Should I cancel this guest?

I see some value in it for the reason you mention, also some look for Superhosts because they are aware that status is lost if the host cancels confirmed bookings (although that doesn’t include penalty-free IB cancellations, which no one would know about).

I just don’t think it’s something hosts should get all stressed out over, freaking out over if they get a 4* review, or knocking themselves out to try to please a demanding PITA guest in terror of a bad review.

I’ve even seen host responses to totally positive written reviews where the host has raked the guest over the coals for leaving a less than 5* review, which makes the host look way worse than a slightly lowered rating does.

Just use one of your freebies, it’s not worth the potential grief.

Scenarios like this are why I could never, ever, be an in home host.

JF

Oh ABB CS said I can’t use one of my freebies. If I cancel her, I have to take the hit and lose SH, get dropped in rankings, and days will still be blocked.

She’d be this way in a separate unit.

She finally replied and we’ll see how it goes. Thinking happy, positive thoughts for her visit.

@zimnopivo, if you ask them again and it results in silence again, you can cancel for the reason that they consistently fail to communicate.

2 Likes

I can’t find a mention of this in your prior posts on this thread. So they expect an 8 PM checkout when you already have a guest arriving for that day?

If you call Airbnb and say you are uncomfortable with the guest- they should cancel for you.

1 Like

Thank you for this perspective. I was thinking about asking why anyone would want to accept instant book, meaning they don’t have a chance to review the guest or their past reviews. I was unaware that if I turn on ‘instant book’ that it’s easier to cancel with no repercussions! I’ll search for more topics related to this issue. Currently I don’t allow instant book

Also to get the guest to cancel I got air bnb to intervene and talk to them. They had already postponed once and wanted to postpone again at 1 am the morning of the date their booking was due to start. I requested they cancel but they didn’t respond so I got Airbnb to contact them. That way it wasn’t me cancelling.
Air bnb talked me out of retaining the cancellation fee (first nights accom cost) which I would have been entitled to do but losing the whole booking was better than being mucked around again.

That’s legitimately shocking. What reason did they give? A freebie is just that. A freebie. I would call back and start fresh. Minimal words, just like @allbrittons said. “I am not comfortable”. No further explanation is required.

I HATE IT when I am dreading an upcoming stay. Life is too short, especially these days, and you/we work too hard at what we do to be wigged out before someone even arrives.

2 Likes

They buried it in another message. I then sent them a message stating I could do 12pm for free but I have people coming. I actually just blocked my calendar to get a day of rest (crazy busy here and lovely people), but I’m not telling them that.

1am changes? Even taking time zones into consideration, that’s just rude. I would have kept the 1 night, despite ABB’s bullying.

I’m over it at this point and am just sending up positive vibes and saying calming prayers for patience. Who knows, we may become besties! (sarcasm font)

1 Like

yeah, I wouldn’t host this person. if she IB you then you have the right to cancel her and say you are not comfortable with the guest. If you actually approved her then you will have to call Airbnb and get them to cancel. If you cancel up straight you will lose the super host status.

1 Like

If you cancel, it’s a hit against you with ABB. At best, don’t confirm her stay with you.
This is one of the dangers of instant booking. If they cancel, it’s on them. If other potential guests read that you cancelled a guest, they’ll be reluctant to book with you.

1 Like

@zimnopivo - I’m so happy you brought up this topic as I recently went through something very similar. After a week of correspondence, I knew there was absolutely no winning with this guest. There would always be something dissatisfying to her and I knew I was asking for problems and most likely a terrible review. After recommending multiple times (as kindly as humanly possible) that she consider booking a different property, I finally couldn’t take it anymore and I cancelled the reservation myself. It was definitely a risky decision that I probably should have thought about longer. However, I called Airbnb and explained the whole situation. They completely understood my point of view and waived the “penalties”. In hindsight, I probably should have called Airbnb first and that’s what I would recommend to you. With 94 five star reviews, you deserve guests that will respect you and your home as much as you respect and accommodate them!!

6 Likes

True words for all caring hosts.

4 Likes

If you have 94 reviews and are 5 stars you will not lose super host, just because of one lower review. I work very hard with keeping our super host as well, but I won’t let reviews made my judgement on how I run my business. Additionally if the review is your only issue with this guest, I would ride it out, because the cancellation is likely going to impact your super host before the review would.

3 Likes

Lots of back and forth on the value of SH. I have friends/relatives and some traveling hosts who have said they filter on SH. I think I would also. Your point here is a good one for anyone who values SH (I get it…that’s personal…not arguing that a host should or should not value it).

1 Like

I was looking over my “coupon” list this week and I’ve gotten $700 in SH travel vouchers and used them all. I’m on track for another one in July. I knew I’d gotten them but to see the list and the total was a great reminder that I want to keep getting it.

5 Likes

I don’t know that any hosts think it’s without value, I just don’t think that the fear of losing it or achieving it should affect the way hosts deal with problematic guests, i.e. ignore unacceptable behavior in terror of a bad review, stress out about it, or lose sleep on pins and needles waiting to see how a guest rated.

I agree. I do wish there was a better way. I don’t know what that is, though.

I think it isn’t okay, for example, for a poor review (esp. if it’s obviously retaliatory) to stand in a case where the Res Center/CS rules in the host’s favor.

What do you think about the cancellation percentage we have to maintain? It’s hard to meet for lower volume hosts (1 cancellation per 100 reservations). I think we all take canceling very seriously but is this goal reasonable?

1 Like

Well, I have never had to cancel a booking, so I haven’t formed an opinion on that. I’ve never used IB and seem to get requests from decent, responsible people who usually send a nice, informative message with their requests, and dialogue and answer questions fully and articulately. So when I accept a booking, there have never been any red flags surface afterwards.

But yes, if I ever did have to cancel a booking, I think losing Superhost over one cancellation is harsh. It would be better if it related to how many bookings one averages in a year, and a host’s cancellation history, rather than having to have at least 100 to get a free cancellation. I could never get 100 bookings a year, as most of my guests stay an average of a week- 10 days, and almost no one ever books between May- Oct., as the extreme heat and humidity does not attract tourists. The tourists who do come that time of year want air-conditioned places with pools near the beach, not my modest little offering in the countryside.

Of course I agree that Airbnb should not let revenge reviews stand nor reviews from guests who had to be booted out for bad behavior. But as for reviews when Airbnb ruled in a host’s favor, I have mixed feelings about that.

Airbnb’s rulings are not necessarily fair- many guests claim, “See- I was in the right- Airbnb took my side”, when in fact they only took the guest’s side because that is what they tend to do.

And I have read posts from guests who should certainly should have had Airbnb rule in their favor, but they backed up the host- usually these big property management outfits or hosts with dozens of listings, with whom they seem to turn a blind eye to unacceptable practices.

As for the alternative to being stressed out about Superhost status, I think you can care about something and keep it in mind in the way you run your business, with letting it become an overriding priority which leads to agitation and worry and makes hosting an ongoing source of stress.

1 Like