Season of Spammers?

We definitely weren’t ready to send a pre-approval, because initially the questions were somewhat off-putting. He started with “I’ve seen your apartment and it looks nice and clean.” and then the questions started: “Is the apartment well-ventilated? I don’t like stuffy environments.” (yes) Is there parking nearby? (yes) Is the parking public or private ?(public, a City Lot) Is it street parking? (no) This is where we kinda needed to pull the plug and at that point he called us “rubbish landlords.” I would rather a potential guest get questions answered prior to making a booking request. I do that myself when I’m considering booking a vacation home. But the long string led us to believe that he was not a legitimate potential tenant, especially as his parking questions were answered on the listing itself. Oh well. I just wanted to reach out and see if others are experiencing this sort of thing too, and it sounds as though it’s becoming a “thing.” Thanks for the feed back.

“Is the apartment well-ventilated? I don’t like stuffy environments.”

“No, it’s super stuffy and many guests have required hospitalization because they couldn’t breathe. You wouldn’t be comfortable here at all.”

4 Likes

LOL next time we’ll be better prepared to answer stupid questions. Thanks for the laugh!

1 Like

Got one yesterday.

Could you pl confirm,

1. if this place is safe and secured ?
  2. How clean is this place., I have allergy to dog / cat hair.
  3. Howz the noice level

I told him my place would not be suitable for him. I couldn’t come up with something funny.

1 Like

Well, it’s kind of a “thing”. People are reading less and less. They find it easier to ask questions than to read listings. :roll_eyes:

It’s not just listing info people don’t read these days. Reading in general seems to be waning. The age of the internet and and being able to watch movies at home every night has made people more interested in images than the written word.
And instead of going to the library and checking out books to learn how to do something, all you have to do is google a youtube video that shows you how.

You don’t have to pay attention in real time, because you can replay the video to rewatch what you missed. You can fall asleep in the middle of a movie and rewind it from when you fell asleep the next day. This mind set carries over to not paying attention when the host is showing you where the light switches are or how to work the door lock. And then think nothing of calling the host at 1am because they locked themselves out.

3 Likes

“It’s pretty noice” :wink:

1 Like

You didn’t realize that @house_plants had an accent? :grin:

2 Likes

haha, i was waiting for an Aussie (honorary Aussie Lisa) to make that comment.
yeah nah shazza, it’s supa noice.

this is legit an Aussie slang term for “nice”. A bogan word (kinda like a redneck but not quite)

3 Likes

And, to most of the world, Australian is indeed an accent :grin:

1 Like

“Australians use slang – in particular, ‘diminutives’ (shortened words) – more than any other English-speakers. In fact, there are more than 4300 shortened words recorded in Australia’s lexicon.”

It would just be nice if Aussies realized that no one else has a clue what they’re talking about. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I was in Australia a bunch of years ago for an extended stay. If I was speaking one to one with an Aussie, no problem, if there was a group, they were definitely speaking a foreign language.

Would love to go back, as a birder, it was the best!

2 Likes

I was bamboozled for quite awhile when I would read posts by Aussie hosts about how their guests left a mess of crumbs and grease and dirty dishes on the kitchen bench. It was finally explained to me that Aussies call a kitchen counter a bench.

There isn’t even any such definition of bench in English dictionaries, aside from referring to the sort of table or counterspace you would have in a workshop, i.e. a “workbench”.

1 Like

I’ve had MANY scammy requests, and a few bookings that went south fast, from guests who were recommended by only ONE host. Looks like one of the techniques is getting a good review, then letting the next host really have it.

Last weekend a guest with over 30 great reviews was awful… She booked on IB, then wanted me to cancel because she didn’t read listing, or checkin times, and not willing to pay for late checkin time, or extra bed, etc. Went back and forth a bit on who was going to cancel, not charge fees, etc. Finally I said, “You know, looks like this is not going to make you happy, and I want a happy guest. I’m going to take the hit and cancel you.”

Then I went through the process and guess what, there’s questions to answer if host cancels, and my experience didn’t quite fit the options, so eventually there is a place to explain, and REPORT the guest. Initially I said she let me know she was going to break rules, (arrive after check-in time, not pay for extra bed). then later I said she was argumentative…all of it in the thread.

Well, I felt pretty good and protected about being an Airbnb host …this time!

2 Likes

Legit I had lived here for almost a year before I finally realised that when Australians said “Ta” it meant “thank you.” I thought they were just spouting a random syllable. :laughing:

3 Likes

I just had a scammer. He sent an inquiry that said he needed a quiet place for two weeks to read his books. He wanted to book 1/15-1/30 but would be arriving two days before on 1/13 and that after check in his company would fully pay Airbnb. I responded “I’m sorry but this does not seem like a legitimate inquiry” and he responded “go to Hell.” I reported him but it seems like Airbnb hasn’t taken any action.

4 Likes

It can take some time for accounts to be deleted. It doesn’t necessarily happen immediately.

1 Like

Geez it makes you wonder how stupid this guy thinks people are. Are there really hosts who would fall for that?

2 Likes