Search Results | "Featured" Amenities List

If you’re in Manhattan and you offer Free Parking, that’s saying something! But if you’re on 5 acres in the country, you probably don’t need to talk about it. If your listing is in India or Thailand and you offer A/C, brag about it! But if it’s anywhere in the US, you probably don’t need to mention it. Similar could be said about Wi-Fi. And so on. . .

So that leads me to what I’m observing in search. Airbnb decides to feature amenities on the results list that undersell pretty much all listings in the example below, and especially mine (at least at a glance). Of course, we have Free Parking, heating, and Wi-Fi! And of course there’s a Kitchen (it’s a whole house listing, so that’s just redundant).

So what I’m asking is: Do we have the ability to dictate the Amenities List that’s presented in search results?

For example, Cottage on the Rock (below) has a hot tub, hammock, W/D on premises, fire pit, etc. I’d like to list those amenities to jump of the page to someone browsing. Instead, these lame 3-4 amenities are listed for everyone and I can’t talk about the cool stuff I’m doing.

Has anyone else thought about this - or better - fixed it to list the amenities you’d like to feature in search?

No.

Sure you can, just not in the search results. All you can control in what appears there is your lead picture and your listing title. So that together with appearing high in search results hopefully gets someone to at least click on your listing. Then they see that first paragraph before they have to click on more to read the rest. So you can change that. Personally I put important info in my listing title because that’s what I think works best for me. But if I were trying to build a brand or I wanted folks to look for me off Airbnb to see if they could save money direct booking then I’d have a name like “Cottage on the Rock.” But your listing name could be “Hot tub, firepit & hot cocoa.”

BTW Airbnb has a pet fee now but your text says if you are bringing a pet you need to “add another adult to your booking.” That’s kind of confusing plus if someone has 4 adults and a dog then they can’t add another adult because you have a limit of 4 adults. So you should fix that.

4 Likes

I just put a bulleted list in my expanded description. I’m not sure many people even read the amenities list. I have trouble getting them to read beyond the line under my home picture.

2 Likes

Just as an FYI -AC in the US is still very important. I won’t book a place in the summer months without it.

4 Likes

@Lynick4442 is correct. There are lots of listings in the US, specifically in my area, New England, that don’t provide A/C. It is the most common question I get from guests who are booking in the summer months (even though it’s highlighted by ABB and listed in my amenities).

But it is annoying that they are highlighting it currently in December with snow expected this week :roll_eyes:

1 Like

lol, when I first saw that we had to list heat in NE, it really made me wonder too.

1 Like

A host from San Antonio once posted that Airbnb had highlighted “Fireplace” on her listing. In July.

Right! The point I was (poorly) making was that if I was going to feature 4 amenities in search, putting A/C on that list wouldn’t be one of them. I want to feature unique amenities that set me apart. Way beyond A/C.

And don’t get me wrong, I always select the A/C checkbox on my filter when I’m searching/staying ANYWHERE just to be sure. But I wouldn’t necessarily require a hot tub/hammock/firepit on my search criteria. I’d rather those amenities be told to me while I’m scrolling as a user.

Since @KKC told us unequivocally/immediately that we can’t change the amenities list on search, it’s a moot point :frowning:

1 Like

You hit on something really neat. I did a quick test, via incognito browser. It seems that the “key amenities” presented in the search view may be “Location Contextual”?
For instance, in our area, they only seem to target and highlight these four:

2 Likes

@Jefferson Very interesting!

I hope that this says that the amenity attributes can be location contextual, then perhaps one day they’ll let hosts dictate what we present to guests in search?

Obviously, few will be as hard core/obsessed as some of us on here. . . Updating what’s presented is a lot of work! So by default, the system could present the existing location contextual list and then hosts could have the option of what to present to guests if they decided to take those additional steps.

Dare to dream. . .

1 Like