Shooting next door

Well, I for one don’t really find this humorous, with a complete lack of concern for an obviously distressed host. To quote, It sucks somewhat.

People are just as dead from self-inflicted gun violence as from being shot by someone else. We have a big problem with gun violence in the U.S. (self-inflicted, accidental and crime). I don’t agree with you that we should minimize gun violence here.

We had a guest who was mugged by someone who had a gun. The guest lived in England. He told us that he fought the mugger for his phone, “because my life is in my phone”. The attacker hit our guest with the gun. Our guest sustained a head injury. The police drove him back to our house because he was too disoriented to get here on his own.

I live in Los Angeles, CA on the Westside. The mugging took place near Downtown. California has strong gun control compared to many states.

Much as I love reading Mark Twain, his observations about statistics were meant to amuse not enlighten. I can’t imagine any way to look at the statistics about gun violence in the U.S. and not conclude that we have a giant problem. Are you questioning the Center for Disease Control’s methodology?

3 Likes

Until I read “Australia” I was thinking you were in Highgate Hill, North London. I hate saying it, but I am relieved as I have many friends there. Hope all works out with your guests.

Lol! I’ve lived in Highgate Hill, didn’t make the connection!

Let’s just say I think your view is skewed to living in LA where my view is skewed by living in a much more rural area. Blanket statements about “America” annoy me because there are many “American” experiences. Unfortunately, it has become popular to put down both this country and it’s people. I am not a “love it or leave it” person I just get weary of the constant America bashing. Just as I am sick and tired of the political bashing. Remember when we could be friends EVEN IF we didn’t agree on issues? That actually still happens but you would never know it from the media - both social and traditional. But that is another topic!

It is not the CDC methodology it is the interpretation of the results I question.

5 Likes

Stating facts is not bashing. Facts don’t have a political side and have nothing to do with friendship. In fact, I have friends who are gun lovers. However, it is an indisputable fact that Americans experience much more gun violence than citizens of most other countries.

3 Likes

America has a huge gun problem and an high rate of firearm related deaths compared to similar nations.
http://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(15)01030-X/fulltext

Still, it’s beyond ridiculous for anyone to think

I was hoping Emily was exaggerating for comic effect but it seems she was dead serious. The funniest bit was when she assumed it happened in the US and instead it was her own country.

3 Likes

No, this is not the reason for my comments.

It seems I have offended many yanks and I am happy to do so on the issue of gun control.

My comments and much of the rest of the world’s perception is that the easy access and promotion of guns and gun culture in the USA is outrageous and unnecessary. Statistics clearly demonstrate Actual murders and gun deaths, deaths of women and children when guns are in the home at blow-your-mind levels. It has NOTHING to do with the size of your country or the media. It is a fact, too many people in America have guns = too many people get killed, too many people justify it as a ‘right’ and nobody changes it. We had one mass shooting by a deranged lunatic in Australia and the laws (which weee already pretty strict) were changed virtually the next day. By a very conservative and right wing government.

It’s up to you to fix your own country but I am certainly able to comment on it, as have many many academics with the facts, yet nothing changes.

We get a lift out in the Sunday paper here with real estate, cafes, events & food. My family in
America got a 10 page colour lift out of guns including semi automatic assault rifles. I mean WTF!

I’m not talking about someone in my party, especially as I am traveling in a party of 1. I mean someone, in a street, nearby house, hotel whatever eg if I see police tape and hear there has been a shooting I won’t freak out or be shocked. This was my intended points.

And I don’t think it’s ‘funny’ someone was shot in Australia or anywhere. I asked the host if they were in Australia and assumed wrong and have no problem with that and see no harm done by this? My assumption is based on what is most obvious and America has a problem. Australia has many of its own- guns and gun deaths isn’t one of them.

This is not unjustified.

I love America, most people I know in my country do not and think it bizarre I would consider moving there. I am constantly talking about great things about Americans and America to these folk. And I am soon to travel there again at great expense but you have an appalling health system and out of control gun culture. Facts. You can’t fix what you don’t acknowledge and calling it ‘bashing’ when someone raises real and fixable concerns is not helpful to you or your country. IMHO

4 Likes

Me either. I thought your assumption that this happened in the US was ironically funny.

Mine as well. Did you see this part of my post?

1 Like
  1. Is a good way to get yourself kicked off Airbnb.

Why would you offer a refund in relation to something that is out of your control? This tendency to offer money for any and all levels of potential discomfort is what is driving the faux complaints, poor reviews etc.
I reviewed a set of headphones after being nagged by the seller. I didn’t give them top marks as there were some difficulties with design and functionality. 4/5. Next thing I know they are sending me a new set of the latest design. I didn’t ask for a refund, thought 4/5 was quite acceptable.
In all the years I’ve travelled there have been minor issues, but none I’d expect a refund for. I see reviews, when used sensibly, as a way to help future cusumers by pointing out gaps in service/quality/function, so the provider can improve.
I will follow my mother’s maxim in a restaurant and send poorly prepared food back to the kitchen. She managed a J. Lyons restaurant in England, and said that she needed customer feedback to make sure standards were maintained.

7 Likes

I’m with you on this! It annoys me so much when I’m eating out with people who do nothing but complain (to me, or the group) but refuse to say a word to the staff. And then keep complaining, and then probably leaving a terrible trip advisor review, all the while refusing to let the restaurant try and make things right. I always let the server know if things aren’t right, especially as they usually ask. I’m quite polite about it but I’m not afraid to let them know

2 Likes

USA gun death statistics may paint a bad picture, but most of that crime is inter gang related (I think). As long as you don’t try to rip off a Crip over some drugs there’s very little chance that you’ll see gun crime.

In Britain, we do nothing but eat fish ‘n’ chips (I think), but you’d probably have to hang out near a chippie to see some vinegar action.

1 Like

I live in the South Eastern USA. I grew up being taught how to shoot. Many of my friends have concealed carry permits. We have problems with deer & coyote overpopulation. Many of my relatives are hunters.

I was a nurse in a level one trauma center hospital. Most of the gunshot wounds were gang related & suicides. I promise the norm is not to swagger around looking for someone to shoot.

4 Likes

No it’s not. That’s something that’s touted by the pro-gun lobby in the US but official government statistics don’t support this. A lot of gun related deaths are suicides and accidents.

(There were 19,766 suicides committed with firearms in 2011)

What is worrying is that gun crime on the US is on the increase.

1 Like

Not explained away by gangs and suicide…

1 Like

I recalled a news article re toddler/gun related deaths in the USA, not seen any similar incidents elsewhere in the world. Must admit actually writing toddler/gun and subject not about appropriate choice of toys rather sickened me. The NRA has no desire to protect people, if it did, there would be better protection for children.

From Snopes

"On 17 December 2015, we contacted Christopher Ingraham, the Washington Post journalist whose article inadvertently sparked all the comparison memes. Ingraham confirmed that he continued compiling information on toddler-involved shootings after publishing his October 2015 article and provided us with updated data.

Noting that “in most cases, the toddlers are killing or injuring themselves,” Ingraham counted 58 total toddler-involved shootings in 2015 as of 17 December of that year. In 19 instances toddlers shot and killed themselves, and in two others toddlers shot and killed other individuals. That brought the total of toddler-involved shooting deaths in the United States in 2015 to 21.

By contrast, if we counted both the Chattanooga shootings and San Bernardino as instances of Islamic terrorism, that would mean 19 Americans were killed in instances of suspected, reported, or potential Islamic terrorism in 2015. Counting American victims of the November 2015 Paris attacks brought that number up to 20.

Even using the broadest leeway in counting U.S. victims of “Islamic terrorism” leads to the same mathematical conclusion: More Americans were shot and killed by toddlers in 2015 than were killed by Islamic terrorists."

2 Likes

I’d like to know why a host in the USA had difficulty in how to word a review when their host left a loaded gun unattended in a kitchen counter in the rental. I personally would have focused the review on the gun, but these folks left the gun issue to the end, instead spending some time discussing the state of the rooms, location etc.
I doubt there were coyotes at large.
It appears that safety is less important than unwashed dishes in the kitchen, some clutter and how handy it was to the wedding venue and airport. I have no words to express my discomfort and disconnect with this state of affairs.

1 Like