Security Deposits are Bad for Business

Cabinhost, the last sentence you shared seems to contradict what the agent told me! I will send her the quote. Thanks for this Cabinhost :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do wonder if they take a harder line with hosts who DONā€™T have a deposit!?

1 Like

This part, among others, concerns me. I take this to mean if a guest damages anything in my house that is not in the guestroom or guest bathroom, then itā€™s not covered.

I find I am increasingly disgusted with corporate America. Companies simply should not be allowed to make soothing, yet basically false statements such as ā€œThe Host Guarantee protects your home and your stuff from accidental damage. Every host with a listing on Airbnb is eligible for coverage at no additional cost. You donā€™t have to do anything to sign up.ā€ and ā€œHost Protection Insurance is designed to protect you from liability in case your guests get hurt or cause property damage. Itā€™s automatically included as part of your Airbnb account.ā€

These half truths are clearly designed to mollify and deceive. If a new host goes to sign up now, there arenā€™t even any hyper links from the above statements to invite them to explore further, read the terms and conditions, or anything.

1 Like

Chloe, I agree with you. I only found out about the House Guarantee yesterday on this forum. It seems Airbnb wants to keep this a secret. Or itā€™s just another mirage like the security deposit. Hosts canā€™t use it as Airbnb controls it and has the final say.

The friend who introduced me to ABB, had a guest break a counter top that was going to cost $400 to replace. Lodged a case and got paid. The customer did say it was not broken before arrival, but they though it was damaged afterwards. However the fact the case was lodged withing 2 hours of the guest leaving seemed to be important. Yes, they can be useless, but many times not. However, I place mine at $1200 where after that ABB is going to be paying if they donā€™t collect.

I checked with my insurance company, Erie, and they had actually talked to ABB about the program and terms. They felt they did not have to charge me any extra money for doing ABB. I did raise my liability umbrella to $2M for an extra $4/year.

One poster above said the deposit is for house rules. I have yet to get airbnb to use the deposit for breaking rules, especially for guests that sneak in pets. Has anyone been able to collect some of the deposit for for a house rule being broken? Their quote to me is, ā€œthats not what the deposit is for.ā€ When a guest blatantly breaks house rules and takes up hours of our time, how is that not damages? I would like airbnb to take a real deposit and give the host 100% control over it. Any host that abuses this would clearly be visible to airbnb, and also be subject to horrible reviews. I have not found any mechanism to enforce house rules and airbnb will not enforce with regards to trespassing, parking, cleaning, late check out, unauthorized pets, and pet poo. Has anyone been able to get airbnb to enforce house rules? thank you, Fairbnb

WINNER - BEST NECRO POST OF 2021! 4 1/2 YEARS old and itā€™s still ALIVE!
Maybe repost as a new post? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If thatā€™s what you want why not using listing companies that allow to you collect a deposit and use it as you wish. As you know thatā€™s not what you sign up to when you join Airbnb @Fairbnb