Self harming guest?

I hosted a guest a few weeks ago and because kt was easier to communicate We talked via WhatsApp. It has been couple of weeks since check out and the guest was really enjoyable, full of interesting topics to chat about, intelligent and cultural. I thought it would be good to keep in touch since the conversation was very good and not empty like people I encounter most of the time. However the guest has shared with me some self harming experience, suicidal thoughts etc. He is in another continent and there is nothing I can help with but I am really worried. I would have nightmares if I knew I hosted someone who suicided few weeks later.

Really don’t know how i can help. I told him to talk to his family and support group etc, and I could help anything. But there is no way I can help. Anyone had some similar experience with an odd case like this?

1 Like

If you PM me the country I can send you some support outreaches.

3 Likes

I just sent you a PM

I agree about sending resources for help. Then I’d say CUT OFF contact. I’ve had a few acquaintances over the years decide I was going to be their mental health support / suicide watch person. I’m the only one they can talk to, etc.
I said NO WAY. I’d help a dear friend, but I’m not going to give free mental health care to an almost-stranger. I am wary of people exploiting my time, and I’m not a mental health professional.

3 Likes

Exactly. Best to help them get professional help.

1 Like

Thank you. I passed the information to the guest and the family also and wish them all the best. I haven’t replied after that and now I am getting endless messages. I might need to block the contact.

:frowning:

1 Like

Yes, you must cut off contact. You did as much as you could.

1 Like

I was getting messages like ‘are you there’, ‘please reply’ and so. Not healthy for the him and not for my family as well as I was starting being paranoid if he would or wouldn’t hurt himel anymore. Sad to say I have blocked him and his parents. :frowning:

It is very alarming to have this happen to someone you know.

1 Like

I don’t know that I would just block off complete contact if someone really is suicidal. Was this some crazy statement he just made out of the blue?

I don’t know his family situation…but family often times is not there for family members, and it can be unhealthy to turn to no good, manipulative family members. A lot of people have suicidal thoughts and they just need to be encouraged that this time in their life will pass. Is he talking about specific plans and a set date?

You mention you passed on the info to his family…did they also stay with you?

I don’t think his problem is related to any family member, more like he can’t find joy nowhere, a deep depression I would say. The family didn’t stay with me but I kept in touch with his parents and they are very nice people.
He didn’t make plans, he has in fact already overdosed with some medicine and was taken to the hospital unconscious.

I haven’t responded to the desperate messages for over a day now and blocked his contact yesterday.

:frowning:

I think this thread should be closed, Vera has done all she can.

1 Like