Should I Ask Primary Guest to Add Names of Guests to Reservation

So if you have an occasional host, renting say 10 days/year, do you think commercial insurance is cost effective when they have coverage from Airbnb?

I understand that many here want to name call such hosts naive and foolhardy and such, but I haven’t read any facts from them that suggest relying on Airbnb’s liability coverage is NEVER prudent.

Oh for crying out loud. People are saying, and rightly so, that relying on Airbnb is naive and foolhardy. It’s good advice based on years of personal experience and hearing stories of people who have not been paid by Airbnb or haven’t been offered nearly enough. No one has made a personal attack on you and insisting that is the case only further undermines your credibility.

3 Likes

My understanding is that if a registered guest were to make a claim against you Airbnb’s liability coverage would protect you. Sofar as I can see, the main risk you face with Airbnb coverage is to nearby property that is not the subject of the rental, or a lawsuit by someone not a registered guest.

I don’t think that is an exhaustive list. – had hoped there was more knowledge on this forum that might expand this list and suggest protective measures to come within Airbnb protection but find more smugness and venom toward Airbnb than facts, Hosts who are not ‘occasional’ Hosts and have no patience for Hosts in a different situation than theirs.

“People are saying, and rightly so, that relying on Airbnb is naive and foolhardy.”

That is not a reasoned argument. It is simple judgmental name calling that furthers nothing, much like your post.

Again, like so many other posts here, there are no facts or reasoned discussion.

You are giving bad advice that no one should follow. If you want to argue that your risk tolerance is high, that you have enough wealth to self insure or that some people won’t find buying insurance to be cost effective, go ahead. Maybe no insurance is the way to go for you and you only. Maybe you won’t be the host whose guest was killed on the rope swing tied to the front of a house in Austin TX.

It is a fact that many hosts have not been paid or were not paid enough by Airbnb for damages.

Here’s a recent thread that I submit as evidence:

Keep digging.

1 Like

@HostAirbnbVRBO You can go over to the Airbnb community forum and spend some time reading through a couple pages of posts on any given day to read True stories!!! by Real Hosts!!! concerning the damages done to their homes by guests, that Airbnb refuses to cover.

But you obviously aren’t interested in facts, just agreement.

Again, you simply make judgmental statements not supported by reasoning or facts.

Do I think rules can lessen my exposure to (and I might add ‘in’) litigation? Yes, I do. For one, my house rules state that only registered guests may enter the property, whether overnight or not, whether even for a minute. They state that anyone on the property who is not a registered guest is a trespasser. [The legal duty owed to a trespasser is FAR LESS than that owed to an ‘invitee’ – what we would call a guest.]

Now you might well be able to challenge my reasoning here. I do not pretend to be infallible. But, please note, I am making a reasoned case.

You, and others who simply vomit up words like ‘naive’ and ‘foolish’ are not.

See the difference?

Please note that I am talking about liability coverage, not property damage.

And please note that I am not looking for agreement at all but instead a reasoned discussion on what rules and procedures might lessen exposure in litigation and preserve the Airbnb coverage that is provided.

Are you paying attention at all??

@HostAirbnbVRBO is the type of poster we see fairly often here. He is someone who has got a bee in his bonnet about something and wants us all to agree with him. No one does but he continues to argue.

Totting up quickly, I’d say that the members here who have told him that having STR insurance is a must, probably have well over a hundred combined years in this business. But we are wrong and he is right.

Well, there are thousands of people reading this site every day. Many of these are potential or new hosts. And none of us here (apart from the OP of course) want to mislead them. If you are going into the STR business you need proper STR insurance.

Of course, there are often some potential guests reading too. And so it’s important to point out that when you stay with a proper STR host, you can be sure that they care about the safety and well-being of their guests and don’t avoid proper insurance because it costs money.

4 Likes

“That is not a reasoned argument” is not a reasoned statement at all. It is simply an unsupported judgment.

What advice do you claim I am giving? To self insure? I say that nowhere. In fact, I stated here that I do have commercial insurance through Proper. But just because I have determined that that is the appropriate action to take for me, in my situation, well I am not so presumptuous as to say everyone should do that.

Now you raise property damage coverage provided by Airbnb, a completely separate program. It is a non sequitur.

I’m done, perhaps some others will continue. Best of luck to you.

It isn’t “provided”. That’s the part you refuse to acknowledge. It is only a possibility. That Airbnb can easily decide you aren’t eligible for. Exactly like the 1 million dollar “Host guarantee” which isn’t a guarantee at all, and which hosts often are denied, despite extensive proven damages by guests.

So no, it isn’t a non sequitor.

YES. I ask guests to give me their full names that match their ID such as drivers license or passport. I tell them it’s for insurance, which it is, and that I’ll check it at the door, just like a hotel.

Just because one is renting out a home or rooms in a home doesn’t mean this isn’t a real business.

1 Like

Ahh. Under what circumstances do you claim that a Host would be ineligible to receive the liability coverage? I have said it does not apply to unregistered guests. Do you have more substantively to add? Or would you simply like to go on making general statements? And, again, this is about liability coverage, not property damage. Please follow along.

Of course, you are done, and well done it is! You added nothing but judgmental statements, no reasoning whatsoever.

I am surprised that you are a ‘moderator.’

I am not asking for agreement at all, That is the straw man you’d like to argue against. I have commercial insurance, but I don’t think that just because I decided to get it that EVERYONE must, though I am open to being challenged. It’s just that saying that that is ‘naive’ or ‘foolish’ is not an argument, not reasoning at all.

Are you suggesting I want to mislead anyone? What is your basis for saying that?

I simply continue to challenge those who do not provide reasoning or facts as it applies to Airbnb’s liability coverage to provide such facts and reasoning. Who knows? You might be right in your conclusions but you don’t explain yourselves. You don’t respond to what I’ve actually written, though a few of you – good for you – have.

It’s you who isn’t following along. There is no more reason to think Airbnb liability coverage can be relied on than their “Host Guarantee” for property damage by registered guests.

But hey. I suggest you place some obstacles somewhere which might cause a registered guest to slip and fall, and then get back to us to let us know how well Airbnb’s liability insurance worked out for you.

1 Like

See this. Where do you disagree and why? Is this statement of mine consistent with your rant?