Shooting next door

If you are interested, I found this website very credible and great charts.

They have A graph comparing death rates with gun ownership and it is strongly correlated. Eg stages with very high gun ownership (not California and other high ‘gang’ areas have much higher death rates.

Where I am spending most of my Xmas holidays is only in the middle and yet 50% of household have a gun. 50%. Does everyone realize how insane that sounds? For a previous community worker who used to visit some highly distressed people at home that scares me and I wonder if I would have been shot if working in US.

1 Like

Thankyou Emily, much appreciated.

Although I’m still not sure how this thread snowballed from a shooting in Australia, to “you are likely to get shot in America”

We must be on the internet!

7 Likes

Let’s remember Terry actually lives there.

3 Likes

Since this is a forum about Hosts, I was responding to how I dealt with the situation as a host, a small business person. There are better forums for discussing America’s gun problem.

I’m responsible for up to 36 guests at any given time and their safety. I’m not apologizing for how I responded to the situation nor your perceived disregard for the victim.

It’s a given that the situation was unfortunate. I can’t control random violence in the streets. What would you have done differently might I ask? Speak to the police, neighborhood groups, mayor, councilperson, hire private security…all things I have done including mentoring at risk youth to get them to use nailguns instead of handguns.

So, yes, it was a non-issue for my guests. I got great reviews. A lesson in crisis management. The shooting victim is fine. Police caught the shooter 10 mins after the incident. Meanwhile, you post links in a forum. Good for you.

6 Likes

You’ve kind of isolated one of my sentences and exaggerated it to an illogical conclusion, and I’ve seen you do it in other threads as well, I assume it helps you make your point.
In a thread where people are getting hysterical about being shot whilst holidaying in America, I suggested (in my own way) that if you’re not suicidal or in a gang, or arguing with an armed relative, you are not likely to see any gun crime…

3 Likes

My husband came close to being accidentally killed by his brother. My husband was taking a shower. His brother was cleaning one of his guns in the living room. He forgot about the bullet in the chamber. The gun discharged. The bullet went into the wall less than two feet from my husband’s head. My husband’s brother is a security guard who is licensed to carry a gun on the job. He has many guns and is an experienced gun owner.

It is not “hysterical” to believe that you are more likely to be a victim of gun violence in the U.S. than in many other countries. It is a fact.

1 Like

Again, not quite what I’m getting at. America has way more gun crime than any other country, agreed.
Are you likely to get shot in America? No.
But you are MORE likely to get shot in America than anywhere else. That doesn’t make it a probability that it will happen, probably before the weekend.

1 Like

So, unless the discussion goes exactly the way you want you feel justified in insulting people with opposing views.

As one is far more likely to experience gun violence in the U.S. than in other developed countries, I think it’s prudent to factor it into one’s travel plans.

1 Like

don’t play the victim, I haven’t insulted anyone, we’re having a discussion, and now you start playing the ‘help, he still has his own opinion, and is oppressing me with it’ card.
And you’ve posted exactly the same thing again. I covered that in my previous post. I distinctly wrote ‘you are more likely to get shot in America than any other country’, it’s the 3rd line in my post. I’ll go and edit it, put it in bold.
But there is a world of difference between ‘more likely’, and ‘likely’, and you know it, but you want to be seen to batter me into the ground with it your interpretation.
We both agree that there is a higher gun kill rate in America.
I’m sure you don’t put ‘you’re likely to die’ in your listings. But you could put ‘you’re MORE likely to die’. 25 times more likely by the look of it, sounds about right, especially in South Chicago.

I feel like those two statements contradict each other, wildly.

6 Likes

How do they contradict each other?

What is this supposed to mean? You know nothing about me or the extraordinary commitment I have made to my community and country, or the public awards I have received for doing so.

Don’t assume anything about me and don’t tell me what topics I can discuss on what forum and judge my contribution to the society which is baseless and inaccurate. Very distasteful.

This is also unnecessary, at what point was I ‘hysterical’. In fact I said the opposite:

Please don’t exaggerate and call me hysterical. Men do that to women all the time and it’s offensive.

My friend from work is in the USA holiday now: there was a mass shooting in Chicago near where she was, a terrorist attack in NYC the day before she arrived and a shooting in A Walmart where she was shopping in the next town she visited. It has negatively impacted her trip and views of America. This is actually what the host was asking about - an unexpected shooting impacting her guest and any actions she should take. My initial response (not know it was my country and not the USA as this forum is very USA centric) was that this should not be so unexpected.

4 Likes

@Emily, good for you for making this point. The etymology of the word hysteria shows that is is a sexist word.

2 Likes

I don’t know, I think this is a bit hysterical :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I hope that those considering visiting the United States will not be deterred by fear mongers of any kind.

When planning travel to the US tourists should consider the dangers of poisoning, car crashes and falls ahead of gunshots.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

http://www.nsc.org/learn/safety-knowledge/Pages/injury-facts-chart.aspx

6 Likes

The attached chart doesn’t say that the statistics are compiled solely in the U.S. In fact, the World Health Organization is mentioned. In any event, in most developed countries people don’t have to consider gun violence at all.

1 Like

Funny, you’re the one who implied the very same thing about me. I was responding to how I dealt with situation as a Host, the point of this forum. Somehow you take my post and make a snide comment about what you perceived as lack of concern for the victim.

2 Likes

They are US statistics. They used the WHO’s classification of disease definitions but the data is from US government organizations as listed in the sources at the bottom.

At all? So you are saying no one in a developed country is ever killed by a firearm? That is incorrect. Or you’re speculating on what people think about when making travel plans?

Considering gun violence when making travel plans to visit the US but not considering the likelihood of falling or being poisoned would be illogical.

Just because there is more gun violence in the US doesn’t mean it should affect tourism.

I believe that many people consider safety and/or perceived safety when choosing where to vacation. You are upset that people looking at Airbnb in your area also see listings in Juarez, Mexico. I assume this is because you perceive Texas as safer than Juarez, Mexico.

There are places in the world I wouldn’t visit because of the incidence of violence.