Safety of keys beware of distraction theft

Having received an e mail saying that my complaint would be investigated 3 days later I am still waiting for an employee"to reach out to me." We have a very limited window in France to report theft to the police or make an insurance claim so made the insurance claim yesterday in the hope of retrieving some of the €1600 euros it cost for 2 replacement locks. Anyone out there have any advice as to what to do now. Needless to say the review given was complete fiction including gems like the sun didn’t shine on the terrace for long enough. If it possible to get malicious reviews removed?

I don’t have any experience with reporting a claim, so maybe someone here who has experience can offer better advice than just to follow up right away. That’s the only thing I can suggest to do.

As far as the review, see if they violated any terms and maybe you can get it removed.

From Air’s site:

We believe in free speech, transparency, and clear communication. When creating a review, we ask that you stick to the facts. The best reviews provide constructive information that helps the community make better decisions.

Airbnb’s default position is not to censor, edit, or delete reviews. However, we reserve the right to remove reviews that violate our content policy.

We don’t allow:

Reviews that do not represent a user’s personal experience .
Reviews unrelated to the actual reservation (ex: political, religious, or social commentary).
Content that endorses or promotes illegal or harmful activity or violence, or is profane, vulgar, obscene, defamatory, threatening, or discriminatory.
Content that violates another person’s or entity’s rights, including intellectual property rights and privacy rights (ex: publishing another person’s full name, address or other identifying information without permission).
Content that is proven to be used as extortion.
Content that refers to an Airbnb investigation.

I would still see if you can get it removed even if you can’t find a violation. Did you leave them a review?

OK guys it gets even better. Came home this evening to a notice in the lobby of my home saying please be vigilant there have been attempted breakins in this building. Then there was an e mail asking how Sinead had dealt with my case. Um Sinead has not contacted me. Phoned Airbnb and spoke to Crystal who was useless and supposedly put me on hold for a supervisor. Listened to the “follow me” music for 10 minutes before I gave up. Then spoke to Adam who finally put me through to Kayleigh a supervisor who will make sure simeone reaches out to me soon. Definitely banging my head against a brick wall. Anyone out there have any advice?

1 Like

It’s best to post via Air’s Facebook page or twitter – someone from Air will get in touch with you to resolve this. They respond the most quickly when it’s on their public forum as they like to avoid bad press.

4 Likes

I am so angry, whilst I understand that there are 2 sides to a story my neighbours have been put at risk by Airbnb’s refusal to release full contact details of the renter and I am still waiting for someone to reach out to me. It will be the press next.

1 Like

Have the police asked for the guests identity? At the very least they could check to see if there are any priors…like break and enters or theft.

Edited to add: or if their identity is even real.

Here we have a time limit of 5 days to report theft and make insurance claim. Today is day 6 so when I did the police report as Airbnb wouldn’t divulge( or declined to answer my request) I just had to say I had lost the keys. If Airbnb had divulged I feel my neighbours wouldn’t be in this position. Surely they should prioritise key theft above other issues but two and a half hours on from tonight’s phonecall I am still waiting for someone to “reach out to me”

Did you post on their Facebook page, I didn’t see your post there. As you can see from previous posts, someone from Air responds to problem and crisis posts fairly quickly. Good luck.

Sounds like a name that was popular when my boys were born 21 years ago. Hope you get resolution!

Just posted the whole sorry saga on facebook and unsurprisingly it is not showing. Have they found a way if moderating posts?

Just back from rental flat as back to back changeover today. There are technicians working on the electronic entry system to the building after an incident there. Two coincidences? I do not think so - still no visible post on the facebook page and nothing from Airbnb.

1 Like

It’s unsurprising? Alternative - write about the whole thing somewhere else - in a blog or somewhere. Maybe someone here can provide a place to write. Then publicly tweet the url of your story to Airbnb. A tweet has a severe character limit, but briefly mention the content of your url in the tweet.

I don’t know if Airbnb controls the contents of their Facebook page. Maybe let someone else have a go posting on Facebook? Maybe something went wrong with the posting?

Oh, and definitely mention the stuff about attempted break ins if you write the story.

If you don’t want to escalate right away, you could send Airbnb a private message via Twitter, unless you have done that already. If nothing happens, you can then try a public tweet. But personally it sounds like you’ve already tried to get their attention enough.

2 Likes

Aaron finally reached out to me about an hour ago. So it took maybe 12 hours short of a week when I had said from the outset that I felt vulnerable.Basically if I can’t prove it or give evidence of them doing the act then my insurance picks it up but they will consider paying the insurance excess if I make a claim. No mention of what happens about the need for a deep clean after they smoked in my non smoking rental and left it in a generally unacceptable state.
I said my main concern is that this stunt is pulled again as it was so slickly carried out and what guarantees we have that they won’t be able to.

Hi @jillthepill1,

So, what did Airbnb say they would do, if anything? I think some of us are interested. I certainly am. Also, do you have surveillance cameras in the public areas of your building? And in the entrance to your rental?

According to the attached, the original poster must receive permission from the local government to install surveillance cameras. According to just about everyone, the bureaucracy in France works at a glacial pace.

http://www.surveillance-and-society.org/articles2(2)/regulation.pdf

Hi @EllenN,

Well, that’s unfortunate. Thanks for the link. It was educational.

I think the answer is they are doing nothing. I have asked the question again as to me it is unacceptable that future hosts should share my experience. Ultimately I suppose they can always book as part of a group and not the group leader.
In France new builds are beginning to put in CCTV but older buildings like mine there is nothing.

Yes the answer is they are doing nothing but if I can provide documentary proof by Sunday of what my insurance company will cover they will consider paying my excess. I filed the claim on Tuesday, no insurance company processes claims that quickly. As for the renters they are free to rent again. There is no proceedure to bill the renter for extra cleaning when they break house rules and smoke in your non smoking rental and leave it in an unacceptable state. Have asked for the review to be removed but doubt that even that will happen. Seems you are on your own folks.

Hi @jillthepill1,

Have you posted anything publicly? I see no reason not to. See my comments above.

Also, haven’t you left these people a bad review already?

Today they have said they will consider paying the excess when my household insurance settles. Worryingly they basically say “verification” means little other than an e mail address and an online profile.