Shampoo, conditioner, guest amenities

My first post here, so hope this helpful.

We’ve been in the short term rental business since 2011.
Only been on AIRBNB the last 2 years or so.
We have a total of 10 units in downtown Toronto, Little Italy.

When we first started, we would buy bulk sample/travel size shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers etc from the Body Shop on sale. Maybe it would cost us a buck or less per little bottle.Tops 5 bucks a unit per stay. We found that guests kind of used them or used half and there was no comment either way.

So we stopped doing it. Since then I’ve only had one comment about not having that sort of stuff.

Once we book a guest we send out a detailed email about directions and what to expect when they arrive. This includes points like we don’t supply personal care items like shampoo and body wash and we explain why: because guests have a personal preference for that kind of stuff. We also mention we don’t have land lines in the units anymore because of the prevalence of cell phones and skype etc. So far we haven’t had a complaint.

We do tell them we supply free wifi, cable tv, free parking, hand soap, dish detergent, dishwasher tabs, paper towels and toilet paper.

I think, it’s all about setting expectations.

Now, I’ve stayed at a VRBO house in Florida 4 times in the last 2 years. The owner is actually a good friend of mine from work. Last couple of times we were there for 2 week stays. But we know the drill. From dishwasher tabs, toothpaste, to salt and pepper, and cooking oil -we know we need to supply it. And we’re good with that.

I think it’s fair. And makes sense. For a whole bunch of reasons -including waste, personal preferences etc.

But that’s just us. Everyone should run their own business in a way they see fit.
Mine is just our POV based on our experience.

Cheers!

I

1 Like

My two bedroom apartment rents for $129/night to $250 a night, depending on the season. In my price range, I think it is imperative to provide shower gel, shampoo and conditioner. From time to time I will pick up some bargain toiletries like toothpaste and lotion in case folks forget. They are all very appreciative of this. I buy large bottle of semi nice stuff and it really lasts. I think it depends on your clientele. I have been hosting since June of this year, and have yet to find any problems with ANY guests. No stains, no mess, nothing but the nicest folks!! I love my job.

My price point is a lot lower than yours. If I started to provide more I would have to increase my price. I am not sure I would still get the same level of traffic.

The only thing I need a source for is small, quality, bars of soap. I was at an Airbnb in Sedona and they had the nicest soaps, perfect size. I asked how to get them…sorry, it was a place going out of business. I have large pump dispensers for shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel in shower, all from health store. I tell guests that if they need something, I can provide it, and I do have disposable razors, shaving gel, and other things, but not out. I believe that putting the hotel like amenities out invites them to take them whether they really needed them or not. In their bathroom,they have organic liquid hand soap, lotion, and the solid soap.

1 Like

Hands down, these are the two best items we ever switched to. We have gotten more positive comments and feedback about our soap and pillows than I ever thought possible!

We use Macy’s CharterClub Quilted Pillows - these guys really retain their shape amazingly well! Plus they are comfortable as heck (I even use them on my own bed!). http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/charter-club-standard-down-alternative-gusset-pillow-quilted-only-at-macys?ID=586049&CategoryID=28901

For soap, we started using these after we discovered them at another property we were staying at. A little more expensive than regular soaps, but people love them! https://www.amazon.com/ECO-Amenities-Individually-Wrapped-Oatmeal/dp/B00XYB8J3W/ref=pd_sim_194_44?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00XYB8J3W&pd_rd_r=V32MPFEGGYGCBE1PW2AK&pd_rd_w=O8Pt7&pd_rd_wg=Z92Q2&psc=1&refRID=V32MPFEGGYGCBE1PW2AK

Cheers,
Rob

1 Like

Currently unavailable.

I make handmade soap, as natural as I can get it. At first I put my nice bars in the cabin, guest used them once and when I cleaned up I had to toss them. So I have been making guest size bars of soap. they are about 3 inch ovals and about 1/2 inch thick. Perfect, very little left to toss out. I also make a small gift bag with 2 of my better bars as a gift for each guest. they seem to like it

2 Likes

That is a lovely gesture! A guest left me a three-pack of sea salt assorted “flavors” of soap this week and I was very grateful.

thanks for all the responce

I have made salt bars but have not been happy with them. What my guest get are luxury soap bars that sell for $5.95 each. I hope they use them and enjoy them. I am sure my guest size bars will save me money, and these smell like cinnamon.

I love that idea–especially the cinnamon! My guests gave me peppermint, shea butter, and rose something or other. The peppermint is devine! Have you tried to make peppermint? Lavender and lemon would be amazing, too. I bought molds to do something like that and I have a lot of essential oils, but I haven’t been brave enough to give it a whirl yet! Good for you for doing so!

I have made many scents, some were good some were not. I have been making soap for several years. To learn how you need to watch many many you tub instructions.

1 Like

I understand it takes a good bit of practice. I don’t know if I have the patience for it. I do decorate a lot of cookies, but I can always eat one or four along the way to spur me on! :wink:

I used to market these when I was a marketing manager. You can literally create your own brand with them (AirHair? BodyBnb? ;-)) And hosts can feature it!

An obvious choice is Plus. But also upscale listings for vacation and business too.

Actually it is not difficult you just need to learn when to do what. I once made fancy soaps but for the rental they are plain. Pricey to get started but the supplies last a while.

That’s cool, thanks for the info

Maybe I’ll give it a whirl!

We buy big refillable bottles from the dollar store. Same with hand soap and dollar store brand shampoo.