Ruleset to account for no cleaning fee

In Mexico, all prices on consumer goods include the 16% goods and services tax, which I think is great. Your receipt will show the breakdown, but the marked price doesn’t, so no surprises at the till.

On airline tickets, it’s important to me to see a breakdown, because all tickets into Mexico include the tourism tax, but as I am a resident, I am exempt from paying that and have to notify the airline of that status when I book, so it is deducted from the ticket price.

I think someone will create a chrome extension to fix it. But a large company like Airbnb can’t fix it. They are too busy figuring out how to screw hosts.

2 Likes

It’s just so strange. I’d think that someone who works there might at least draw something on a whiteboard to illustrate in simple terms just exactly how these newer policies are all conflicting with one another. High expectations, I know.

I can only assume that the team who came up with the “any week” search never ever runs into anyone from the team that came up with the “total price toggle” who then never ever runs into anyone from the team that came up with “hosts should drop their cleaning fees and pay the whole service fee”. Even if they never use the same elevators or lunch room you’d think they might at least chat at the “Let’s Reinvent the Wheel Conference” that they clearly all attend every year :rofl:

6 Likes

having worked at large companies, I know many managers and teams create more work for themselves so they can get more head count and get bigger bonuses. They are all fighting each other internally and often trying to undermine other teams.

Not surprising that so many things are broken in Airbnb software releases. What I appreciate is that they do an excellent job at marketing, so new guests keep coming in. I know most of the marketing is just dressed up lies, but the world works on lies.

2 Likes

Haha. I sent them feedback years ago about how confusing their wording is on the prep days setting and that they needed to change it. I have read countless posts from hosts who think 1 day prep time will block 2 days between bookings, because in fact, that is what it indicates.
“1 day prep time- Block one night before and after each reservation.”

Nowhere does it explain that the one night after doubles up as the one night before. Why not just say “Block one night between bookings”, since that’s what it does and is the logical way to explain the setting, which everyone would understand.

Thank god their copy writers aren’t writing technical manuals for airplane mechanics.

3 Likes

And I’m sure they talk to each other in the lunch room.

“Hey Dexter, I just totally revamped the host dashboard. Wanna take bets on how long it’ll take hosts to figure out how to find where I buried their upcoming reservations, (yuk, snort, yuk)? I’ll bet CS’s phones are ringing off the hook. Hey, stop hogging the organic cheezies.”

its a good idea, but in my area im sorta forced to drop my rates little by little as dates approach to keep my calendar full. i have been struggling with the whole push to eliminate cleaning fees, and already only charge $90 even though my house cleaner charges me $110

its frustrating to me i wish airbnb and vrbo would allow you to adjust cleaning fees on certain dates as opposed to the way the setup currently is, sometimes, especially on the weekends i would be able to clean the house myself and could set those dates for no cleaning fees.

Why? You are making this difficult for yourself. Just set a cleaning fee that is (for example) 50% of what you have now. No need for guests to have a diff fee based on your schedule.

Why? You are making this difficult for yourself. Just set a cleaning fee that is (for example) 50% of what you have now. No need for guests to have a diff fee based on your schedule.

Why is simple, i like being able to count on income and expenses. I don’t like rolling the dice and telling myself it will average out in time. Some months i get long stays, some short, if i need my cleaner, its $110, if i can do it myself, its free. I want my costs and earnings to reflect what I put into the business.

I understand that it will average out, i really do, but offering flexibility to hosts as well as guests is never a bad thing.

This.
We have no cleaning fee and pay 100% of the service charge. So guests only ever have tax added to the rate. We upped our nightly rates by certain percentages to make us come out ahead even while appearing to be a “better” deal because there none of those “extra charges” all the Internet is so heated about.

Once our last guest who did pay a cleaning fee checks out next week, we’ll update the description and check out message to highlight that we don’t’ charge any extra fees. And our “chores” are just to take the trash to the outside bin and the rinse the dishes and leave in sink.

1 Like

I envision two high posts in the organization: Director of Guest Experience and Director of Host Experience, and they’ve probably never even met, much less gone out to lunch together. But they both answer to someone who wants them to focus on making more money for the Company.

1 Like

As a former aircraft mechanic, and pilot, I concur.

1 Like

We do have a Head of Hosting- Catherine Powell, a former Disney marketing exec. When she first came onboard, she was posting videos telling us all the great ways she was going to represent hosts. One of her most epic comments was that we should disclose if there might be leaves that had blown into the pool in case a guest complained about that. As she got pretty much nothing but negative feedback from hosts for pretty much everything she posted, she has now become invisible. I have no idea what she does, but her compensation for it is obscene. (While Airbnb gluts the market by constantly soliciting new hosts to sign up and pressures hosts to lower their prices)

“As Global Head of Hosting at Airbnb, Inc., Catherine Powell made $9,601,996 in total compensation. Of this total $600,000 was received as a salary, $650,000 was received as a bonus, $4,656,420 was received in stock options, $3,683,302 was awarded as stock and $12,274 came from other types of compensation. This information is according to proxy statements filed for the 2021 fiscal year.”