Routinely replying to guest review - yes or no?

I have the same experience. I do IB but many guests still want to have a conversation before booking. Having said that, if I was renting out an entire property and not nearby to check on things I would not want to have IB. Does anyone know, or can hazard a guess, if the forced IB on new hosts is completely random or targetted at live-in hosts? It’s a terrible idea, either way.

1 Like

I asked Airbnb for a coupon for a Cancer Fundraiser where I offered a free night - I wanted them to pay the booking fees. They said yes!

1 Like

https://www.airbnb.com/gift

1 Like

I reply publicly to almost every review - especially the generous ones. The curt, short ones not so much.

1 Like

Ah, very observant of you K9. I missed the 14-day deadline to leave a review on that one guest most recently, even wrote to the people and told them why. I do reply to all reviews normally because it is my nature to try to connect with people at a personal level, during their actual stay, so it also follows after their public review.

My style with guests helps me discover what we DO have in common as humans at the most basic level, and that is what I focus on. Keep in mind, for most people, staying at this little island facilitates strong personal connections.

Last month some guests did this film, ( https://features.wearemel.com/watch-your-own-private-island-for-just-395-a-night-18467a36211d#.fdw1adcb3 ), for what reason I have no idea.

3 Likes

Wow, that is fantastic :slight_smile:

BNB are forcing a percentage of new hosts to use IB. No explanation as to why and they refuse to take IB off when new hosts ask.

So people are telling me. That’s scary. I was thinking of IB earlier. But I think that takes my chances of trying IB down to approximately 0.

1 Like

Great video @Mearns! There’s something to be said for seeing a place this way vs. still photography. Really brings it to life.

Wow! Wow! Just wonderful. Now your legendary island is really brought to life in this forum, @Mearns.
I’ve promised to our kids to take them to New York with the future Air money, but I’m beginning to wonder… maybe we should change the plans :slight_smile:

This is the first video I’ve seen of your island, and YOU! Love the island and how can anyone NOT want to go there? You are a fascinating person, I can see why guests may want to take the time to talk to you. I also commend you for offering the island at a price point that many people can reach, you could charge 3x as much and still be booked years ahead.

Thanks for your kind comments, all. Since last week I been answering 50 emails from past guests wondering how the island fared during Hurricane Earl, always calling it ‘our little island’. Interesting.

1 Like

Do you think there’s benefit to replying to each (or maybe every other) review with a thank you and a reminder that I offer recurring guest discounts or a discount in the low season should they choose to visit again? That way I can create an opportunity for past guests to visit again and I’m also letting new guests know I’ll offer them a low season discount. It may still be distracting for potential new guests to scroll through or it may also trigger more requests from guests asking for a first-stay discount. But all in all, I think I’d mention it in my replies to reviews rather than in the main listing description or elsewhere like my profile where past guests are most likely not going to see it.

We do. We put in the same thing as the our review of the guests, eg. “Diane was a great guest and we would welcome them again…” but we leave out any negative parts (so sometimes they are short). For negative reviews, we say sorry, but point out any inaccuracies.

I would not want to stay with a host that responds to all the reviews - it would make me think they are too concerned with the rating system, trying too hard to be overly friendly, and may get in my business too much. I do not like an overly invasive host, or one that just tries too hard. I just want a clean place with a pleasant host that is not going to bother me.

3 Likes

Is Air forcing IB on people listing a private room too, as part of this test group? If I host after my baby arrives, I am going to be really picky about who stays here, and would probably rather not host at all than use IB.

This thread has been an eye-opener for me - the differing perceptions people have about responding to a guest review. I’ve only had a couple guests through Airbnb, but have replied with a brief thank you for their review, telling them I enjoyed their stay with me. I never considered a down side to thanking them publicly.

As for replying to a bad review, I don’t know if I would respond. My grandmother used to say “consider the source”, so I tend not to publicly defend myself.

Hopefully I will have enough guests in the future that thanking them publicly becomes too time consuming! But even then I might pay someone to do so. :wink:

I’m really happy I found this site. There’s so much to learn.

I thank people for being good guests since once I have thanked one person I feel guilty if I don’t keep thanking all of them.