Should I contact airbnb?

So her bad review has arrived. So I put mine in. Is this too harsh :confused:

Guest and her friend did not exchange any smiles or pleasantries when they arrived. They went straight into the house with their hiking boots on even though we have a sign in the foyer asking people to take their shoes off. I did not say anything since it was obvious something was wrong and I wanted to give them some time. They were not interested in anything I was showing them and made no effort in hiding the frown on their faces. After a little while they called me to the room to tell me they were unhappy with the accommodation. Especially the fact the room is next to the living room and has sliding doors, which the friend had slammed twice to make sure I noticed. This is all understandable except for the fact I state this very clearly in the listing with photos of the sliding doors. They worried about lack of privacy and wanted to know how “we” were going to resolve their unhappiness. I offered them a full refund if they cancelled even though this was after check-in and no way was I going to get another booking that night. Guest wanted me to cancel the booking so she could be sure about the refund. I refused since hosts get penalties for cancelling, especially so late in the day. She obviously did not trust my word and asked for cash which I denied. Finally she cancelled and I refunded her.

The whole experience was very uncomfortable and I cannot recommend [this person] as a guest.

OK, now that you’ve vented here, my suggestion, if you have not finalized (although I think you have?). I would not specifically mention a refund lest it give other guests ideas that they can pressure you if their princess-like needs are not addressed.

“Cannot recommend these guests. The configuration of the space and its adjacency to the living room are fully described in the listing, but, because they said they were unhappy with it, I accommodated them in finding another booking after check-in. They did not express any thanks, and I had to do additional cleaning when they ignored the “remove your shoes” sign upon entry.”

3 Likes

So true and too late, I already submitted my review. I have learned from the experience, though. I thought if they cancelled they wouldn’t get to submit review. But as they do, there is no point in offering refund. But I frankly just wanted them out.

1 Like

Anyone who cancels on the day of check in or later still gets to review. It’s always good to know all of the policies Airbnb are going to be applying to your money making enterprise.

1 Like

And…it counts against you if they don’t leave a review. My stats just went from 100% reviews to 95% because two same day cancellations didn’t leave reviews. Neither asked for, not received, a refund but Air felt it necessary to still keep score.