Should a previous host leave recommendations to someone hosting them?

Dull knives are not only almost useless, but they are unsafe! I get annoyed enough at the thoughtlessness with which hosts furnish (or don’t furnish) a place that I would complain about dull knives in my review. As a guest dull knives indicate to me that the host doesn’t really care about the rental or its guests.

5 Likes

I’ve always provided good knives but I have an annual guest who I think might be a professional chef - he always bring very expensive knives in a roll.

2 Likes

Yes, the worldwide Covid death rate just went over 6 million this week. Largely preventable deaths. I feel much more exhausted by seeing and hearing people saying it’s over than by continuing to take the precautions I’ve been taking for the past 2 years.

1 Like

Yeah, I hear that from all you sharp knife folks. What a crock. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You cut yourself with a sharp knife, you can slice right through to the bone. I have never cut myself with my not sharp knives. So if you sail down to my neck of the woods, I’d love to have you over, but you’ll have to bring your own knives.

Nope. It’s my kitchen that guests share with me and I have a fear of sharp knives. If I provided a kitchen solely for guests, I’d give them sharp knives.

My son-in-law did that when they came to visit. He’s not a pro chef, but he loves to cook.

2 Likes

I’ve not yet been a guest, but yes, I’d likely say "Thank you for hosting me, I had a good stay. Here’s a couple things I noticed that I thought you might want to know, as I know some guests can be really critical and might complain in a review (I certainly won’t). "

If it was something I thought I might get blamed for, I’d do that after I arrived, in a similar way. A seasoned guest did that when she came. 5 minutes after she arrived, she pointed out a loose shelf in the closet. It wasn’t a complaint, she just didn’t want to get blamed for it. (Not that I would call out a guest for a loose shelf, and in fact I’d noticed when cleaning, just forgot to go back in with a screwdriver). I thought that was smart of her. She’d probably gotten falsely accused by some other host.

And if it isn’t anything you’re worried about gettting blamed for, there’s no reason a guest can’t post a good review and send private feedback after that. Then the host has no worries about you being a complainer who’s going to leave a bad review.

2 Likes

I think if it’s done privately and with kindness then it’s appreciated. I was just cleaning my suite and discovered one of my surge protector strips wasn’t working. Given that the light still went on, I never know. I only figure it out because I noticed that all the plugs had been moved to a different surge strip. I would have loved a heads-up.

6 Likes

I appreciate comments as long as they are in the private message. I don’t argue a point, just say thanks and react to those that are related to safety, cleanliness or affordable convenience. I can’t change the layout of my rooms, the outside traffic, etc. I often start with something like “I have given you a great review, but thought that you might want to know/consider, etc”. That said some guy suggested that we paint our 210 year old house. When I could afford it several years later I almost sent him a picture. If someone notes that something wasn’t there that really is, I consider whether it is easy to notice and may add it to my check-in comments or description. Examples of some easy fixes have been added luggage racks, better TV directions, some sound deadening measures for the fridge and eliminating multiple digital read outs on small appliances that stay lit in the night.

2 Likes

Go be a guest somewhere when you can. It is a different experience and gives some perspective. Despite all the packing in and packing out— a lot harder with a sick hubby— it is so much better than a hotel. Interestingly the transplant team kept recommending a hotel. Hubby told them afterwards there is no way we could have done this in a hotel. Risky elevator rides, no kitchen or inadequate kitchen for food prep, washing clothes and towels frequently…they just had not thought of those things.

1 Like

We have stayed at several Airbnbs over the years. I never left any suggestions about what those hosts could improve. Instead, we both learned things about what we could change in our own Airbnb rooms.

From one, we learned to ensure that tables are knickknack-free and usable. From another, we learned why a herd of decorative bed pillows is challenging.

From another, we learned why we prefer breakfast in the kitchen with the host, rather than a big empty dining room.

From our most recent trip (more than two years ago), we learned the importance of electrical outlets and charging stations.

All these lessons caused us to make changes in our own rooms.

I think I would tell or text the host only about something dysfunctional, like a broken switch. But that hasn’t happened.

3 Likes

Oh, I would definitely stay in an Airbnb over a hotel. The reason I haven’t ever booked an Airbnb is because I don’t stay at hotels either- I’m not much of a traveler anymore (did a lot when I was young). The only travelling I do is a summer trip from here in Mexico to Canada to see my daughters and grandkids, where I stay with them.

I used to think nothing of 8 day road trips, but now while I like being in new places, I hate the getting there. If I could just magically get plopped down in a new place, without travelling to get there, that would be perfect for me.

1 Like

The “getting there” is also an obstacle for us. Car travel and flights are very unappealing. We do like train trips, but those are limited in the US.

And we don’t think cruises sound safe any more, as much as we’ve loved them in the past.

I remember the years of “road trip!” and “plane ride!” excitement. Pretty much over those now.

I’m just the opposite. To me the journey is the interesting part and when I’m there (wherever there might be) I’m looking forward to the return journey, especially if it’s by car.

Them were the days :rofl:

I think our days of long road trips are well behind us, getting too soft and now no longer have a car suitable. Our puddlehopper is fine battering up the AP4 to Sevilla airport and back, but after doing a longish day from here to Setenil and then on to Ronda when our daughter was over a few weeks ago, I wouldn’t relish anything longer.

Sometimes the impromptu ones are the best. I remember dropping our girls off at their mothers in Glasgow on Thursday afternoon, then sending them pics from Luxembourg the following evening.

The last one we did was around six years ago, from Dundee to Porto via the Loire Valley, Bordeaux, San Sebastian, and Galicia (see the common theme there :wink: ). Took around three weeks or so, and as it was pre Brexit had no problem filling the car up with goodies :wine_glass:

When I was younger, my mate and I used to fill the old 1966 MGB roadster with our climbing gear, head for the Alps, spend a week or so climbing, then come home the long way round, usually via the south of France.

Always had great fun, especially the time the engine overheated on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, blocking traffic for around twenty minutes.

A couple of friendly Gendarmes pushed us off to a side street and then spent the next ten minutes examining the car. We thought we were in for a ticket, but it turned out one was mad on classic cars and we ended up having a beer with them while the engine cooled down and they made sure the café owner provided us with water for the radiator!

Another time we ended up in Monaco and again had a certain level of interaction with the local Police, which sadly didn’t end so well. First time I’ve ever been banned from an actual country, and honestly officer, I wasn’t driving :rofl:

JF

2 Likes

I’m with you. Where are those ruby red slippers when we need them?

why a herd of decorative bed pillows is challenging.

I was surprised at all the decorative pillows at every place I went!

we both learned things about what we could change in our own Airbnb rooms.

So agree! There were some beautiful and functional touches I would have copied if I were still hosting

2 Likes

I only leave private feedback if I’m asked for suggestions or if there’s an issue the host should be aware of like a burned out ceiling light or a leaking faucet. Otherwise I don’t presume they would want my personal suggestions even from another host. Goodness knows I’ve gotten some annoying unsolicited suggestions (candles! A little hand held broom for the countertop! A drawer of aluminum foil and Saran Wrap that already exists etc)

3 Likes

My last big one was six years ago this coming fall. I went from El Paso to US east coast. Farthest point east from here was Rehobeth Beach, DE. Longest day was the first one, El Paso to Miami, Ok, 923 miles via the route I took. And before that it had been a few years so that trip gave me a lot of confidence that I could still do it. That was a solo trip. My most recent one was last Sept from here to Denver and that was about 1300 RT with a friend and with stops coming and going so quite easy.

Point being, I’m still ready to hit the road, I just need time off. My problem now is that it costs me so much money to be out of town. However I’m completely aware that any trip could be my last. Someday I’ll know I can’t do it any more. But not yet.

3 Likes

I’ve been a host for 6 years. I also send private messages to the hosts about “problems” they may not be aware of, especially if they are not doing the cleaning or inspecting between guests.
I would want someone to let me know, unless they were suggesting I spend
a lot of money on upgrades that my price point wouldn’t support.

Please never stay at any of my AirBnBs. I care about my guests and my house; I don’t care about my knives. I provide TWO knife sharpeners; if my knives aren’t to the guest’s preferred degree of sharpness, the solution is right there. I worry about comfort, cleanliness, and aesthetics, not some people’s preferences in cutlery condition.

Saying if the knives aren’t sharp indicates the host doesn’t really care about the rental or the guests is quite erroneous.

5 Likes

Let me revise my statement:

As a guest, dull knives with no tool to sharpen them indicate to me that the host doesn’t really care about the rental or its guests.

And that statement was prompted by a host that had indeed provided a knife that would barely cut warm butter with no sharpener anywhere in the place, and I was traveling without any kind of tools.

2 Likes