Semi-retired hosts? Anyone?

Well, I am not semi-retired but work full time as a software engineer. Also I manage a 4 bd house by myself and it is listed on a variety of platforms. I rent either room by room to individual people or the whole house to groups. I allow 1 nights stays, which means sometimes I have to stop by the house after work to clean it very frequently. This makes my day 12-13 hrs work.

Yes, I do feel burned out. Also if this were my only job I’d be bored to death. To me it’s a way to generate extra income and a security blanket for un uncertain future.

I bought it, renovated and decorated if after seeing too much of Fixer Upper episodes, but the glamor has long gone. Now it’s just work.

When I retire I don’t want to be doing this. I’ll either sell it or I’ll have a company do this for me and send me the money. I plan on retiring abroad, where the dollar stretches further.

If STR goes extinct I’ll sell it or come up with something else entirely, like an artist retreat of some sort. Actually this was my initial idea but I didn’t know how to translate it into a business plan in order to make money, so I put it on ABB.

2 Likes

so sad and so true. I know young couples who don’t want to have kids because of this.

Thank goodness I can only watch those shows when visiting my in-laws or staying at a hotel or Airbnb with cable tv.

1 Like

That is great! You guys are geniuses. Keep us posted, please.

Yeah, I was crazy, I know. Of course the renovation cost was much more than anticipated and took almost a year to complete and I had to fire people and hire people. I had the neighbors come in during the renovation and say “I wanted to buy it, but the amount of work required was too much”. Shortly, it was a foreclosure and it was not livable.
If I were to do it again I wouldn’t and I don’t want to deal with home renovations for the rest of my life.

2 Likes