Reviews from foreigners (American listings)

I am in the USA. I wasn’t trying to say that the developers are xenophobic. Someone who responded to me said that Americans prefer to see reviews from other Americans. Thinking that an American’s opinion of my place is more valuable than a foreigner’s opinion is, to me, a sign of xenophobia and nationalism.

A duvet in Florida? I thought it was hot! Yep I heard about the kettle thing, I don’t get it as I like to go more native but my Mum takes a travel one with her if there isn’t one. Crazy!

I would like to see reviews in chronological order, NOT clustered by country. Most of my European reviews are in English anyway, then there’s always the option to translate. It’s a global age! If the reviews are clustered by country they might be out of date or unrepresentative. Say I have only one bad review and that happens to be Portuguese, then no more guests from Portugal. Stupid!

3 Likes

Yep, I would like to control how my reviews appear i.e. chronologically.

1 Like

I am very happy with this. My reviewers from Country X (no, not the US) tend to be fussier about value and cleanliness as they have live-in guest worker “slaves” from a poor nearby country who spend all day cleaning and dusting making sure no fly or ant survives 5 seconds after it appears and copious five star resorts nearby with hot and cold running infinity pools and 24/7 free room service that practically pay you to stay there. That’s what it seems like to me anyway. So only people from that country see them and if they don’t book I am not unhappy about it.

2 Likes

No, they see reviews from people from Russia and nearby countries first, no matter in which language they were written. To me they first show reviews left by Croatians, then Slovenians and Italians, although 90% of them are in English.

I think you’ve really twisted what people are saying.
Airbnb has been kind enough to arrange reviews by nationality-according-to-the-browsing guest, not the language the review was written in. Imagine some Americans having to wade through the most recent reviews, if they were written in Greek.
A German guest gets to see some German reviews first (even if written in English), and an American guest gets to see reviews written by (fellow) Americans, presumably, even if those American reviews were written in Dutch.

Calling on GutHend for a new poll.
I am firmly in the “show the most recent reviews first” group.
Why? Even as I am typing this the mobile app here is giving me a review from April 2018 first then 3 or 4 others going back to 2016 …so what the heck. I guess all Costa Rican reviews first …out of over 600 reviews, but really, who cares about 2016 or 2012 in reviews.

So …what are you all seeing when opening this listing of mine?

And, for those that do come across the spiteful review from one Dianne on page xxx (let me know the page please), who is a veterinary assistent, arrived after 9pm, ordered breakfast for 8am, then figured out their plane is leaving at 8am and checked out at 5am (less 9 hours stay)
…shall or shall I not reply?

1 Like

Here review is the second one on the first page. All the reviews on the first page are from Mar/April/May 2018 so recent enough.

I wouldn’t reply.

1 Like

Hers was the 2nd one on the first page but I saw your 5 star ratings and read a few more of the reviews and if I was looking for a place in your area her review wouldn’t stop me from booking. However, I might ask if you have added a net over the bed!

I also would not reply.

1 Like

I”m glad that the foreign reviews are buried. Right now it is working in my favor.

I think Air may be using nationality as a proxy for language, maybe it’s just easier to program that way. (One step country location of potential guest synched with country location of reviewers rather than multi-step, what language is the review in, what country(ies) is that language associated with for majority of speakers, synch the “language-country(ies)” with the potential guest country). To ensure that I as an American and likely English-speaker don’t see a bunch of reviews not in my (putative) language first. Just guessin’ here.

1 Like