Setting Up Own Website

$125 really cheap for a decent photographer

You must be a photographer.

FYI, I got pro pics for my listing by hosting a professional photographer who was in town for other work. My room is $50 so even if I had comped him the room it wouldn’t have cost me that much. We did have a couple of my beers.

I understand that calling a photographer in costs more than what I paid but nice photos don’t have to be expensive. Also with simple editing tools on a late model smartphone camera can produce excellent photos. Not good news for pro photogs but it is what it is.

No one here thinks photos are the most expensive part of “setting up your own website,” which is the topic.

They can look fairly good if you are reasonably competant, but when you put them up against a pro (from £150) you will see a big difference

I can see where some listings and some hosts inability to understand what makes a decent photo would warrant professional photography. However I’ve seen literally thousands of listings with mediocre photos that are doing very well. For many hosts it’s just not worth the expense for their listing. I have a website for my dog boarding business and none of the photos were taken professionally, they are all cell phone photos.

No one is arguing that cell photos are as good as pro photos or that pro photos don’t cost anything. We are simply saying that pro photos are not the most costly part of setting up a website.

Since this thread has become an argument about photography I’m going to force it into a break. If the OP needs more information she can send me a request and we can reopen and edit out all the photo nonsense.

1 Like