Rookie Host Introduction

Hi fellow hosts! I’ve already posted a couple times, but I figured I should back up and introduce myself properly. My wife and I have just purchased a vacation property and decided to offer it on Airbnb while we are not there. I’ve already learned so much here and want to thank everyone in advance for the advice and entertainment!

6 Likes

Happy to provide the entertainment! Errr, I mean the advice! And welcome! :rofl::tada:

6 Likes

We give ADVICE…hmmm… think I’m in the wrong place!

4 Likes

@MtnGoat - Not to try and sell you on VRBO or Homeaway, but did you consider them as a listing site? Those sites were started to rent out entire homes (second, retirement, and vacation homes), but AirBnB was started to rent out extra “space”.

I’m just curious if VRBO and Homeaway are so far behind AirBnB in the public consciousness that you haven’t even heard of them, or did not know what they offer.

1 Like

I’m aware of them but don’t like their terms and they don’t have enough traffic for my city.

1 Like

This is a great place for advise, You learn a lot when hosting, you get an International feel with this forum, and just reading or asking questions is great. I have listened to loads of great comments and advice over the years. Sometimes, you need an opinion away from your partner or children, somewhere here can point out something that you may have never thought of. I was a totally naive host in the beginning but I was put on the right track here.

4 Likes

Thanks! Actually I did read up on home away and VRBO, but like Helsi, I really wasn’t happy about terms and costs. Airbnb has been working great. All but 2 weekends since I’ve had it up have been booked, and with winter season starting soon, I already have bookings in November and December. I’m sure I’ll be here often to pick your brains!

@Helsi. @MtnGoat -
May I ask what you did not like about the terms and conditions for VRBO/Homeaway?
I listed there first, and I don’t like the “nanny state” attitude of AirBnB. I treat my rentals as a true business, and do everything on an above-board basis. I don’t cheat my guests, and I hate the process of an intermediary (AirBnB) making decisions on my behalf. I understand why they do it, for places that rent out a bedroom or an air mattress, but we rent out our entire home when we are not there, and treat it like a private hotel.

@PitonView - sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. Even though on VRBO/Homeaway you probably get a little more exposure ( I think they own 3 sites right? ) I am not happy with their choice of either the $349 annual fee or 10% booking fee. Also, I don’t think their host insurance is free if I remember correctly. But the biggest reason is that the resort town where my listing is doesn’t have as many listings as Airbnb.

@MtnGoat -
I would think less competition in your area is a good thing, not a bad thing. They own a lot of sites, including many internationally.

Well, they are becoming another AirBnB, so as long as AirBnB brings you as many bookings as you want, there’s no reason to list anywhere else. My prices are on the higher side, so I need to attract as many “eyeballs” as possible, therefore I list on many sites.

@PitonView …wait maybe I worded that last part wrong! It seems that not many guests use those sights as opposed to airbnb in my area. Airbnb seems to be working great so far. I hAve been booked every weekend thus far since I made it available in early July. It would be nice to book some weekdays, but the area it’s in doesn’t attract a lot of tourists during the week except during winter/ski season. We shall see.

My listing is on the cheaper side, I am erring on the side of caution being new, and hoping that expectations will be low and when they get there the guests would be more impressed. So far I think it’s working.