SHARING: House rules poster template

We do that, too! But generally assume (especially from guest perspective) that most people really only pay attention to information they need to know NOW (like: can I bring my dog/kid/boat/collection of antelope skulls when they’re checking in), and that it’s really effective to drip information to them on an as-needed basis, too. So our communication set up is:

Active reminders:

• Confirm acceptance of rules before booking (we don’t mess with IB)
  • Ask any specific rules-related questions of guests before booking
  • Automated email one week before with directions and house rules
  • Automated email one day before check-in with directions and house rules
  • Automated email one day AFTER check-in to make sure everything’s working, no questions, etc.
  • Automated email one day before check-out to remind them of procedures, make sure everything’s still working properly

Passive reminders:

• Rules are in a specific section of the house manual but also sprinkled throughout where relevant (like in the “things to do” section, we have a gentle reminder that dogs can’t be left unattended, so here are some dog-friendly activities and services)
  • Framed 8.5x11" sign with rules on the entry hall table
  • Labels on the inside of drawers and cabinets about where things are (including cleaning supplies for pet accidents/dishes/etc.)

So far I haven’t found a correlation with how many times/different ways we reiterate rules and how likely guests are with respecting them. We’ve tried different iterations and had folks sneak in a dog, bring extra guests and leave the front door unlocked despite rule reminders - and other times guests have been so respectful it’s like they haven’t even been there without any extra communication of rules

1 Like

This looks really helpful. I have my list of check out procedures in our house manual also but do notice guests often must not read it because they don’t follow the house rules (which are very simple and common sense). Thank you for sharing!

Thanks! I’ll be interested to hear if it has any effect for you!

That makes sense to me. I feel like people are going to either be respectful or not. I have never mentioned a house rule to a guest once they were booked.

I have trouble with one but is about booking. We are dog friendly but the house rule is that the dog(s) must be pre-approved by me prior to booking. Most people do contact me first, but some just book and tell me they’re a bringing a dog. And some people don’t tell me at all but I ask if I’m suspicious and then they tell me they’re bringing a dog. It works out either way 99.99% of the time anyway. I guess I could put it in all caps at the top of the listing but 1. I would look like a crazy person 2. I doubt it would make much difference.

1 Like

I see a lot of notes about whether posted rules are good or bad. I think a great deal depends on whether hosts do check in alone or meet the host. We weave some rules into our Fast Facts laminated sheet in each room. However, we also have framed copy of our commitment to guests.

1 Like

What’s your commitment to guests say?

1 Like

I think it also depends on how they are posted, and how many you have. A graphically attractive, framed note in the appropriate spot is a lot different than scrawled post-it notes stuck all over the place.

I tell my home share guests to feel free to rummage around in the kitchen drawers if they can’t remember where things are kept (it’s not like there’s anything private or embarrassing in there). I’d find it totally tacky-looking to have stickers on the drawers and cupboards.

1 Like

I was just in a lower priced Airbnb that had a few signs. One with instructions on operating the Keurig was okay. The one in bathroom behind a cracked glass was uh… why not replace the glass and the handwritten one taped on the only towel bar in the bathroom saying "don’t use this, it will be repaired soon is a “no.” Take the towel bar down or fix it. Over 400 reviews at a 4.94 average so I’m going to assume the last guest pulled it off the wall the day of our arrival and there was no time to do the repair. There were a couple of cosmetic things I’d never allow in my airbnb but it didn’t affect the function or comfort.

Bottom line for me was that I don’t need to work as hard as a do.

2 Likes

Yeah, but you probably will, anyway. :wink: I know I wouldn’t be able to leave damaged things around for guests to live with. On the other hand, if there was something I really couldn’t fix or remove before a guest checked in, I’d apologize and explain why and try not to stress about it. Maybe better to have a note on a towel bar a guest just broke than gaping holes in the wall because you couldn’t get a new one up in time.

1 Like

Will post a copy but might not be able to for a couple days.

1 Like