that your overall experience was not entirely satisfactory.

We apologize for any confusion about the air conditioning. We want to clarify that both rooms in the villa do have air conditioning, but we apologize if the AC in the other room was not easily noticeable for you.

We always strive to provide prompt and efficient service to our guests, and we regret that this was not the case on this occasion. We want to clarify that we offered to drive you to the villa first, but you requested that your luggage be delivered first. Therefore, we delivered your luggage one bag at a time, which unfortunately took longer than anticipated.

Finally, we want to clarify that we’ve checked the mosquito netting and cannot find any rips. Regarding the bugs and mosquitoes, being in a jungle environment, some bugs are to be expected. However, we do provide coils to repel mosquitoes, and we’re sorry if they were not sufficient for your needs.

We are grateful for your valuable feedback, which we will use to improve our services for future guests. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a truly memorable experience.

And just a side note, I noticed that the ACs are not clarified in the listing. I think there should be an explanation of where and how many ACs are included at the listing so that guests are not guessing about it (or worse, assuming the entire house is air conditioned).

2 Likes