Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

Scared to use AIR for potential month long rental, other suggestions?

My husband and I have been doing AIR for about 2 months only on weekends. Our longest stay has been 3 nights. I don’t know much about other sites like homeaway, and I’m wondering if another site is better suited. We will be on the road for 3 weeks to a month and it is our home that we rent out. I have always done greeting/key exchange in person and I always go straight home after guests have checked out and we have always been 45 minutes away in case something happens. We are on a tight budget for our trip and it would be amazing if we could offset the cost, but I’m feeling apprehensive about not being in town… Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Got a friend? A best friend? A best friend who would take a few bucks to check people in and out and basically manage for you? Hopefully someone a lot closer than 45 minutes. That’s what I would do.

1 Like

When my daughter and I went to Italy for almost the entire month of June, I hired one of my daughter’s friend’s mother, who cleans homes for a living to clean while we were away. I bribed (paid her) well to do the job. My situation is different than most as I am in a place where I get $300-$350/night in the summers, so I paid her $200/cleaning. I bought enough towels, duvet covers, sheets, dish towels, etc. that I washed and ironed before I left so that she didn’t have to do laundry. Since she is fully booked during the day, I blocked out the night before and after each stay during our absence so that my cleaner had 24+ hours to clean (which I took as a cost of going on vacation). She did not greet our guests. However, I notified my guests that I would be in Italy (after they booked) and kept in constant contact with them while away. I have a keyless entry so guests can do self check-in. I also had my handyman on notice that he would be paid well to take care of any problems that my cleaner couldn’t handle.

My cleaner made $1200, for which she was very grateful. I made $5000, which greatly off-set the cost of the trip. No disasters so I didn’t have to pay my handyman anything. All of the guest were super gracious and were awesome. One set broke a little ceramic bird but – hey, I was in Italy – so I bought a handmade snail to replace it ($12 – I usually buy this stuff at thrift stores but I couldn’t resist the snail). I received five stars from all of my guests.

I think the key components are – cleanliness (a professional cleaner is much better than a friend who thinks they know how to clean), and vigilant communication. I was even able to book future guests while I was abroad,

Had I stayed home, I would have made at least $8000. But the trip to Italy? Like the MasterCard ad says, “Priceless”!

2 Likes

Annika, that one time when i went away, AC unit broke. It was 22 years old AC, i know it was old, but did it have to be broken when i was away. During my daughter’s graduation ceremony i had to stay on a phone with my AC guy trying to figure out things, when my guests were baking in 95F heat.
I would strongly advice to have someone close by, a friend or family member in case of emergency. Or if you have a cleaning person who can greet guests, its not uncommon.
Also, will you have a phone connection while you are away?
I have 2 people who take care of my house: pool guy and a miantenance guy , who i can call at anytime and ask to help.
I would not just leave my house to a guest without having anyone at all in case something happens.
In my opinion Airbnb is the best site to deal with in case of a problem. I dealt with other sites, and they really carry no responcibility for you

1 Like
Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!